1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More cooking stuff

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Mar 2, 2018.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't think you get it. The stuff in that picture is already too much for me.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pretty sure it's not showing the entire steak.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Don't need the fat to add flavor/moisture for sous vide, so you could cut it off before cooking.

4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

That steak looks overcooked and underseared. :D

pscook likes this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Exactly. So there is more fat that's not showing. :D

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. 120*F for 60 minutes, sear until it's crackling, then serve. Perfection every time.

7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Cripes! It was the first steak picture I had in my phone. Give me a break. Here’s a tenderloin I did same method. Better?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

pscook likes this.
  8. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Damn, that looks good.

9. Tristan

I could eat all that

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I'd pick it up and eat it like it was a big burrito!

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Now THAT looks delicious!

12. dsapsis

Good sear; still overcooked :D

13. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

I use the Anova with their app. No linking to the facebooks.

14. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

I've got a big daddy sirloin at home in the drink, waiting on me now...... It'll take longer for the Mrs to make the salad than to get it out and seared!...it'll be the best 5 minutes I put in today. :cool::D

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So only issue so far is the ziploc is not staying loc'd. Not sure if I want to use it as an excuse for the vacuum sealer or just put the brisket into a new bag that has a lot less salt in the zipper section :D

17. Tristan

Put a tenderloin the size of a brick in the bath this morning, will try and remember to take some pics before I eat it all.

18. dsapsis

If you do much freezing, a cryovac sealer is a really good investment.

19. Tristan

my setup-
    [​IMG]

20. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

It's always fun reading the cooking posts. Sous vide is cool and has its uses. Anova is a solid brand, that's what I have. The cool thing about sous vide is if you take notes on exact times and temps it will always come out the same. It's dummy proof and gives you a lot of leeway on time. It's great for filets, pork, and tough cuts of meat that you would typically braise. It's nice to do stuff overnight and not have to worry about an oven being on and a possible fire. One thing about home cooks is that they tend to over complicate things or follow a recipe to a tee, even though it doesn't make sense. A recommendation is to go to a restaurant supply sore and buy a clear plastic lexhand container. The immersion circulator fits right on there. It's big enough to fit what ever meat you have and doesn't conduct heat. As for food safety, its a load of sh#t. You are fine cooking sous vide under the "danger zone".