1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martha Stewart

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Richard Lesher, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Richard Lesher

Richard Lesher Well-Known Member

:D
    :beer:
    :up:

No, it's not over, but it is looking good.

2. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

sure made her look like a bich. I hope she got a good stiff fine (Finland style) but I would not like to see her in jail.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Most likely she'll get a "Janklow".

4. tcasby

tcasby Banned

This was serious overkill. I could care less about MS but she's no criminal. Just did something stupid. Her prosecution and conviction cost a lot of innocent people money and jobs.

5. MadVlad

MadVlad Nonexistant member

Pardon me, but last time I am looking breaking the law makes you a criminal.

If you must be mad about peoples losing jobs and money then you should being mad against Martha. I am thinking she did not so badly need the money she was saving by engaging in insider trading. Many smaller investors who were having no friend on inside were losing their money on stock.

6. tcasby

tcasby Banned

Would the feds. spend 40 million to prosecute you or I for lying to a cop? She carelessly made a trade of an insignificant amount of stock based on unsolicited inside information, then panicked when targeted by the feds. She didn't conspire to rob people of their retirement accounts. She didn't conspire to get rich at the expense of others.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on what you lied to the cop about.

The entire reason the stock market works as well as it does is because of the rules that govern it. Break them and you go down hard. Pretty simple for all the players to understand - and she knew the rules going in.

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Unsolicited or not, insider trading is a huge no-no.

She knew better. The fact that it was an insignificant amount makes her even more greedy.

9. tcasby

tcasby Banned

There is a backlog of multi million dollar insider trading cases not being prosecuted due to lack of resources and man power. MS was targeted for prosecution because she was a celeb. She committed a crime, but she is not a criminal. Because of the resources expended on her prosecution, serious corporate criminals will not be prosecuted.

In addition, some huge number of billions of dollars is lost each year to tax cheats and illegal tax shelters. The 40mil could have been used to recover a few billion dollars in tax revenues.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2004
  10. 600inline4

600inline4 Mentally unstable

Martha

i agree, Martha will more than likely get a Janklow on this one...

the sentence is UP TO 20 years, but people don't get that for 2nd and 3rd degree murder.....or so it seems.

1 year in a Federal Pen, if at all..........and 5-10 years parole, with community service......... tops.

now, if that were anyone else but a celebrity.....................

11. Re: Martha

......then you wouldn't know anything about it at all, and the case would probably have been settled with a fine and a trading suspension.

12. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Martha

would have been to small to even hit the radar.

I hope not jail time only big fine jail time costs every one money and would do nothing good for her.

13. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

She made $52,000 on the trade. Not sure if I would call that insignificant or not. It is insignificant to billionaires like her and Sam Waksil but not to the poor ImClone investor who lost his ass when the FDA did not approve the drug.

I dont care if she goes to jail, I just hope her career is over. That should save me about $10,000 a year in shit my wife buys after watching that horrible show every morning.

14. Nearly everyone in the US has a gazillion reasons why she should be punished, and 999 bazillion of those reasons have nothing to do with her illegal stock trade.

Sad.

(btw C. Corder - I know your post was tongue-in-cheek)

15. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Uhhh if you break the law you are a criminal. :rolleyes:

I agree though that she is getting hammered worse than others because of her celebrity.

16. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

in no way was I saying she should get off scott free. However jail time would not teach her anything more about conduct then a fine would.

ps I have seen her show once and I loved it.

17. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Yes, but he jail would look real nice with the handmade lace doilies on every bunk and a smart Christmas punch every year. :D :D

18. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I'm with Corder.
    I hope she does time and her empire dissolves enough to affect the ol' lady's spending habits. I don't care if she spat on the sidewalk, I want the ability to rub the ol' lady with the fact that she funded a criminal.......

Hell, i'm not getting home cooked meals anymore, I have nothing to lose...:p

19. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

She was a on the board of directors of the NYSE when she did this… It is equivalent to a Judge getting caught in an illegal transaction then lying to the court about it, a MAJOR NO NO…

In her position this is a SIGNIFICANT CRIME, Your white washed poor face view of her is what is sad…

No matter how much or how little times she serves she is a convicted felon and what ever the cost to prosecute her it is worth it!

The $52,000 she saved loosing on this transaction relative to her fortune is equivalent to a $35,000 employee loosing/saving less than a dollar. SHAME ON HER...... Her actions displayed complete contempt for her position, her company, her shareholders and those that thought enough of her to elect her to the Board of the NYSE...

She is Leona Helmsley with a flair for decorating and a bit more personality but the same "above the law" attitude,

I think she should get 10 years.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

if you compare it to what she would have lost without inside information, it did indeed a significant amount of money.

If she was on the NYSE Board of Directors, then her action is indeed much more serious than if it had been committed by your average Joe. I remember the level of scrutiny I had to deal with to make personal trades when I was working on Wall Street as a lower-level nobody. That someone in her position would be subjected to fewer restrictions is mind-boggling.