1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Mock" Races

Discussion in 'General' started by STT-Rider, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There's a difference between a race school running a mock race for it's students and a track day org running races disguised as a track day.

The shit is going to hit the fan eventually and everyone will end up paying for it.

2. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

If riders want to race we introduce them to ....... you guessed it WERA! STT or (insert any other trackday org name here) is a natural springboard for riders wanting to get into a quality racing program such as WERA.

If they want a little low key fun and are here in the Midwest we'll suggest the Fasttrax series at Nelsons sometimes as a alternative.

We do not host races.... EVER, we have turned down multiple requests/offers to became involved in race promotion/hosting.

We fully support the professionally run Racing programs already in place.

3. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

STT-Guy - What is the purpose of starting this thread? What do you want to get from it?

4. STT-Rider

I want to know what "mock races" are and how they are run at (non-race school) track days.

I have been asked by many of our members why we don't do them. I have my own reasons but what better place to ask then the WERA BBS where he have a great blend or racers, track day folks and a pretty broad experience memership base.

5. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I wonder what insurance company does the insurance for Team Pro Mo events.

6. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

i only scanned the responses...but i disagree with what most of the guys are defining as a 'mock race'.

when i went to a race school with glrra - the 'mock race' was the most valuable part of the day.

the purpose was to walk you through the details of:
    - 1/2/3 call
    - pre-gridding
    - warm up lap
    - 5/4/3/2/1 board
    - launch from dead start
    - go into turn one all at once

all at near race speed.

that was incredibly valuable because those are the things that you don't experience at a trackday and are nervous about (see my very first post on this board called 'turn one jitters')http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47287&highlight=turn+one+jitters

once the newbs get into the race - they turn it into a race....but so is almost every track session....at least for folks with egos and competitive spirits.

if done well - it is not a race. it is walking you through the details and etiquette and rules of starting a race.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  7. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

If that's the case, why don't you talk to the non-race school organizations that run them? Seems to me that would be the best source of information. Posting here kinda seems like you're just complaining and pointing fingers indirectly.

8. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

disagree again....call me beligerent...

seems better to ask the customers than to ask other companies.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Just so we (I) can follow: which track-day org are you defending here?

10. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

Defending? Uh, no one. I'm not affiliated w/ any org. Just seemed to me like if I wanted to know how someone was doing something and insuring it, etc, I'd talk to them first.

11. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

I agree, it's good to talk to customers as well. But, for details on things like how activities are insured, you have to talk to the org.

12. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

agreed.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, thanks. You sounded a little defensive to me. My mistake.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know whether he's tried or not, but do you know for sure he hasn't?

15. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

No, I don't either. Hopefully, he'll say if he has. I'd like to know the real story behind track day orgs holding races too.

16. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

i don't think they are really races....hence the name 'mock race'.

i think they (maybe team pro motion?) uses them at the last session of the day for guys to have bragging rights. just a guess.

17. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

18. STT-Rider

You would be wrong in your assumptions.

When I point fingers it's very directly with no ambiguity.

19. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

the testosterone level is bad enough at track days without 'mock races' and if you give half of the boof-heads a chance to race for bragging rights you are just asking for trouble :rolleyes:

20. STT-Rider

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE PLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISKIN!!!

WHat's a boof head? Is that a Kiwi term?