1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My son can't get a job at his college because...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Clay, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

...his parents are too "well off". Together, working an IT job and my wife working retail, we barely make a little past 6 figures. Because of this, my son CANNOT have any job at his college. He applied for a job in the library and the science lab. Even though NOT ONE other college student has applied for the job, he cannot have it. So the only people that can have the job are non-students. What kind of complete and utter BS is that? My son is looking for jobs that will help him advance his career and studies in pre-med and just plain something he'd enjoy. But no, he's apparently only allowed to work in fast food, as his parents are "rich". Damn that's laughable.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Private or state?

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

When were applications open? My Daughter goes to Wake Forest and applied late for her job up there.... The only thing left was the Police Dept on Campus... She was so mad and all upset... I told her she could be the coolest kid on campus... She said how is that going to happen with me working for the Police Dept? I told her to show up to a Party in the Security Golf Cart with a Keg in the back....

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

We actually scratched quite a few colleges off of the list when looking at schools for my oldest daughter because of excessive social justicey programs like that. Rice in Houston was about the worst. If you made over $80k as a family there was zero assistance for you and the jobs on campus were reserved for the "underprivileged". The same underprivileged that we were told would leave Rice with no more than $5k a year in student loans because part of everyone elses tuition is used for paying for the broke kids. It is really interesting how some of those colleges tend to try to punish people for being reasonably successful and / or fiscally responsible and saving for the kids education.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

College is slowly working towards being the next NFL which is a shame.

6. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

He should look around town for some business that will help him in his field. [Practically any business experience will help virtually any college student]
    Apply for jobs off campus.
    There are more things to do than ask if someone needs fries with their burger.
    Even working as a waiter or barkeep will teach him valuable life skills.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Tell this college that because you are so well off, you're looking for a better college for your son, and by better - you mean one that will employ him.
    This college he's attending can join the ranks of "better colleges" by employing him, or they can pack sand.
    Seriously, fuck the stupid shit. Is that the type of educational institution you want indoctrinating your son? I wouldn't pay them a dime.

And, no, he can't get a fast food job either. He's overqualified.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Why are they looking at your income for his job?

tiggen and Boman Forklift like this.
  9. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

He should identify as one that is not from a well off family and whatever demographic that is allowed to have these jobs.

But, f*ck...what has the world become.

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Tell him to lie, say his parents are dead.

I've already let my son know that he needs to be honest with his mother and I at all times, but he can lie to the education system if needs be and I will back him on it.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

To the O/P.....sounds like you're another victim of that white privilege!

working towards???? They got there way before the NFL did.

_indy likes this.
  12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

No one that is unemployed is overqualified. If that is the lesson he gets out of this then that is a plus.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Sadly it is not that easy. I had to provide more financial information to the college than I did for my last mortgage just so my kids could have access to the scholarships that they earned...

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Because, unless he has been living on his own, financial aid (money or work study) is usually determined by parental assets. Students don't usually have any.

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Bummer, I didn't realize you had to do that. I don't like what college is becoming.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Werd. My daughter's FAFSA applications couldn't be fully processed until my tax returns were uploaded.

Boman Forklift and cav115 like this.
  17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Are you saying that anyone that is unemployed is qualified?
    I would beg to differ...

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

Well you'll get a whole bunch more money now with the new tax plan

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

College costs will simply increase to negate any increase.

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Yep. And alot of academic scholarships are tied to the FAFSA application so even if you do not need the student loan money you still need to fill out the FAFSA application. As a student it would be pretty hard to hide parents financial info to get in to a more desirable category.