1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2022 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Apr 29, 2021.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Well, Dunlop is probably willing, but I dont think anyone would want that. As I believe King Kenny once said, "I'd rather pay for Michelins than get Dunlops for free".

KneeDragger_c69 and Quicktoy like this.
  2. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

IIRC, Michelin was the only bidder after Bridgestone bowed out. Think they paid $30M to be the only supplier, and basically bid against themselves.

Probably didn't even bid this time.

Quicktoy likes this.
  4. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I really wish someone different would come in. Make them change the bikes up again.

5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I don't. I'm surprised I feel this way, but right now they've stumbled on a formula that just works. Yeah, there is some quality control issues from tire to tire affecting the results (highlighting just how on the knife edge they are right now), but aside from that we're being treated to the best racing we've seen in a long time. Don't change a thing.

And I used to love all the technical changes and stuff from year to year.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Something I wonder about quality control: if they could go back in time and check a tire right after production that ended up chunking massively later during a race, would they be able to find that something is wrong with it?

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I would bet they could In a control environment, but once you factor in track temp, air temp, and teams not always following tire pressure mandates it probably get close to impossible to figure out if the tire had a manufacturer defect or the tire was affected by the other conditions

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Unless they have access to the data from the team on pressure (assuming they even have pressure logging), laps used, tire spin, load, and so on it'd be really hard to pinpoint one thing.

That being said they can and do tear the chunking tires down and should be able to tell if the layers didn't come together properly and the like.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Don't the teams have a specific tech assigned to the team to help with tire set up (pressures, recommend what tire to run and all that shit)?

I'm sure they get the information you mentioned, Sean.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If this is about what I asked, I wasn't talking about doing a postmortem. My hypothetical involved time travel. It tire fails during the race. Michelin can travel back in time to the moment the tire came out of the oven. Would they be able upon inspection to find something wrong with it every time?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah got ya - I can't see it nope. No way any even in depth (thinking xray) exam would tell them.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They do I'm sure, but there have definitely been instances of tire failure - and by this I mean anything from just not working to catastrophic - because teams ignore the recommendations.

I'd bet Michelin can get a lot of info but not all of it.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I knew what you meant and understood your scifi tire fan story stuff. :D

I was too lazy to quote Sean.

Blammo likes this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

It's the riders that lock themselves in.

Following a dream often blurs out the small print....

And yes, the Red Bull academy is basically a Ponzi scheme that needs to finance itself.

16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  17. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

You can bet Michelin checks and logs about a thousand parameters as the MotoGP tires are being made so they don't let the tires leave the production floor if any known setting/temperatures/pressures/etc are out of spec. So they can look at pretty much every step of the process to see if anything was unusual if there is a tire "failure". I'm not saying that they can't make a bad tire, just saying that they are checking things as they are made and not just after the horse is out of the barn. There is certainly the possibility that something abnormal happened that doesn't get recorded and the big challenge of any manufacturing process is investigating what happened and figuring out if any unusual production situations caused a failure.

I just looked up and saw that Michelin has been around for 132 years so that's a huge amount of experience in making anything, let alone tires. Very interesting.

18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Welcome to most websites these days

thrak410 likes this.
  19. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I’d like to see Pirelli and Michelin swap series.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  20. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

How about Pirelli front and Michelin rear?

MachineR1 likes this.