1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My son can't get a job at his college because...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Clay, Jan 9, 2018.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

and another reason not to get married, and say the other spouse is a deadbeat, true or not

2. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I get the financial aid part, but the work part makes no sense to me.

3. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

As many have mentioned, there's no way getting around what I earn. It's a part of the entire college application process now. It's just community college, but he also has a full scholarship so he's getting his stupid requirements out of the way before moving onto a bigger school. He just wants a job that involves more than flipping burgers. He's looking, a lot. There's just not a lot out there for college kids with weird schedules that actually involve using your brain vs just plain manual labor.

What I just found absolutely mind boggling is that they'd let the job go unfilled vs giving it to some "rich white kid". I can't even begin to consider myself "high income". 100k isn't even close to what it was just 10 years ago, especially for a family of 4. Regardless, you have a student standing here wanting to WORK, and yet he's denied the opportunity even when no one else is applying. In what world does this make sense?

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

uhh...it'll only make the rich richer with him working.

5. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

For some idiotic reason, working on campus is considered "aid".

6. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

What if your parents are millionaires and don't give you a dime?

7. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Makes you think huh? While I grew up on the poor side of things, by the time I went to college my parents were doing pretty well as my father built a business from the ground up. I paid for college! My father was self made and expected the same of me. I worked in the library and had many jobs through all of it. Today that wouldn't be allowed. :-/

StaccatoFan likes this.
  8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

College administrators are far more concerned with perception than reality.

9. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Read the quote within your response for the letters missing....

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'ma need a prominent university to help me figure out your point.
    It eludes me how a plus can be deduced from getting a lesson out of "no one unemployed is overqualified", let alone the lesson. <dunno>

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Their financial status matters regardless of what they give you. Hell, decades ago when my wife was trying to work her way through school she applied for Pell Grants. She couldn't get one because her mom owned a home. Their low after her father left didn't matter, the ownership knocked her out of the running. It has NOT gotten better or more fair. If you have nothing you get a free ride. If you have a lot, they expect your parents to cover your cost. There is a huge segment in the middle where the cost is a significant burden, but in the interest of "fairness" are left with only loans unless you work your way through or you parents have saved for your college.

crashman likes this.
  12. sheepofblue

If you are not working then no job is to good for you, flip the @#$#@ burger if that is all you can get. Thinking you are to good for a job is OK if you currently have something better, otherwise you need to be bitch slapped into next week.

Your edit was to eliminate 'over' from qualified. Of course not everyone is qualified for every job.

Sorry if the previous posts were to terse.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

From what I understand many of those jobs are paid by the Feds under the work study program. That’s why it’s considered aid. It’s not up to the college because they ultimately don’t underwrite the wages for the job. Write your Congress critter I guess.

College degrees in America are ridiculously overproduced which is why we have the high prices and shitty returns we do now.

He can join a reserve or National Guard unit and complete training and when he goes back to school he would be considered financially independent. Could be a chance to learn a career applicable technical skill as well.

The Federal aid scale hasn’t kept up with inflation, so the middle class gets screwed again. $100k a year in Southern California won’t even buy you a house. You’d be lucky to get a crappy 2 bedroom condo in a 1950s complex.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Even back in the Dark Ages when I went to college, campus jobs at my state school were considered part of the "financial aid" package.

Once someone is a junior, if they have special skills they may qualify for an academic appointment. I managed to snare an appointment normally reserved for grad students at the Theater Center as an Audio Engineer when I returned to school as a junior - because no grad student was qualified or wanted it. That and two other part-time jobs paid for my last two years of school.

The coolest thing about the academic appointment was that I had direct access to the stacks at the library, and could walk the stacks and pull books for research for classes without having to stand in line and submit slips to have the books pulled. they also had study cubicles in the stacks, which proved very useful.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

And you missed my point...
    You can't get a job flippin' burgers if you have "privilege"...goin' to school, don't qualify for aid, etc.
    It ain't just colleges that won't offer you support...no matter how badly you think you need/want the/a job. If burgers are the only game in town, you ain't playin'...they won't let you.

16. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Was told that if the parents are divorced, there is more financial aid available.

17. dtalbott

Pre-med? Is he looking for paying jobs or volunteer jobs that will help him?

18. sheepofblue

And yet I have had people of all types serve me at various outlets. Can’t guarantees failure. My philosophy is I have been thrown out of better places than this. So no job try again until you get your nose under the sod.

beac83 likes this.
  19. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Paying job to put towards his schooling. He has been working. He was a biscuit maker at Hardee's. Getting up at 3am was a bit hard on him but he did stay until a new employee was found and trained to take his spot. He was hoping to get the job in the science dept as his professor said no one had applied. Then today he got the wonderful news. So now he's most likely going to take a job at a friend's restaurant. He's payed for 100% of his schooling through his scholarship and job (books still cost). He's saved around 3k for his future expenses.

20. dtalbott

Christopher is thinking pre-med, too. He volunteers in the local ER, got his EMT and is going to volunteer with the ambulance teams at UVA.

Still no paying job, though.