1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Power One

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Gorilla, Feb 4, 2009.

1. bandrews

bandrews Member

Several posts reference being cheaper than the n-tec d211m but now it seems we can get the d11s for less:

http://dunlopracing.com/specials-09.html

If price is not a factor, are many of you still favoring the Power Ones?

2. bandrews

bandrews Member

I went with a P1 V front and a B rear. Thanks for the advice! Can't wait...

3. Carnage R1

Carnage R1 Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight, if temps are below 65* degrees on track recommend using the P1 A's, anything over 65* go with the B's or V's?

For the rear under 65* degrees we use the A's.

The V's are what compound?

4. fzgixxerman

fzgixxerman AKA Mark Byrd

The v is a front tire compound same as the b front compound but the v front is 4ply. Rear compounds are a,b,c

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

.. and the V works pretty darn good in cool weather too. Even though the compound is like the B (68+F), the 4 ply must move around more or something because that thing is awesome even in cooler weather.

6. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

just a question!

I am running the power one front & power race cambo from last year and am provobly going to get another set before I graduate to slicks. But my question is can I flip the POWER ONE`S....any info much apriceated....thanks in advance:up:

7. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

yes.

8. erick1670

erick1670 Chapin

thanks for this clarification!

thanks!:up::beer:

9. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

How much longer does the Power One C last compared to a Power Race medium. Haven't ridin the C's yet just the B's. Thanks.

10. Gorilla

Anybody?

11. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

The C rear will out last the medium by a fair shake, though all of it depends on your style/speed/set up and it will be much faster over the life of the tire.

12. Gorilla

:up:thank you sir

13. irnieracing

irnieracing Canadian Superbike Racer

The power Ones felt rough compared to the other brands on the racetrack (Pacific raceway). Must be the harder carcass compared to the soft Pirreli and Bridgestone carcass. Traction with the power one was great, and continued to hold decent traction until bald!

I found lowering the air pressure to 22 HOT rear, and 30 Hot front works best for me.

[​IMG]

14. Modifyd4

Modifyd4 Well-Known Member

Is there any difference in the Compounds A,B,C,V front and rear of the Power Ones you buy from STT vs that of a trackside Michelin Dealer on a race day?

Anyone care to comment for a track day rider
    if this V front and PR4 rear look like they still have life? on them
    1.5 days at JGP worried about using them and wasnt fully sure on the rain spies indicator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mysticblu999

mysticblu999 Active Member

16. Modifyd4

Modifyd4 Well-Known Member

both fronts and rears? heard only flip rears, but I am a novice so not sure whats acceptable.

17. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

Are they coming out with new compound 160s or at lease updated guidance? Seems like there were problems with them in some places.

18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

irnieracing .. what Power1 tires did you have? The A-B fronts will feel NOTICABLY firmer than the V front. This is due to the 5 layer carcass vs. the 4 layer of the V. Running firm Michelin tires for years, it took some time to get used to the V moving around a bit more. However the side grip I found to be better with the V. I would not advocate running the pressures that low, but whatever works for you. I REALLY doubt you were running a V front. Anything below 30psi COLD and it will just feel like shit for a bit faster rider..

Modify.. there is no reason you can't flip a front, new tires are ALWAYS better, but if your going to flip the rear you could flip the front. It likely is not nearly as necessarry to flip the front however till you get into the 1:25 or less lap times. When i was doing track days, i would use the front for 3 track days and never flip it.. i would use the rear on one side one day, then flip the next.. trouble was I almost never had BOTH a new front and new rear using this method.. not till times came down and i changed the front every other track day too.

19. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

Modify,

I'd run those for a trackday if they don't feel hard and slick to the touch when cold. My rears are closer to the wear indicators than yours and I plan on 2 more trackdays out of them. If heatcycles are kept to a minimum (warmers) they should grip until bald on the side indicators. When my med./soft rears are hot they feel like a half finished lollipop, ya your fingers actually stick to the tire!!

20. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I agree and add that this past weekend was the first time I'd used them without warmers (B rear and V front). They were like snot on a marble for the first lap and a half. Worst I've ever ridden on, but after they became warm...very nice.