1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motoamerica Road America Race Schedule

Discussion in 'General' started by GNC, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I don't get the price bitching either. I always thought endurance racing was the biggest bang for the buck but that died. And now that 1990s bikes are vintage, use modern tires, and are super reliable and they are a cheap option. If it's really about price why aren't these grids huge? It's a weird place out there and I'm befuddled:eek:

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

???

BEIN has had EXCELLENT coverage of MotoGP (and 2 and 3), WSBK and WSS, and MotoAmerica for several years now in the US.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The racing at our level is pretty easy to figure out. We used to have huge numbers because we (the club racing orgs as a whole) were the only way to get on a track. So we got all of those who wanted to race along with all of those who just enjoyed pushing themselves at the track. Now we still get those who want to race but the ones who just wanted to ride on the track are doing trackdays. There is a finite number of actual racers - especially with the way so many younger people were raised thinking everyone deserves to win - you can do that at a trackday but not so much racing. A lot of people don't want the reality check of an actual race, a lot of others don't want to push themselves that hard. I get it, I'm like that too.

The upside to all the trackdays is more people on bikes on tracks. My hope is as that continues it will create more fans of the pro end of things. Club racing will go up and down slightly but it'll never hit the numbers it did when it was the only game in town. So we try to balance out giving our riders the best experience we can while still paying the bills. We adjust as we go along but there isn't a magic bullet that will fix things because it's not broken, it's just the current reality.

Gino230, shakazulu12 and samizx7 like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think he means on network TV.

ekraft84 likes this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Almost all pro sports have moved to cable

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed. But the more major ones are on channels in the main tv packages, we're still on the add ons :D

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Mainstream network or cable television. Certainly not denying the quality of the coverage, but the the accessibility and viewership numbers.

8. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Question:
    Why isn't there a trackday side to the WERA business umbrella? Who better to run an event than experienced racers? It just seems obviously complimentary to me.

track wagon likes this.
  9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Fox vs. Fox Sports vs. CBS Sports/NBC Sports, vs. Velocity vs. Bein or cable-on-demand. Numbers are not equal.

10. 418

418 Expert #59

I'm not Mongo but I stayed did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

My guess would be because there's always 10 other dicks to compete with that think they can do a better job for cheaper. Here today gone tomorrow. Just about anybody can rent a track and call themselves a "trackday organization". Running a race org is a little more involved I would think.

This is why I usually only support the big track day organizations. I've seen too many flavor of the month orgs come and go.

11. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

Maybe add in a mock race at the end of the day to give a taste.

12. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Are bike on track up there in the North Woods?
    BeIn connect is supposed to be showing Jr Cup live, but is streaming this mornings GP race.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We looked at it when they started to get more popular and decided we couldn't afford to do them and still provide the same level of things we do for WERA - insurance, medical coverage, staffing, and so on. It's a similar but truly different business.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Junior Cup ran and is done, I think the next race is 2pm local so 3 in the real world.

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yeah but I mean when was the last time American road racing was on network TV? It's been decades.

EDIT: actually, wait a minute, I forget that CBS had the AMA package a few years back, remember that? Even though they were taped and delayed broadcast

https://www.sportrider.com/sportbik...ing-announces-cbs-sports-network-tv-agreement

16. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Thanks - I’ll try to catch it on You Tube if they post it up. Between MA, GP’s and IOM TT it’s a busy weekend. If it stops raining and the yard dries out I may even do some work...:D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My plans for tomorrow should include mowing the lawn but currently they're more along the lines of sit in my recliner all day and watch racing without going outside :D

18. Dragginass

I agree, but I think much like a "STT" or similarly stable organization, WERA could have a viable footprint. Sure Sean would be too busy to run it, but a competent management strategy could surely be put in place. It'

19. Dragginass

I agree about the differences, but I can't help but feel y'all are missing out. I'm just a Louisiana local, but we had a successful trackday company here that I ran for about 10 years. We did it right with insurance, medical, and we even bought our own airfence (the wall at old NPR). It just wasn't that hard to do it right, honestly. The track changed owners and I made a personal decision to move on with my full time career/family, but by all measures we accomplished what we wanted while we were active.

20. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Add motorcycle insurance to that too. Riding a street bike is no longer a cheap option for 18-25 year olds like it was when we were kids.