1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica Changes for 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 10, 2018.

1. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

It is the only track we will go to that Kris has any real experiance at. It may have changed some but he goes really well there.

2. Awesome. Think I’ll make it over there.

3. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

With the 2mm overbore being allowed, does that raise the concern for crankshaft life. I don't have a lot of SV knowledge, but remember friends racing sb sv's and the ends of the crankshaft breaking off. Does a lightened flywheel help w life?

4. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

So in that $6k you have...?

- Suspension - $1500
    - bodywork, paint, windscreen - $1000 (times 2-3 if you are doing a season of MA?)
    - levers, clip ons, rear sets, upgraded brake package (lines, pads, M/C, calipers) case covers, steering damper, etc... $2000
    - spares like gearing, wheels, rains, and consumables - $750-$1000

That's roughly $5000 into the bike (for a non-sponsored rider footing the entire thing) then add in the engine build with a 2mm overbore - that has to run $4000-$4500ish?

Bike $7,000
    Race parts $5000
    Engine build $4000

$16,000 gets the bike dialled in, then all you need to worry about is pit set up, travel, entry fee's, gear, and carpel tunnel from signing all those autographs? That about right?

t11ravis and jd41 like this.
  5. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

I do not disagree...

6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I saw the competition bulletin about the proposed rule changes, but where is the Ducati stuff mentioned? They allowed the 796 to run at NJMP as a test, no points.

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

MA put out a news article saying the bike would be homologated for Barber. I just checked and the article was edited and that part was removed. Interesting...

8. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I've raped a 3mm overbore (700cc) motor for years and it's fine. It has a stock crank that was sent to falicon and was polished and lightened, H beam rods and a lightened flywheel.

ruckusracing likes this.
  9. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

Where does it need to be mentioned? They left in up to 800cc air cooled (though the 797 is claimed at 803cc).
    Not sure if the polish and lighten help with the longevity - but can't do that in MA.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  10. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Ensuring it's balanced correctly from my understanding does help with longevity and taking some spinning weight off the flywheel does also. Even removing every other magnet on the stock flywheel is better than nothing. I've blow up 3 SV motors over the last 15 years of racing and riding them. 2 I spun the connecting rod from riding wheelies. The other one the trans exploded from a sloppy shift. I've ridden these things both on tours through the mountains for thousands of miles, very spirited street riding, countless trackdays and countless road races.

11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Because as I understand it, Ducati has not provided a bike or anything else to MA for homologation. So it’s not a homologated motorcycle at the moment.

@regularguy I found the article after I posted, I read it carefully and it said the 797 would be homologated. At first I thought they were coming to their senses and homologating both the 796 and 797. Interesting if they are backing away from that, too. It’s too bad, it would be a nice addition to the class.

Absolutely NONE of which matters to me anymore as I am hooked on my SV. :)

regularguy and t11ravis like this.
  12. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Graves Kawasaki!!

14. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

I’d rather see Attack Kawasaki ;)

The bummer is, if this is happening when the economy is “good”, then what’s going to happen during the next downturn?

15. 418

418 Expert #59

16. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Somehow this is Mongo's fault right?

17. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sling baby!

And yes, it is my fault somehow :D

19. Hyperdyne