1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2020 | Round 6 | Italy| Misano | Sep 11-13

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Sep 8, 2020.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The only thing the has-been is right about is that it isn't really a WORLD championship. European yes, but not world. Half of the races are in Spain, a total of nine different tracks.
    Sure, it is all due to the over-reaction to a magical virus, but it is still a Euro championship this year.

Quicktoy likes this.
  2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

The locations aren't what make it a "World" championship.........its participants do.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Blammo, turbulence, BigBird and 4 others like this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

:stupid:

just like the olympics. one place, many countries

4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yeah it is European, because the teams and riders are all European you know. Oh wait, there is someone from South Africa in 4th and someone from Japan in 6th. I am betting there are more than a few Japanese engineers and crew in those garages as well. With the guys in positions 1 & 2 struggling I would consider both Binder and potentially even Nakagami title contenders right now. Favorites? No, but possible. Throw in a crash or DNF from Dovi and 2Pint doing a pit lane start or two and anyone down to Oliveira is in the hunt. It is not only a World Championship it has the potential to be one of the closest and most exciting in recent history. The winner will likely be earning it head to head at the last round or two, possibly over 2 to 3 other contenders.

BigBird, The Great One and NemesisR6 like this.
  5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Kinda like the World Series, I suppose.

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Casey hasn't really been worth a shit even in the comment-wise arena. Talk about non-relevant.

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Cool. MotoAmerica, BSB, ASB, hell even WERA are all world championships.

R Acree, Razr, Circacee and 1 other person like this.
  8. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

If John Surtees, Geoff Duke etc. were still around along with all the others who won World Championships prior to 1961 I'm sure they would be glad to know that they weren't really world champions.

stk0308 likes this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

because they are the pinnacle of their sport?

turbulence and NemesisR6 like this.
  10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Because they have participants from multiple countries. That's all it takes.

Quicktoy likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, let me drop some knowledge in here.

There were no world champions from 1950 to 1960. Frauds, all of them. European champions.

In 1961-1963, it was a world championship because of that lone yearly race in Argentina.

1964 was another European championship.

In 1965, one race in America made it to work championship.

1966 returned to a European championship.

In 1967, one race in Canada, we have a world champion!

1968-1976, all European championships. That takes a few from Agostini. Uccios cream themselves.

1977-1979, Venezuela hosts one race and makes it the world championship again.

1980-1981, we are back to a European championship. Uh, oh, bad news for Kenny Roberts.

1982, a race Argentina makes the world championship again.

1983-1985, one rates in South Africa. All of Freddie Spencer championships count.

1986: take one from Eddie Lawson. He is a European champion.

By the way, a lot of those 1950s and 1960s exhibition championships only have 6 to 8 rounds. Should we even count those?

So really, it's only a world championship on a consistent basis since 1987. Forget everyone before that. That stuff doesn't count. Thank gawd for racing encyclopedias like Casey Stoner for sending you fools straight.

KneeDragger_c69, SGVRider and noles19 like this.
  12. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Hey -- 2/3rds of the classes raced in Qatar. Legit World Champeens, they will be. Poor open class dudes only get Euro'ed. Waaaah.

13. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

No matter what, Surtees is a world champion because he raced in Mexico and the US when he won his F1 championship. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  14. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

It's world championship in the same way the winners of the Super Bowl are world champions. You could argue that the Chiefs didn't play the best american football team from France but GTFO with that laughable shit.

These are the fastest racers in the world on the fastest bikes in the world.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I don't even buy the back to back weekends at the same track as being an advantage to anybody in particular. If you want to be world champion you better figure out how to go well at all tracks, every time you are there. I am a little tired of hearing how such and such a track is a Ducati track or a Yamaha track, etc... That is BS. Some tracks may require different techniques to get around them fast, but that all can be managed by the rider and the team by changing riding style, set-up and racecraft. I will agree that the Aprilia seems to suck at pretty much all tracks, just like the KTM did in the past.

Phl218 and The Great One like this.
  16. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Stoner never said that the championship was diminished because Marquez wasn't in it. GPOne just implied it with their wording. Even so, Casey's wrong about it being diminished because of the altered schedule. Everybody involved has had the same set of circumstances handed to them.
    Should I say that a regional Canadian endurance championship was diminished because I couldn't travel to Canada to race in it? No. It's just tough titties for me and whoever wins it earned it.
    People who say the MotoGP championship isn't valid because MM isn't in it are full of shit.

KneeDragger_c69, Phl218 and SGVRider like this.
  17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

You dropped too much knowledge for me to easily digest in one sitting. Tell me one thing. Is Mike Hailwood still a multiple world champion? Don't destroy my childhood hero. I still haven't quite recovered from discovering that Batman is not real. Leave me something!

Phl218 likes this.
  18. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Mike the Bike is the standing all-time, king ding-a-ling world champ.

Phl218 likes this.
  19. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

All this talk about guys potentially throwing a title away by injuring themselves, how about with a positive COVID test? Looks like Jorge Martin just tested positive, putting both Misano races in doubt. Giving up 50 points in Moto2 could be a kiss of death to his championship hopes.

badmoon692008, BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  20. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Well screw you.