1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2024 | Race 2 | Portugal | Portimao | March 22-24

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Mar 18, 2024.

1. Critter

Critter Registered

I am just going to leave this here. from the riders on the podium after the race
    upload_2024-3-29_7-12-9.jpeg

2. Critter

Critter Registered

Here is what I think happened
    1) MM shoved it on the inside and ran wide
    2) Every rider on that grid and any rider that has raced expert or more should know that if you cut up the inside and run wide, the rider you just did that to IS GOING TO CUT BACK! Riders cut back, because you just bombed the fuck out of them and you are probably either losing the front our about to, or there is a high proabability of both us us ending in the gravel. Cutting back is typically the safer move for the rider that just got bombed, hell look at supercross those guys do it all the time.
    3) Peco was offline and a little wide, well duh he could not turn in when he wanted to because there was an impending bowling ball in his way
    4) MM should have known that PECO was inside and MM tried to come back to the inside and close the door. giving Peco no room or time to adjust. You simply do not run wide in a corner and then snap back to the inside when racing in tight quarters with other riders. The first thing you learn in riders school --- HOLD YOUR LINE!

Simply put -- If MM had not bombed up the inside on Peco they would not have been in the gravel. People saying Peco should not have done what he did over 1 point could say the same about MM.

Gino230, 27, CowboyRR and 2 others like this.
  3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

If you listen to the audio of them talking while watching the incident, its clear they have no love or respect for MM. He's the douchebag of MotoGP. Maybe he's a relic of a bygone era, when there were rivalries and it was OK and even encouraged to hate your rivals and make enemies. These days, the guys are doing heart signs with their hands on the cool down lap, and grabbing butt LOL. I don't think that would go over very well in the 500 era.

27 likes this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yep. MM did this a few years ago in a race where there was a bike change in the middle of the race. Came back on the racing line in the lead and literally slammed into another bike (I forget who) like the dude wasn't even there. He's a psycho.

5. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Please tell us how you really feel.....

6. Critter

Critter Registered

Look I get not liking your competitor, and all that stuff, but I think the heart signs and stuff is a bit too much as well, and yes no one respects MM he had been tough to deal with since he came in and was trailing riders (Rossi) in qualifying just to get his lap in. He has been a bowling ball since he has been in the class.

7. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

It's really humerous the amount of people in here, including racers, that apparently have forgetten the #1 rule in racing motorcycles.

Here are facts (which don't care about your feelings)

MM made an aggressive pass (nothing out of the norm)

Pecco, tried to retake the pass resulting in contact. Any racer, especially a CHAMPION should have known that would happen.

For anyone to point blame on MM needs to never, ever GET ON A TRACK AGAIN, and those that never raced, and just spouting off because you hate MM for making aggressive passes his whole life.

Yall act like this the first time Pecco has made contact with another racer. LOL

Seriously, put the MM hate away for a minute and replace MM with anyone else on the grid in that exact situation. If you still don't comprehend, then congrats, you're a retard and need to watch another sport.

8. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

That's just mean.
    :clap::crackup:

rd400racer likes this.
  9. Robby-Bobby

NO WAY!!! You are gonna sit here and tell me that his own teammate, has his back?? No fucking way. I am astounded!!! This don't make no sense. LOL

younglion and cbush like this.
  10. Robby-Bobby

Facts don't give a flying FUCK about Feelings, especially from dudes commenting on a racing board that wobble around 42 seconds off the pace at trackdays. LOL

11. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Yes, that's what we taught in Rider's School. That's because new riders have a tendency to change lines when being passed, until they get used to it. Let's flip this around. Pecco passes MM in the same corner. Do you think for a second he doesn't close the line?

cbush likes this.
  12. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t matter if he did or not because Marc wouldn’t have tried the cutback, instead he would have just conceded the position to Pecco because it wouldn’t be worth fighting for the 1pt. Oh wait…

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Simple, just reverse the riders. The entire situation is exactly the same but the riders are reversed.
    Those that hate Marquez for simply sitting on a motorcycle will of course still blame Marquez.

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Didn't read the whole thread but it seemed like a racing incident to me. Two aggressive moves, the two lines converged and neither rider gave in, so they collided. Excrement happens.

With that said, it seems to me that MM makes a lot of aggressive moves, so he ends up in more "racing incidents" than most riders. It is just usually he is on the inside and manages not to crash himself while the other guy gets sent into the gravel / grass. Didn't work out that way this time.

27 likes this.
  15. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

MM isn't my favorite rider by a long ways, but if you took away that aggression, he doesn't win 8 championships. I really hated him when he was in Moto2, and still didn't care for him in MGP. I have a different respect for the guy, to have suffered through what he has, and still fighting to get back on top.

wsmc42 and cbush like this.
  16. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

Human nature is a bitch. Often, the things that make us exceptional are offset by some downside, that can sometimes exceed the exceptional thing (the Greek tragedy).

We’re talking about a guy so exceptional that he went off track in 3rd position, re-entered in like 16th, and then overtook 12 of the best riders in the world to regain 3rd place. All under race conditions - not overtaking 5 or 10 at the start, but all passes on a spread out field fully up to speed.

Who else has done something similar in the modern era?

Might not be coincidence that the most dominant guy is also the most aggressive. And I’m no special pleader - i think he’s made some bad passes. But has he ever pulled up next to another rider, looked right at him, and ridden him off the track? If so, was the rider 15 years younger than him?

The Dunning-Kruger effect regarding critique of MM is thick.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    Quicktoy likes this.
  17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Hey that’s another thing!
    I remember now…

“gas or brakes! No coasting!”
    and
    “hold your line!”

It’s a good thing I never had to take the written test again or my license would’ve been revoked :D

and holding your line like Pecco did before MM tried slamming the door?!? :D

I said way back that I think Pecco expected all of what happened but the falling down part… that’s why he made sure to get his front through and protected before MM could get back into him…

mitch100 likes this.
  18. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

This 100%.

In 2019, I almost couldn’t stand the guy. Every race was like, “well, another Marquez runaway.” He had the arrogance of most (not all), for whom, things come too easily. One could argue that the 2020 crash was (at least partially) him getting what he deserved, in so much as just as we’re discussing - it arose as a consequence of his aggression.

Since though, he has proven his mettle and seems to have matured quite a lot.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    Quicktoy and Circacee like this.
  19. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Honestly, the rules kind of change once you get to a certain level. Are you telling me you didn't go for whatever hole presented itself? On the track I mean...I'm not going into your behavior outside of that. :p

SuddenBraking likes this.
  20. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Same. I was introduced to the sport in 2019 (late bloomer) and since, I've been a Frankie Fan and REALLY loved with Cam B. was in Moto2. I never did see the Marquez dominance, but there was no gray area. You either loved him or hated him (Rossi Fans).

I'm 34 and I just high-sided the shit out of myself at Chuckwalla and walked away with a bruised tailbone, bruised ass and bruised wallet. Been thinking of hanging up the leathers for awhile, I'm not that old but I don't bounce off the pavement the same. That dude went through some horrific shit and to see him STILL want to battle for that top step makes me a fan. I hope he smacks the shit out of everyone not named Frankie and Enea. We need a bad guy.

Seiko, Rdrace42 and cbush like this.