1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mexico - more and more assassinations

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Paige, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Guess Narcos on Netflix is the real deal.

Pretty crazy. Legalize it all and let Darwin take over.

Sent from my smatrfone

3. superdino

superdino Naturally aspirated twin-turbo

Guy didn't even make it one day?!? Utter violent chaos down there.

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Mexico needs their own version of Search Bloc like they had in Colombia in the 80s. How about arming citizens and not making criminales out of them? The only people with guns in Mexico are literally the criminals.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

And it has been....but the Liberals get 'offended' if you refer to it as what it is......a shithole.

Before the snowflakes gasp, I'm not speaking of the people themselves, just the political incompetence AND corruption. It's 2019, for fvcksakes and the poor guy (newly elected Mayor) didn't even make the half day mark.......... smdh.

Ducti89 likes this.
  6. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

That's what the guy in Brazil is doing. Time will tell if it works.

7. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

My son's GF's and her family went to Mexico for Christmas/New Year to visit family they haven't visited in 12 years. They DROVE the whole way from NC. My son had been on pins and needles the whole time. They crossed the border back into the US this morning. I honestly have no idea how bad it is down there. However, every media source basically makes it sound like the cartels rule the entire country.

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

My parents have been going to McAllen Texas to over winter for thirty years. The entire Valley has changed. It’s become more dirty and impoverished. The border towns like Progresso, Reynoso were once vibrant and very safe to visit but fifteen years ago became somewhat unsafe. They have become safer in the last couple of years.

When my Dad was moving old corn heads and combines out of the Midwest down to the Valley we would cross over on the ferry in his pickup to go visit a few of the Mexican John Deere dealers but I don’t think I would do this today. We would always joke about possibly being bandit’od. LOL.

K51000 likes this.
  9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I just got back from Cancun 2 weeks ago and whilst I felt plenty safe and didn't see anything would have even raised an eyebrow I'm definitely not naive to the situation down there. Since they keep the Hotel Zone fairly well patrolled and I saw a fair share of heavily armed military/police present it made it feel a bit more secure. But I think the reality behind the scenes is alot more grim.

This heat map of Mexico paints an ugly picture.....I wonder how long it will be before the country is declared a failed state since it seems like the cartels and gangs are taking over more and more every day?

https://travelmaps.state.gov/TSGMap/?extent=-124.207939566,14.44327709,-84.313397286,33.446969624

10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

That's pretty interesting. Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe all have the same threat level as the US. Much of the Caribbean, Spain and Italy are considered more dangerous by our Govt.

Qatar, most of the 'Stans are just fine but look out for Cabo. That's pretty funny.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've heard that in Cabo the police and the cartels are more in cahoots with each other to keep the peace for the greater good....i.e. tourists coming in and spending their money on touristy things and drugs. Not sure how valid it is.

12. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

They really need stricter guns laws down there. It’s ridiculous how many people are getting shot and killed. If they had any sense at all, they would just restrict firearm ownership to the home and small calibers, well, except for military and police use. Those guys need the bigger stuff to keep streets safe.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

M'FER didn't even make it to the first smoke break!

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Maybe they need a government sponsored gun buy back program.

K51000 likes this.
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Kind of ironic I just happened to see these 2 vids come up on my Youtube feed....in this first one it talks about neighborhood vigilante gangs arming themselves and hunting local riffraff. It also sounds like they are doing as much as they can to quell any media coverage of violence so as not to cause any disruption to the tourism industry which is multi-billions of dollars. Its interesting what the one guy says here, if things continue the way they are will Cancun/Riviera Maya/Playa del Carmen turn into the ghost town that Acapulco has become (which is listed on the State Dept. no-go zone of Mexico).

16. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I love Mexico, and the many Mexican friends I've made through work in the automotive industry. That said, we used to travel freely, now we have to get travel approvals and sign consent of our understanding of the risks associated with travel there. No bueno! I'd always felt safe there, but I'm not interested in getting kidnapped for ransom or worse...

G 97 likes this.
  17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Time to make Sicario a documentary

18. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

First one was an interesting movie, I hear the second wasn't worth watching...

Is there anything really that new about it though? Doesn't CIA and other orgs already do what's conveyed in Sicario?

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Second one was more focused on the relationship between the main characters, but still a good movie. Watch it.

20. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I heard a stat this morning that something like 60+ % of the new Governors don't live very long at all in Mexico

When I lived in TX. I used to travel in to the interior often, That was in the 80's though. My GF and I took a nice train ride thru Copper Canyon, went to the beaches in Los Mochis, etc. Never had a problem!

I once worked at the parts counter at Woods Honda in Austin. I was in UT also. A Mexican national offered to pay me to ride his motorcycle to Monterrey for him. Except, that I had to put it in my name to get it thru the Mexican side customs, and get it to his house. He'd pay me for it too, for got how much, I was a poor college student with time on my hands. Then he'd get me a bus back to Austin from Mexico.
    I did this a few times for him.
    Then, he has me come down to Monterrey, b/c the bikes I was smuggling for him in my name down there, he didn't re-register it there, and they took one of them.
    We had to go to some sort of villa- that had nice cars and stuff too in there. He had to talk to the official, and basically bribe him into giving the bike back. Cost him a bunch- cash.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Last time I was there was Cancun last Winter, on a cruise ship though- went diving, etc., No problems there by the cruise ship terminal either.

I wouldn't travel now like I did when I was younger into the interior of Mexico unless with a big gr0up, etc..