1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moriwaki VS Aprilia 125 ...which is better?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by infinityreplica, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Bobby,

I thought it was Jakes bike? Who's bike did I ride?

Hey man, I miss you seeing you two. It sure would be good see you guys at the Hill on February.

2. bobby lewis

bobby lewis Well-Known Member

moriwaki

we will be there. bobby l

3. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Hey dont forget me!!

4. Rodolfo

Rodolfo Member

How much is a moriwaki $ ?

And were can you get one?

5. Gerloff310

Gerloff310 G-man

6. infinityreplica

infinityreplica Well-Known Member

So,,.... how much is it.....????

I know we just bought a 2009 TZ125 and it was WAY up on price........and the TZ250 is almost twice what it was last year, when Dan bought his 08.

The Aprilia is running around $5400 on average, race ready.

How much is the Moriwaki????

7. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

How much can you win on the Aprilia?

8. John29

9. John29

I dunno, seems like these two statements contradict one another. Sort of how actual racetrack experience seems to contradict theory on occasion.

In this case, I've been around enough racetracks on enough racebikes to know that the Aprilia is not in the same league as the Moriwaki. Not even the same galaxy, actually. Bring one out to Willow, let's have a go.

10. The Undertaker

The Undertaker Well-Known Member

:clap:

11. Rodolfo

Rodolfo Member

Ok, so no answer,

How much is a moriwaki?

12. sanfret

sanfret Almost as fast as my kid

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Ah this is the bike I saw in Fontana and you mentioned it was a 125GP frame and you could always switch it back to have the 125 motor. That's pretty cool.

Now...to loose 100lbs. :)

14. Gerloff310

Gerloff310 G-man

The Moriwaki lists at $11699

15. infinityreplica

infinityreplica Well-Known Member

Kind of a neat article I found here....supports the theory of the 125 2 stroke bikes, and rider development......

Why race a 125?

To excel in racing, you first have to learn the basics. And what could be more basic than a 125cc Grand Prix bike? With a single cylinder pumping out a humble 40 horsepower, and a dry weight of just 160 pounds, 125's would seem the perfect beginner's bikes. But that doesn't mean that more experienced racers can't learn anything from them.

"You can learn riding skills on a 125 GP bike that you just can't get from any other machine," affirms Michael Barnes, who has an uncanny knack for hopping on a Honda RS125 and winning national races--indeed, Barnes won a WERA Formula III national the first time he rode one of the diminutive machines.

"The main thing that 125's can teach you," continues Barnes, "is how to squeeze every possible bit of speed out of a motorcycle. It really teaches you how to soak every last bit of aerodynamics, jetting and gearing. Gearing is really critical, because you need to be exiting every turn with optimum speed and rpm to get a good drive, or you'll lose precious seconds that just can't be made up on a straight. And since, on a 125, you're drive is almost solely based on your cornering speed--which is, in turn, based on your entrance speed--you will quickly learn how to tie all aspects of speed together. And that helps your overall riding, no matter what machine you compete on."

"Consider aerodynamics--something that, except for when blasting down a straight, you wouldn't normally concentrate on when riding a superbike. But you should be. Because a 125 teaches you that, no matter where you are, you have to be constantly aware of how much drag you're generating by sticking your body out in the wind. You have so little horsepower that even radically hanging off mid-turn slows you down. And even minor lapses in how well you're tucked in on a straight can noticeably slow you down."

So ask yourself in your next race: Am I hanging off this far for a reason? Does it make my exit faster, or am I only slowing myself down?

Another major skill a 125 teaches you is how to set, carry and leave turns at the maximum possible speed. You can take a 125 further than any other motorcycle in terms of entrance and cornering speeds. It's a totally different world between a typical four-stroke racer and a 125. On the small bike, you will find that turns can be taken much faster than you ever dreamed possible, and count on braking one to two markers later—or not at all."

