1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechanic wear? Red kap vs Dickies

Discussion in 'General' started by socal, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Fit matches the numbers - same fit as Carhartts and Wranglers. I do keep forgetting my gut forces them a touch low so I really could do 32 instead of 34s :crackup:

The fabric seems the same as fire hose covers but a bit thinner - guess that could vary depending on the hose tho. It does seem tougher than denim and a lighter weight overall. Flexible and actually comfy canvas.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Cool. I've been meaning to get me some Duluth stuff.

3. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Wrangler cargo shorts, with the tech pockets, from walmart. Half the price so even if they wear out 2x as fast, you still come out ok.

4. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

You never have to wash a good pair of denim, I only have one pair, never washed them. There was an article floating around where the CEO of levis stated the same thing.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I kept waiting for them to be on sale, paying the full price they want for pants just makes me cringe :D

6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Live by a farm long enough and you don't smell the cow shit anymore.

7. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, already get them.

They're as bad as the NFLShop peeps - "Free shipping ending tonight!!" Well yeah, but you'll send me another email tomorrow offering free shipping :crackup:

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Just ordered myself another half dozen pair of Wrangler Carpenter jeans. I wish Arizona still made Carpenters, those jeans were awesome. These are fine, except the flap/seam area that runs down the inseam isnt sewn down, so if I dont seam tape them down, they chafe like hell.

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Yep. The longest I have gone was 2 weeks on a pair of Carhartt's at work. They stunk like ass and could stand up on their own. At home I am a wear it once or twice and then in to the laundry.

11. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the middle... I'll wear a pair of jeans for a week or 3 at a time as long as I don't get anything on them. I usually get oil/grease/food/something on them and decide to wash them before they get smelly... I do have to say, there is nothing worse than a freshly washed pair of jeans.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I remember seeing something about that. But instead of never washing them I stopped washing them so often. You're just destroying them by washing them every single time.

throwdown likes this.
  13. I'm wearing mine right now. I smelled them again this morning and they're not that bad. I made my mechanic smell them too (I wasn't wearing them) and he said they're fine. You wouldn't be able to tell.

I'm not washing them. Haha.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A mechanics version of not that bad means they could smell like a chicken house in summer.... :crackup:

15. Valid point. :crackup:

16. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Costco brand cargo pants....the dark gray ones....I used to go to through cargo pants at work...usually last about a year or so before they would start to have torn knees and other failures....i bought a couple pairs of the costco cargo pants back in 2010 to try them out. they are 26.99CAD.

I wear them pretty much every day, about 5 pairs. I wear them to meat plants, veg packing places, fly in them, work on all my shit around the house, and every single pair is still good to go. I think one pair has a cargo pocket side torn out when i caught something sharp and they snagged, and one pair is just now starting to wear on one knee.

I am blown away by how well they've stood up. Best part is the material doesnt fade and is dirt resistant....i can have my knees look like crap from whatever floor i was crawling on fixing shit, dust them off with a moist rag and they dont show anything. Better yet, after a wash my fiancee cant tell which pair is the 6 year olds and which pair is the 6 month olds...

Just dont grind or do hot metal work in them....i have one pair with a few holes from the tig filler rod melting it and my skin underneath...

17. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

18. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

My dickies pants [3 pairs] and shorts [5 pairs] have lasted me 17yrs so far including a moving company, warehouse, and auto related positions. Don't see a reason to buy anything else for work.

19. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

Carhartt duck pants and shorts for work that I buy from sierra trading post..that you can get a better deal on if you have a coupon code (Retail Me Not)

And I agree with Alex-I have a few selvedge jeans, myself and never washed any of them either, but funny thing is-the more I wear them-better it fits-like I'm breaking them in:D
    I have a pair of the Levi's shrink to fit selvedge jeans and I wear that the most for now-I guess for the breaking in process..so far so good.

20. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Yep. You are not supposed to wash selvedge ever. I'm not sure the cargo shorts and white New Balance cross trainer crowd is going to accept that, tho. :D