1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechanics; recommend a strap wrench

Discussion in 'General' started by metricdevilmoto, Dec 20, 2013.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

It's not for doing fork seals. It's for removing the chrome slider tube from the lower fork casting.

2. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

And that is necessary in order to remove the cartridge?

3. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

4. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

To install a cartridge kit. There are a few parts that need to removed, and with the tube In place it's not possible.

5. metricdevilmoto

Big piston forks don't have a cartridge.

But it is necessary to remove the chrome tube to install the receiver to put a proper cartridge in those forks. Or to get the OEM cartridge out of R6 forks, which usually separates when you try and remove it.

6. These are handy as shit (at work anyway).

[​IMG]

7. metricdevilmoto

That was the last one I bought. Still doesn't have the grip I need.

8. I would imagine for little stuff like that, it wouldnt. We use them to back out/tighten chrome pistons with a 4-5" O.D.

9. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I don't do the number of them that you guys see, but the last few that I did, I chucked up the slider in my vice with aluminum V blocks, and turned the axle casting. No slipping and no damage.

10. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

Reviving an old thread. None of the links work. I'm looking for a strap wrench to hold the flywheel (stator rotor) while I remove the center bolt. What's recommended these days?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  11. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

An impact wrench.

OP was asking about fork stanchions, which is completely different.

12. metricdevilmoto

Impact for that application.

13. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

Tried that. My impact doesn't have enough ass to zip it off properly. I dont want to sit there and rap on it. I'm now on to the next plan, a breaker bar and strap wrench.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy an adequate impact to me...

Boman Forklift, cav115 and renegade17 like this.
  15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Thread some 1/4" nylon rope into a cylinder and carefully rotate the crank until it stops. Only do this if you can get the cylinder to TDC with the valves closed, or remove the cams or cam chain from the cam sprockets.

You can also wrap a leather belt around the stator and a socket on a breaker bar or ratchet to mimic a strap wrench.