Passing has got to be the most exhilarating part of 125 racing. Unlike larger bikes that rely on horsepower to make the pass on the straights, on a 125 you must learn to do the passing in the corners and on the brakes. When racing against the larger four-strokes, it's not uncommon to pass several of them at a time… in the same corner! When racing other 125's, the differences in the bikes are very small. So the riders are forced to work on their own skills instead of counting on the bike to do all the work. The rider is forced to learn his own weaknesses and fix them. Likewise, the rider must figure out where they are strong and determine how to exploit those strengths.

When it comes to racing 125's, Barnes gives a few general rules to live by. "First of all, get around your opponent in any possible way, at any possible time. If you're in back, and the leaders get through some traffic better than you and break you're draft, you're dead meat--these bikes pick up a lot of speed by drafting each other. But don't worry about leading out onto a long straight and getting left behind when the pack drafts around you—these bikes spend so much time on the straights that you have plenty of time to tuck in right behind them and re-draft."

As far as setting-up a 125, Barnes has found this extremely simple. "The Honda RS125's that I've ridden have been set pretty well right out of the box, and there aren't a lot of adjustments available, so just get it working well and concentrate on your riding. But one spooky aspect of these is the amount of feel you have: bumps that you'd never noticed will suddenly seem large, but the stock suspensions soak it up really well."

There's also the issue of size. "Although riders over five feet tall will feel cramped and out of place after their first stint on a 125, they shouldn't be discouraged. "Sure the 125's are small," concedes Barnes, who is 5-foot-8 and 130 pounds, "and they weigh somewhere around 160 pounds, but your size doesn't really matter. Look at Moto Liberty's Doug Carmichael: He's got a couple inches and about 30 pounds on me and is just as fast." But larger riders need to be especially conscious of their weight placement. "The 125's are incredibly sensitive to body positioning--even moving your helmet a few inches can change the bike's attitude in a turn. But you should use this to your advantage. If the front end is pushing you just lean back a little bit, get some weight off the front, and it will steer in. If you're coming out of a turn and it's spinning the rear-(actually, they don't really spin, it's more like a momentum drift) you can lean forward a little bit and solve that."

Learn to do everything right and you, like Barnes, will find that 125cc racing might just offer the most bangs for you bucks. "Since you're so close to the ground, nothing really bad happens to you in a wreck. And the bikes are so light that they don't rip parts off in a slide. Rather, they just seem to skip along the track. This all makes for a very confidence-inspiring mount, and helps keep repair bills, and therefore the cost of racing to a minimum."

Written by Brent Plummer

Oh BTW?
    This comes from the USGPRU FAQ pages.....

http://usgpru.net/faq.php

Doohh!!!!:Poke:

16. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

Farther to travel when you high side, though.

17. EMathy

EMathy Dreaming of a *****...

That's nice, except that the Aprilia's you're trying to push...aren't 125cc Grand Prix bikes. They'll hang with the EX250's in Clubman but that's just about it. :Poke:

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

Oh, and 99.9% of that article applies to the 250 4 stroke GP bikes that are racing in the 125 GP class.

When are you going to bring one to Willow Springs to take JU up on his offer to see which is really faster? Just wonderin'.

18. John29

There is no comparison between that Aprilia streetbike and a Honda RS125 or a Moriwaki MD250H. The only thing that Aprilia has in common with the Honda RS125 is the number of strokes.

Trying to characterize that Aprilia streetbike as a 125 GP machine is like trying to characterize a Corolla as a sports car. In theory they both have the same kind of engine, but in practice they aren't much alike.

I suggest you promote your Aprilia series for its positives: Cheap, cheap, cheap racing. Versus slagging on the Moriwaki or trying to ride the coattails of purpose-built 125cc racebikes. There really is no comparison.

19. John29

There is no "see which is really faster" involved. The Aprilia streetbike is nothing like a racebike. The Moriwaki MD250H is a racebike. The Aprilia is unbelievably slow for a 125cc two-stroke in every way: Slow handling, slow acceleration, slow top speed. It's slow.

The only two advantages the Aprilia has are, it's relatively cheap, and it has a horn.

20. sanfret

sanfret Almost as fast as my kid

+1 on the horn. -1 on cost... The bike Peter raced at Vegas net cost is less than the new price of that Aprilia.