1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mr. Burns strikes again

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Rat, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

2. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

....and Cheney doesn't have a conflict of interest in IRAQ....BS!!!

3. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

Being a slimeball and getting rich while the little guys get screwed has nothing to do with Iraq, but it has a lot to do with being an a$$hole (or just substitute "politician") :D

4. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

how much did halliburton make in IRAQ last year.... or when cheney was boss....

hell how much they will make from the rebuilding contracts....

...right......he has nothing to gain in IRAQ....how much stock does he own??

5. John Ulrich

John Ulrich Well-Known Member

Okay, let me get this straight:

Cheney used to work for the company in question, and didn't get screwed, so now it's his fault that the company is screwing some other guys? And that makes him a slimeball?

Do I have your position straight here, or have I missed something?

6. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2003
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What a crock of one sided horse sh@t.

Whaaaa, someone might make $.02 off of building a countries infrastructure. Unfair, I should be the one making the $.02 but I'm too busy riding around on my moral high horse and I find it repugnant to think about the evil word (PROFIT, say it with me.).!!

Okay, I feel better now. :D

8. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

I don't want to answer for Eric but Cheney was the CEO when D-R was being taken over by Haliburton. It is hard to believe that this situation just came up last year and wasn't considered as part of the overall plan for Haliburton in assessing the viability of taking over D-R - while Cheney was at the helm.

Cheney was not a passive employee in this situation. As the CEO, he had a lot to say about who got screwed and who didn't get screwed. To say that Cheney 'didn't get screwed' by Haliburton is like saying that JU didn't get screwed by RRW. :cool:

9. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Mr. Burns at it Again!!

Cheney, through spokeswoman Cathie Martin, contends he has no financial ties to Halliburton because of an insurance policy he took out for the value of his deferred compensation, which means he'll get paid even if the company goes under. "He has no financial interest in the success of the company," said Martin, who added that Cheney has no say in awarding defense contracts. Newsweek reported last week that Halliburton is not a finalist for a $600 million reconstruction contract in Iraq.

But some Washington players are questioning the vice president's ethics. Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., complained to the Army last week about the contract Halliburton's Kellogg, Brown & Root unit received in early March to fight Iraqi oil fires. The Army secretly awarded Halliburton the contract, which analysts say could be worth up to $1 billion, without receiving other bids. Waxman told Newsweek that Cheney's ties to Halliburton "raise a red flag."

10. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

I don't think that the question is about whether a person has a right to make a profit. The questions are more about ethics and conflict of interest, and I think you know that.

11. John Ulrich

Waxman, Waxman...yeah, we should definitely listen to his opinion. What was that threat the guy made against motorcycle riders in California, it escapes me at the moment, something to do with "social costs" or something...

What really amazes me (and what motivated me to post in this quagmire section) is that it is apparently impossible for some people to disagree with anybody in office without labelling them slime, corrupt, a liar, an asshole, etc. etc. Did it ever occur to any of you guys that maybe they're doing what they believe to be best for the country, even if what they're doing is 180 degrees off what you'd do? Why do we have to demonize them?

The decisions political leaders of the U.S. make in the future have the potential to impact my family greatly; the last thing I want is for something to happen to Captain Hayley or her tanker boyfriend.

But I don't believe that there's an evil conspiracy here involving a military-industrial complex, just as I don't believe the wild stuff people said about Bill Clinton (and how did getting a hummer from an intern in a closet off the Oval Office affect his ability to run the county?)

I guess all I'm saying is, disagree with the policy, support an alternative. But save the conspiracy theories and name calling for a TV script.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2003
  12. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

....I think its a conflict of interest.... and a lot of other people do to...

13. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Realignment of retirement plans and company benefits are not unusual in corporate acquisitions. As the author says, it happens all the time - I've seen it happen dozens of times to people I know. Bottom line is if you want to cry and moan about losing your pension plan go out and start a business yourself.

Cheney's severance package was formulated in 1999 and he left in August of 2000. Halliburton sold Dresser-Rand in 2001. Why blame Dick? Complain to the BoD of Halliburton, they made the decision.

The author leaves out a key fact, perhaps unintentionally. Employees of Dresser-Rand who were 55 or older at the time of the divestiture received full pension benefits as if the sale had never happened. Only younger employees were affected.

FYI, the sale of Dresser-Rand was valued at $1.55 billion in cash and assumed liabilities. For Halliburton the transaction resulted in a $500 million pre-tax gain. Pretty good deal for the stockholders.

14. John Ulrich

You're entitled to your opinion, and you were able to state it here without calling anybody names. Good for you. You have elevated the tone of the BBS debate. You get a smilie:)

15. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Re: Mr. Burns at it Again!!

I've asked this question before and no one replied. Can you name other companies in the United States qualified to put out oil well fires?

16. John Ulrich

Boots & Coots, but I thought I saw on TV that they got a contract, too. I thought the TV show said that every company qualified to do this type of work was being contracted to do it. They showed guys from both companies talking about it. But like Frank said, it isn't like a Quiki-Mart, there isn't one on every corner.

17. SpongeBob WeaselPants

Can I have one too? or at least a free RRW renewal?
    Being an old-fart, left-wing, ass-clown grad student ain't paying to well.

18. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

why didn't they contract with the same people who put the fires out in 1991??? It wasn't Halliburton.... they have never done it.

how much did Halliburton make in IRAQ last year??

19. John Ulrich

No smilie for you, you called them names. :D

20. SpongeBob WeaselPants

but my editor always just fixes that FOR me...