1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More cooking stuff

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't do much long term freezing so it is really hard to justify it. Mainly it's just buying bulk then portioning and freezing for a week or two until I need it. I think I'll hold off for now.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

One thing that we do is cook it sous vide and then freeze it as is. It's nice to have a salmon filet ready to eat after thawing overnight in the fridge. Just season, seal, cook, and freeze. Thaw when you want and just heat to eat. Costco sells fish chunks already frozen and vacuum sealed, I just drop them into the water, let them go for a bit, then into the fridge or freezer. I'll season them when I cut open the bag at meal time.

So there's your justification for yet still more kitchen stuff.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That big I'd need another kitchen - out of counter space as it is! :D

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Here you go. No sear, but.......

A80B33AC-37CB-4B9E-A66A-76F504C7A157.jpeg

badmoon692008 and Funkm05 like this.
  6. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Fold the top of the bag down, stick your hand in the bottom like a glove, and don't have to wash your hand for the 4th time....That said, Beth just ordered a $70 sealer for $29......from ???? Kohl's of course! :D

7. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Vac sealer storage folks.....Do you salt before sealing? Will salt affect the meat if it goes directly to the freezer or is it not a good thing to do? Or, seal, freeze, remove and season, reseal, cook?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just told the boss the amazon box was the sous vide, she makes comments about now she doesn't have to go to Kohls and use the coupons she has - so I told her to go anyway and send me pics of the vacuum sealers :D

Not having an issue with the bag other than it's a little tight for a 5 pound brisket so the salt/spices on it rubbed off some as I put it in. Even with the double setup it's coming loose after 12-18 hours. So far I just push the tiny bit of air out and reseal. Cleaning the zipper didn't help any.

Brad likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure on freezing but unless it's something I'd brine anyway I wouldn't salt it before storage.

10. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Yeah, I'd like to get Costco packs of steak, salt pepper seal and freeze but didn't figure it'd be a good idea.

11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

12. Tristan

I've read that you shouldn't salt meat before sous vide, but I do and have no complaints. Steaks usually get salt+pepper, sealed and frozen right away. Chops and chicken I pour various marinades in the bag, seal and freeze.

Brad likes this.
  13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I've done the same with no (noticeable) degradation. I believe that the oxygen free environment helps delay any food spoiling or concerns with spices and such.

Brad likes this.
  14. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I have a vacmaster 215. Its worth the money but takes up a lot of counter space and is heavy as hell. If you are just homecooking get a food saver. I never season anything pre sous vide besides herbs and maybe a little bit of olive oil in the pouch. Salt draws moisture out which is the exact opposite application of sous vide cooking

Brad likes this.
  15. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Guess I should be clear. I had all of this on the last boat I was on.

16. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I tried my hand at sous vide last night on a heavily marbled ribeye and learned that the method isn't universal for all cuts of meat. While the lean parts of the steak were cooked to perfection and I used a smoking hot pan to sear the edges, I found that the fattier parts didn't crisp up enough for my liking. Maybe I need to experiment more, but I think my next attempt will be using a more lean cut.

17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I have found that putting about a 1/4 of oil in the pan helps. It needs to be really hot. 5-600 degrees.

Also leaner cuts don’t need to be cooked as long as fattier cuts. Filet is about an hour to 2 hours max. Ribeye can go 3 hours to help break fat down a little more.

18. Tristan

9 or so hours at 130, then about 15 seconds per side of searing, it was tasty

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dobr24 and Funkm05 like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So I think first try at sous vide will be overnight tonight. Going to do ribs since I had some in the freezer downstairs and really needed to unplug it since that's all that was in the entire fridge. Going with Kenji Lopez-Alts suggestions for the rub and cook time. I'll get the rub on them in a few then start cooking right before bed. Pull them and chill after 12 hours at 165 then finish in the oven for dinner with a little more rub. He does have an option for doing them at 145 for 36 hours but screw that :D

20. Tristan

I did 145 for 24ish hours, was ok but not great. I was going to do the 165 for 12 next time; report back!