1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most reliable used 400+ HP Sedans

Discussion in 'General' started by Sean Jordan, Mar 15, 2016.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Hey, the interior was the only quality thing in a 1995 Cavalier! :mad:

2. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I'll throw the Audi S7 out there for performance sedans. 420 HP and a lot more if chipped. I'm considering a used one myself right now since prices on them are down. Trying to find something pleasing to the eyes with a lot of power but still a sedan. Wish it didn't weigh so much, but everything else sounds pretty good about it.

Heard to many bad stories of unreliability from: Jaguars, Maseratis, and Porche's Panamera to go with any of those, other wise cool looking options.

3. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Tough to beat LS3 for modability...

4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Suck it up and go shop Aston Martin's

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, is an Audi any more reliable than a Jaguar? I thought they were much improved after Ford owned them for awhile?

6. pickled egg

I dunno about reliability, but they're great for getting handjobs from women you hardly know. ;)

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Newer jags are pretty darn good....

8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I sell all of these vehicles used. Jags are much much better these days but those 5.0's are not proving to be the greatest. They run hot and require ester oil. On the old porsche 944's that wasn't a problem because PORSCHE. With LR's+Jags and their normal types of drivers, well its not going so well. Had several $6000+ repairs to these engines already. Audi A's tend to be ok except the A8, anything S from Audi is terrible and we won't even buy them anymore to resell.

9. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Might just be historical bias for me on the Jags, but then again a co-worker just had the engine self-destruct in his XF @23k miles. Was covered by warranty, but the car came back from the dealer with a ton more problems.

Not sure on the Audi reliability thing, haven't heard much about them in general, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. My Gallardo is mostly Audi made and haven't had a problem with the Audi parts. The S7 hasn't been around but 3 years, so there's not much history yet.

10. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Just an FYI, that was a dude.

11. Drove a diesel Jag wagon with the sport pack yesterday in the UK, I want that car. Tons of torque and handles awesome.

Cuddles de Sade likes this.
  12. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with a Merc AMG wagon?

13. pickled egg

Oh c'mon, it wasn't a Miata! :Poke:

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

Besides that they are the ultimate sleeper car...not really.

15. neckbrace

neckbrace Well-Known Member

Well, I was into drag racing cars before I started doing this motorcycle nonsense so you might be on to something there.

The reason it pissed me off so much was that I beat the shit out of the 2000 Corvette that I had before the Cadillac and it never had a driveline issue. I had to replace the clutch once, but that's a wear item unlike the differential.

16. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

This is also an appealing aspect.

Add-on question - what do you guys know about aftermarket warranties? Any good companies out there? Any that you definitely know to stay away from? I have heard good things about the Carmax warranties IF you buy fancy foreign stuff that is expensive to repair. (BMWs, Range Rovers, etc.)

I still love the E90 series M3 Sedan, but having no warranty on that thing scares me. I've also read various things about rod bearing issues.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, they obviously didn't plan on people driving it like it should be driven and put a crappy rearend in them. Sucks because it's a great car overall.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

I've heard/read similar Carmax stories...they'll pay to fix the car. I've read they've weeded out the cars that cost a lot of money to fix and charge accordingly, like $8K for the extended warranty on a Range Rover.

E92 M3 Carmax Story....that's scary expensive if that wasn't under warranty.

19. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

20. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Generally speaking, we never have issues with AMG vehicles besides trim inside, or fuel pumps with ML63's.