1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechanics; recommend a strap wrench

Discussion in 'General' started by metricdevilmoto, Dec 20, 2013.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I've got like four different strap wrenches and I downright hate all of them. I feel like not a single one of them works well. Used primarily for separating fork tubes from the lower castings, so it's always being used on a smooth, shiny surface that can't be marred up and often has a little oil residue on it.

Whatcha got?

2. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

Old leather belt and Vise-grips.

3. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

4. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

You need a lollipop.

[​IMG]

jkraft likes this.
  5. metricdevilmoto

Is the head on that aluminum? What's the coating? Anodized? Hard-coated?

6. Handicapped Racer

Aluminum, anodized, designed especially for what your are attempting to do.

7. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

just found my new project I will have to make me a lollipop :)

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not doing forks but I use this for stuff like that.

[​IMG]

9. sdg

sdg *

Where does one get one?

10. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

That is the one I use on my oil filters, car-truck-bike whatever

Why do you need a strap wrench for the forks? Grab one end with one hand and the other end with the other hand and slam apart, no?

11. Handicapped Racer

The newer gsxr require disassembly of the lower fork in order to install cartridge kit.

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Mike - lollipop for 43 and 41 from Ohlins will make your life so much easier. Use a torch for about 20 seconds on the stanchion and the thing just comes loose like butter - most of the time. I was a strap wrench guy until T-man converted me. Worth the stupid money Ohlins wants. Still use the strap for weird sizes - and swear alot.

13. Handicapped Racer

Its actually A Ohlins product.

14. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Shit...I need a lollipop too.

15. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

For fork-specific use, get the lollipop like Terrence recommends. For general strap wrench duties, I use an old leather belt, wrapped a couple times, then TWO hose clamps tightened around the belt. THEN I use a strap wrench on that. Works a charm. Of course heating the fork lower for your job makes it a cinch, too.

16. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Throw it on the ground. Just about everything I want not to come apart does when it touches the ground. :D

17. metricdevilmoto

And the Kawi forks. And the Honda forks. All the BPF nonsense. Even most of the R6 forks.

Don't know how I never saw one of those before. It's not in my Ohlins catalog. I'll order the 41 and 43 Monday. As I was thinking about it today, I was going to have something exactly like that machined or made using old fork leg damper mounts.

Thanks, Rick and T.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I use that technique but I usually add in swearing at it and if that doesn't work, I add in throwing gang signs at it and/ or threaten it with sodomy/ harm/ death.

19. Handicapped Racer

Yeah I purchased it while working on a ZX-10

20. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

I replaced fork seals on my 09 ZX6R and it had big piston forks and I didn't use anything like that.

Grab and slam worked like every other fork I have ever done? Maybe I am just abnormally strong gripped?