1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP Jerez Testing 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by TX Joose, Nov 28, 2018.

1. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

Looks like a servo motor on the exhaust

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup, they've been using one for many years now.

Here's a better shot of that contraption...

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 3.26.40 PM.png

3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Weird looks just like post 33...

badmoon692008 and Phl218 like this.
  4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Weird, like in post 34?

badmoon692008 and 03RumbleBee like this.
  5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

6. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

It looks as though the brake bar thing attaches with a pivot somewhere very close to where the lower shock linkage is located.
    Given that any rear shock has a specific maximum length, eventually while braking enough weight will be transferred forward, the shock's max length will be exceeded, and the rear wheel will begin to lift. At this point the rear tire's friction will be transferred to the front tire and the rear brake's friction will be transferred to the front brakes. This will cause more heat in the front components and less traction and braking.

So what if, that rear brake arm attaches to the rear shock linkage in a such a way (a second linkage?) that when the rear shock reaches its maximum length the shock "unhinges" from the swing arm allowing the rear tire to stay on the ground and the rear brake engaged? A few mm's at the linkage could translate to cm's at the rear wheel. At all other times the shock and its linkage would operate as normal (so long as there existed any pressure on the rear spring).

Or maybe I shouldn't have had so much cough syrup this morning.

7. :crackup:

8. Ive noticed teams doing that several times over the past year. They quickly put covers over crashed bike, as if they are trying to hide the fact that it is crashed.

Or maybe some of the proprietary shit is exposed from the crash?

vizsladog likes this.
  9. Many people don't, however the rear tire is still critical in slowing the bike down, even without the rear brake being applied.

10. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Stahhhp.

11. metricdevilmoto

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

All the cheating stuff. Like nitrous, velocity stacks and hidden turbos

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

I was thinking about it, and could it be that it is used to compress the rear shock some when braking, therefore "squatting" the rear of the bike, which would inherently change the center of mass at the rear to be lower, therefore harder to rotate over that center of mass, and lose contact with the ground?

14. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

this thread is in loop mode :crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  15. metricdevilmoto

Extend, not compress.

16. zertrider

But extending it would assist into doing a "stoppie", helping it to rotate over the front wheel.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

how about if it was just an arm to hold a sensor for swingarm movement and not some crazy shock assist?

18. zertrider

What fun is that? better to speculate and imagine what it is they are trying to achieve.

19. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

20. metricdevilmoto

What Rick said. I missed his post when I replied.

Potentiometer is infinitely lighter, more simple and has been used for a long time to monitor movements like that.