1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP Jerez Testing 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by TX Joose, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

"Simon Patterson‏@denkmit
    Media centre theories are currently an arm for holding a sensor, or something that functions like a torque arm to keep weight on the rear during braking"

when rear brake is applied,the caliper pushes the rod and loads the rear suspension (through the linkage) keeping the rear end (and thus the CoG) down. In theory ,this gives them the ability to brake harder

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

That makes sense as the Michelin rear slick is supposedly much better than the Bridgestone was, and the Michelin front is worse than the 'Stone, which requires using the rear tire for stopping (need to keep it on the ground during braking).

3. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

But according to some "experts" no one uses the rear brake.

stk0308 likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

JLo said he never used it on the Yamaha, but had to use it frequently on the Ducati

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

But he was using it to turn the bike by further slowing it while already in the corner, was he not?

6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

7. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

upload_2018-11-29_15-7-50.png

Am I reading that right? Nakagami on top?!

Ra.Ge. Raptor and BigBird like this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Shucks, Cal may see his factory ride with a "return to sender" sticker. #japan

Forget Zarco, Tech 3 is probably like WTF did we get ourselves into.

vizsladog likes this.
  9. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Why is Bautista name there?

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

see above, but he's filling in for Pirro

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Except in this case, the caliper is pulling on the rod.

12. Ra.Ge. Raptor

correct,but the linkage can be connected in a way that loads the suspension

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I'm not sure it's loading. If you load (compress) the rear suspension during straight-line braking, you pull the swingarm away from the track. It's already wagging in the air. It's a curious device.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  14. Ra.Ge. Raptor

I'm not sure either (how could I?),I'm just speculating :D

15. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Have for Lorenzo naysayers changed their mind yet?

16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I don't see how this would ever be possible.......the hardest you can brake is determined specifically by the amount of force that can be applied before physics takes over and starts to lift the rear tire. You could supplement the front brake with the rear (which some riders certainly do for a litany of reasons), but if grip is constant the front tire will always be doing 100% of the braking at the limit of deceleration.

Now, if that apparatus is being used as a method of mid-corner adjustment (as Lorenzo alluded to in the article I posted from last year) by altering the geometry of the bike slightly during these brake applications, then I could see the purpose.

17. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I think it may be extending the suspension, overcoming the top out spring, trying to stick the rear wheel to the track. It also might be used during acceleration as most of these guys use the rear brake for controlling wheelies and grip exiting corners.

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think that if you can keep the COG lower the rear will stay on the ground longer. Ultimately yeah, front tire is doing it all and rear will come up since it's a bike.

19. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Video on twitter shows a light coming on and shinning on the ground underneath the rear of the ducati when it leaves pit road.

20. Ra.Ge. Raptor

rear end aero . F1-style tail wings the next step :crackup:
    DtM-0RzX4AI6EHC.jpg