1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica Changes for 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 10, 2018.

1. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Per RBoM Racing Page - MotoAmerica anounced proposed rule changes for 2019. For twins cup, the SV650 and Ninja 650 will be allowed a 2 mil over bore. This would bring the SV to 677cc and the Kawi to 680cc. The FZ07 would be allowed a .5mm overbore which brings it to 698cc. A minimal performance gain, but could be useful to recover a cylinder bore that has been damaged. Air cooled twins up to 800cc would be allowed. Also, the stock steel subframes on the FZ07, EX650, and the 3rd generation SV650 can be cut off and replaced with a lighter aluminum bolt on unit. MA also anounced that starting at Barber 2018, the Ducati 796/797 models are homologated.

http://www.motoamericaregistration.... MotoAmerica Regulations Proposed Changes.pdf

Dave_SV likes this.
  2. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

When a motorcycle is homologated what is the process? The manufacture basically supplies a motor so that tech has something to reference during a tear down?

3. 418

418 Expert #59

How many motoamerica lightweight twins threads do we need up in here?

cajun636 and Gorilla George like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Basically pay money :)

The sanctioning body won't allow it even so if it doesn't fit the class they're building.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All of them :D

6. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

Is there a hidden lemon juice revealed clause yet that approves the KTM for the class so everyone can just start switching now (to a bike that isn't even available yet)?

7. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

You'll need a source of heat as well to reveal that message hidden by the free masons long ago :crackup:

t11ravis likes this.
  8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Limiting them to 2mil is still a little short of what it should be. No point not allowing them to go to the CC limit if they are looking for parity in the class. The Suziki and Kawi will still be at a displacement disadvantage with these rules.
    Of course a 23cc dissadvantage is better than a 44cc disadvantage I reckon.... but not equal for sure.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The rest of the bikes aren't the exact same so equal is relative. There is a LOT more to matching up the bikes than just displacement.

backcountryme likes this.
  10. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Had Chris Fillmore come by the tent and ask about build cost for the new SV. He was really surprised on how cheap you could a new SV for. Heck, mine cost less than buying a new 790 all together! Also asked if sv guys would switch to the ktm and a quick "NO" is all he needed... I don't think he's going to push to have the ktm attend, but then again, I don't actually know...

JJJerry, cajun636 and No Brakes like this.
  11. Yep. It’s tough in this class with a limited number of riders and it appears the best riders are on SV’s which make it even tougher. It is hard to ignore the FZ being a missle but I think some of the difference in riders made the gap of the bike look a bit closer than it is. I’d would just love more bikes in there as I think the racing up front has been good to watch for sure.

12. turner38

I agree, but the current argument is that the Suzuki’s don’t need much because they are winning..... We are still at a power defecit to the Yamaha’s mainly due to the extra displacement.
    Can’t complain too much though, our 13 year old SV did consistently have the fastest trap speeds of the weekend and brought home the Trophy.

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. If you don’t want to share that’s ok but if you don’t mind sharing what’s the cost to build a competitive SV (assuming someone doesn’t have years of spares built up like you). Id be willing to bet people would build the KTM as seems some don’t care much about budget while a lot do. Guess it depends on ROI for KTM. If they really wanted to get into it they’d pony up a couple bikes and parts for a few fast guys but again comes down to ROI.

14. But... how much faster would they be with Chris on an FZ? I think you are help me make my point even more, how much talent Delta is there vs bike Delta. I’m sure if you looked at Chris’ data on exit speed vs say the top FZ you’d see where at least a big factor of that trap speed came from. Not taking away from the bike you built my any means, it’s a nice piece of kit, but I think you get my point.

15. ghetto customs

12-15k @ Buying a new SV with the typical 6k or so of engine and race parts.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  16. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Chris - just clarifying - 12 to 15 grand IN ADDITION to buying a new SV?

thanks
    M

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pretty sure he included buying a bike.

18. ghetto customs

Nah, that's the bike also. Obviously it could get costly if you start buying nonsense parts... Mine is mostly stock as I've bought lwt parts and stuff through the season for it to be better.

19. turner38

The last turn over the weekend had a HUGE infuence on trap speeds and Kris has always made our motors look good with good drives.

I agree with he difference in tallent being a HUGE issue. If Graves put together a program and put a tallanted rider on it it would get much tougher to win races with a SV under the current rules or even with the proposed rules. If they allowed equal displacement then we could be pretty even I beleive.
    We still have a little room to
    Improve the current package, but doubt the engine program will change any before Barber.

20. I think Barber May be a bit less of an issue except a few turns.