1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

C'mon, comparing wrastling to moving a certain amount of weight with a certain amount of horsepower? It's not like the big guys are asking for better Aero that the little guys are getting....just want similar power to weight. On a 1000 it isn't as big of a deal.

2. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

So Elias doesn't have an advantage over Schultz?

3. Boman Forklift

Read the rest of my post. It makes much less of a difference on high horsepower bikes......I know you are smarter than this so I can only surmise you feel like trolling today.

But it still makes a difference. Remember in the old days how much quicker pedrossa would get off the line compared to the bigger guys?

Gorilla George and Robby-Bobby like this.
  4. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

At a USGPRU race a long time ago we had to stuff sand bags in the Moriwaki to "make weight" I think Jasso was there and our friend Wallace? from Asheville .. name escapes me sorry, on his RS125. Both big boys. My kid weighed maybe 85 lbs. at the time. Didn't complain, just did it. Made sense to me.
    Just find a given power to weight ratio for a given bike wet, plus rider with gear and about half a turd left over and adjust. Is it that easy?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  5. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

How much does a half a turd weigh?

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Couric

Couric
    The standard unit measurement for mass weight of feces, as noted on the 2007 South Park episode "More Crap". The European Fecal Standards & Measurements Board in Zürich keeps track of the authenticity of its records. It is mentioned in the episode that "one Katie Couric is about two and a half pounds of excrement". The original record was set in 1960 at 7.5 Courics. It was revealed in October 2007 that the record excrement is in fact Bono of U2 fame, which had grown to 80 Courics. This explains why Bono seems so great, yet is still a piece of shit. That same day, American Randy Marsh set the new record at 100 Courics. The record still stands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Crap

7. Scott S.

A bit more than a crumpet I think

8. Boman Forklift

That can't be right.....@Cam Morehead said power to weight is BS!!!!!!:Poke::crackup::crackup::crackup:

9. Scott S.

Looks like the RC390R and the.old RC390 Cup have a new weight minimum, 142kg. Interesting that both are lumped as the same? Will find out in a couple weeks but does the old Cup bike hold a candle to the new bike, equal riders?

10. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I remember racing Cameron wh
    Well, I've done it! I've RTFR.... I think I would only need 3 things to race my 650R pile and 2 more things to compete well. To race I need a 25mm hole in the lower fairing with a plug, I need foam in the fuel tank, and some form of red tail light for wet conditions (bicycle light?). To compete, I should have the tired engine rebuilt with a little more focus on mid-range instead of top end and I need to be faster..... Oh, and a crew chief...... I'll probably hem and haw and not register, but the promise of being on You tube for the start of the race is so alluring... lol

11. Cam Morehead

Lol... Oh hell. Here we go... Rob, you are putting words in my mouth. I understand, recognize, believe, know, comprehend, agree, and any other word, that "power to weight" exists. I also said "you are rewarding larger racers" by "handicapping smaller racers". I don't troll. I have stated my opinion and will let this subject go. At the end of the day, I tell the kids to suck it up and race. I also make them start from pit road, back of the grid, etc because I don't believe in "winning all the races".... I believe in "learning race craft"... So at the end of the day, I really don't give a shit what the rules make us do, I want the kid to deal with it and give me 100%. That does not always end up in a podium or trophy....

12. Cam Morehead

No.....

r6boater likes this.
  13. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

"I suppose"

Steeltoe likes this.
  14. Scott S.

One of the best things racer Meli ever said to the kid was "you take what you have or what ever they give you and ride the shit out of it". So be it. We just go.

Gino230, r6boater and Boman Forklift like this.
  15. And just when you thought your suffering was over, here comes NBA Jams...and you are back to getting dunked on again. :D

ekraft84 likes this.
  16. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Isn’t Eddie like a solid 5-3?

17. There is no doubt it makes a difference. The math doesn't lie...

Acceleration = Force/Mass

As bikes get bigger, things do get equaled out somewhat. But it isn't because of the math, it is because skill is more of a factor. The formula is always the same. Those same tinkerbells still have an advantage, even on 600's and 1000's (technically, even more so based on the math). Like you said, that is evident with little Pedrosa and his rocket starts.

100lb rider on a 350lb bike that makes 10hp has an acceleration value of .022
    200lb rider on a 350lb bike that makes 10hp has an acceleration value of .018

100lb rider on a 350lb bike that makes 120hp has an acceleration value of .266
    200lb rider on a 350lb bike that makes 120hp has an acceleration value of .218

100lb rider on a 350lb bike that makes 200hp has an acceleration value of .444
    200lb rider on a 350lb bike that makes 200hp has an acceleration value of .363

So it isn't that things get "more equal" on bigger bikes, they don't. Actually the opposite is true. When using the same weights for the bike and HP numbers, the formula ends up being based on a %; so as HP increases (with bike weight staying the same), the acceleration differential between heavier and lighter riders gets even larger.

But the difference is that on smaller bikes everyone has (essentially) unlimited grip, and everyone can utilize 100% of the available grip at all times. On 600's, available grip and its utilization becomes a variable, so skill becomes a bigger factor. On 1000's, grip utilization is much more difficult, so skill becomes an even greater factor. That is one of the reasons why some people can be competitive on a 600, but not so much on a 1000.

The thing is, this is all just based on weight. It doesn't even count drag coefficient, which increases exponentially as speed increases. Drag affects bigger riders even more than the weight.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  18. Cam Morehead

I can't type all that out or read it. I beat lots of 750/1000s on a 600. (Cliff Notes). LMAO

19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

On a 75 HP bike there is sufficient traction (at least at some tracks and corners) to have the throttle wide open at full lean. I do not recommend you try that on a 1000 (unless TC is limiting the power delivered or you are down out of the power band). So there are many places on a racetrack where more HP doesn't do you a damn bit of good no matter how talented you are because a 1000cc bike is incapable of using it all anyway. On a little bike there are more places around a racetrack where HP/lb is a factor because you are actually using all of the HP the bike can produce over a larger percentage of the lap.

In fact a big guy on a 1000 will probably be using more throttle than a smaller guy as the extra mass helps with wheelie control.

20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Didn't you need those pedal extenders on the go kart? Maybe it was another Robby Bobby ..

Robby-Bobby likes this.