1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

The FZ07 is getting pretty badass these days, but I'm waiting on that new 790 duke. KTM claiming 115hp (probably at the crank and probably a high estimate). I'd rather have the powerhouse bike and not be allowed to build out the motor, than to have the fz that needs tons of money and risky motors. I'm guessing the ktm will cost 10k, and to make it a competitive bike you'll be around 15k total.

The problem is, doing an MA round will still cost a fortune, and the payouts won't be enough to make it any more than a one time thing for me. So I'd be on this machine that locally doesn't fit into any real race category, racing by myself.

Still, it's tempting to develop a new bike just for shits. and if the 790 is even half as good as the 690, it'll be a lot of fun to ride

2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I'm in. Now which bike to build.....

3. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

Did I miss something.... is the 848 eligible for this class? I didn't see anything excluding it.

4. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

no, why would they let 848 in?

5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

this aint CCS,,

6. LD

LD I do science

I was wondering the same thing. Didn't see any model year limitations, and the 848 fits the criteria laid out by the preliminary rules as far as I read, unless they specifically exclude it in the coming revisions. Unless I too missed something

7. Robby-Bobby

First person to try and grid up with their 1999 SV sv650 is getting Dick-kicked.

Cam Morehead, 418, slimjim00 and 3 others like this.
  8. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

ther
    there is a list. think of it as lw twins up to 800cc

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

tuna...

V5 Racer, JustaNobody and noles19 like this.
  10. swiest152

FZ07, either 2012+ or 2016+ Ninja 650, New Ducati Monster 797, 09+ SV650, KTm Duke 690 + 790, and BMW 800.

"but this bike fits rules!" shut up.... :)

You won't see 848, 749s, or carbed model SVs. You guys are forgetting, this isn't club racing, they have a homologated model list.

tecknojoe likes this.
  11. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Because Ducati said "pretty please?"

12. swiest152

that only works with CCS and rest of the world.... so...

Yea 848 will be allowed.

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

And WSBK.

14. amartin

amartin Well-Known Member

15. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

LMAO! If you go crazy you could easily sink 15 maybe 20k into one of these bikes. Lightweight guys can learn a lot about building a superbike from reading the rules. This is going to be awesome. I wish I had the money to burn because I'd build 2. One for me to race and another for a fast young kid to race.

Newsshooter likes this.
  16. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

That's @swiest152 's site fyi.. it's good stuff

17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

So you can build your FZ7 or Monster to look like a ZX-6 or even an M1 or RC213V if you want (just stay away from winglets). I am not sure how that helps the manufacturers. I would have gone for stock bodywork shape except for a bellypan, but then you have to define how big the belly pan can be and that gets hard to enforce. Of course that would have given an advantage to the Ninja 650 at the longer tracks where you need aerodynamics.

So no TI bolts and nuts unless they are replacing Aluminum, so no need to go buy the Pro-bolt kit. I see this and a couple of other things eliminating a good number of the existing LWT SBK / CCS LW SBK builds unless they de-content them. Interestingly, it would even eliminate a fair number of the CCS LW SS bikes as well. Many of those are already too old or too much air cooled displacement for the model homologation rules anyway.

18. Robby-Bobby

I can't imagine them allowing 848 even though technically it fits the rules..

A good 848 by these rules is 130+hp.

If so then 90% of CCS miami racers just creamed themselves in a massive circle jerk.

418 likes this.
  19. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

They aren't going to let a bike that's been out of production for several years in. I don't even know why people thought that would happen in the first place. Even if it fit the rules.

20. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Where is this homologated model list?