1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mr. Burns strikes again

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Rat, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

2. John Ulrich

John Ulrich Well-Known Member

A. You mean that Halliburton-owned company has never put out an oil fire? I thought they were on TV already putting them out. Please clarify source on that one...

B. OK, I'll bite. How much did they make in Iraq last year, before we went into the country, during a UN embargo on trade with Iraq? I have no idea. You tell me, and include the source.

3. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

why won't ouside smilies work in here? Most of these threads rate popcorn

4. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

5. John Ulrich

Uhh, can you make up your mind? First you post the above, then you post a link to a story that includes this:

"said Jerry L. Winchester, the chief executive and chief operating officer, who worked for Halliburton 12 years ago coordinating the firefighting teams in Kuwait."

Which is it?

6. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

boots and coots only had 1/3 of the contracts 1991...my mistake...

I was researching a lady who came up with the technology....

7. John Ulrich

Uhhh, you say $73M "last year," then you post a link to a story that says "The sales lasted from the first half of 1997 to the summer of 2000."

What year is this?

If you were writing articles for me and your references were this far off, I'd have to fire you. :D

8. John Ulrich

Gentlemen, I gotta go. Thank you for your time, and may God Bless America, where we CAN disagree without calling each other slimeballs.

(Except for Peter Arnett, he really IS a SLIMEBALL, he got fired from his last gig for making up stuff, and he got fired from this one for being incredibly stupid and aiding Iraqi propaganda.)

(Did I just ruin my entire argument?) :D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2003
  9. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

hey....at least you read my posts....

doesn't this prove a conflict of interest??? even if the fact aren't all there...:D

how was halliburton able to get aroung the embargo??

just don't get me started with Mr. Burns and ENRON....I have enough stuff to bury his a$$$

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

If you worked at Fermi Lab then conflicts of interest in government contracting shouldn't surprise you. Hell, it has been going on for decades. :rolleyes:

They are politicians, they are wealthy and they are getting more wealthy. It sucks but it isn't going to change since it really isn't a party thing... the Democrits and Republicans are both well supplied with crooks.

It hasn't got a damn thing to do with Iraq. (this not directed at you Team Atomic.

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Which company is it that Red Adair(think that's the name) owns? He was played by John Wayne years ago in Hellfighters. His company I beleive put out most of the fires after the Gulf War. Not sure though. I did like the movie though.

12. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

They didn't. Read the federal law. Section 575.524 permits sale of parts for maintaining certain oil facilities in Iraq, which covered the business that Halliburton subsidiaries did there.

13. Knarf Legna

Here is your answer.

The fires in Kuwait were fought for the most part by Red Adair, Boots and Coots, Safety Boss (Canada), and Wild Well Control. Bechtel acted as prime contractor and provided all of the construction and logistical support.

In Iraq, the Army Corps of Engineers selected Kellogg, Brown & Root as prime contractor because they had previously done work for the Pentagon preparing a report and developing a plan to put out Iraqi oil well fires. They are charging cost plus 2% to 5%. They've selected Boots & Coots and Wild Well to do the work.

You are wrong in your statement that "It wasn't Halliburton.... they have never done it". In fact, Halliburton crews brought over 320 wells under control in Kuwait in 1991. They have extensive experience.

14. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

.....funny thing you should mention Fermi Lab...

I have flown many demonstration flights at Fermi's R/C Airfield...

and I regularly fly at Argonne national lab, where my club is.

...and I fly bigger airplanes than IRAQ's drone...and no they don't carry any ... WMD...:D

15. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

the real question is why did they get contract without any other bidders??

in 1991 they only did 1/3 of all wells... and I don't have count of burning oil well, but it probably isn't significant...

about 30 oil wells are burning...

16. Knarf Legna

Reread my post - the Pentagon had already contracted them to do a plan before the war started. When it became clear that there would be well fires after the shooting started they were selected because they had developed the plan and were the logical choice to implement it. That's their story and they're sticking to it.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm pretty sure that's been answered here a couple of times, you might want to read the threads and look for it. I don't remember exactly but it was legal so why the stress over it all?

18. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Whatever. :rolleyes:

I just don't have the patience for this sh@t tonight.

20. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

I'm with you my bruthah across the isle... I have several hours of darkroom work.

[Risky Business] "Sometime's ya just gotta say what the f++k." [/Risky Business]