1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martha Stewart

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Richard Lesher, Mar 5, 2004.

1. tcasby

tcasby Banned

Bite Me! :D

2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Regardless of your obvious charm and wit, no.

3. tcasby

tcasby Banned

At one time I actually knew this this was the improper use of regardless. Thanks for reminding me.

If I had any wit or charm, I'd be out trying to get laid instead of posting on this board. :D

4. Richard Lesher

Richard Lesher Well-Known Member

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Mostly I think she was hung out to dry becasue she was an EASY target. She acted before she thought it through. There were cracks in her claims and the Febs were on her like flies on shit.

It does bother me though she was NOT nailed for the insider trade. She is soooo lucky they didn't go after her for that.

Being on the board of the NYSE and a former Stock Broker really puts a bullseye on your ass if you dick around like this.

Fact of the matter is, any person who is a CEO of a publicly traded company, a NYSE board member, and former stock broker should document every single action they do in relation to stock trading activities. Because of this it is quite obivious someone is up to no good when a person of this caliber lacks documentation.

She was an easy target. That is what happens when you act like this in such a regulated industry in the information age.

I dont see martha as a women in a mans world or a celeb being picked on. I see her as a Board Member of the NYSE that has a fiduciary responsibility to regulate the indsutry.

The result of her actions brings great happiness and joy to my heart. She has lost hundreds of millions of dollars in the value of her portfolio (far in excess of any fine that will be imposed upon her), and it is likely to fall even more (shoud the feds make her sell enough shares of her company so she no longer controls the company).

She should be judged as a NYSE Board Member. She has no morals, and the true Jury of the market reflects this in the value of her company.

She will likely lose all her power in public companies and the market.

At least she can cook.

5. 600inline4

600inline4 Mentally unstable

MS

tcasby,
    by definition: you're correct, wreckless endangerment is engaging in "criminal activity", but to be a "criminal", you must be convicted of the commited crime....... not only that, that's why the Vehicle code is separate from the Crimes code...... Vehicle violations aren't "Crimes", they're Offenses.

speeding and related offenses, per say, does not make you a criminal, just practicing criminal behavior. changing 4 spark plugs doesn't make you a mechanic either.......

i agree with Richard Lesher,
    i think she was an easy target, due to her status, involvement and knowledge of the stock exchange.

there are CEO's out there making a shit load more than $52K on insider trading tips, (plus avoiding loss of stock values and it's associated financial losses) but she was an easy mark and a sure kill for the Feds.........

Not only would this have never happened to any of us, but nobody would have heard about it, if it did.....

i'm not saying she doesn't deserve to be punished, but lets not just lick the icing off the cake, when there's a lot of cake to be eaten too.............:p

Last edited: Mar 11, 2004
  6. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Re: MS

:D :clap: :clap: :clap:

7. tcasby

tcasby Banned

I guess I was trying to defend my point that "committing a crime doesn't necessarily make you a criminal" using an analogy this group was familiar with. Just got silly about it. :eek:

8. Yamaha Fan

Be prepared for the "you seem to have a serious problem with reading comprehension" speach

;)

9. tcasby

tcasby Banned

Re: Re: MS

Disagreeing with me fine, being a butthole about it is something else.

10. 600inline4

hehehe

i'm only a butthole on the even days, Tom............:D :D :D

11. Yamaha Fan

Re: Re: Re: MS

His reply was verbatim with mine…. I guess you just don’t like me, I am hurt… :Poke:

I poked at your position a little, I meant it tongue and cheek, had I intended on anything other than that there was ALLOT more to point out to you…..

12. tcasby

tcasby Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: MS

Actually I was making a logical inference supporting my position.
    Not understanding the difference, you commented on my intelligence and education instead. It pissed my off and I foolishly overreacted.

Such as?

13. Richard Lesher

Richard Lesher Well-Known Member

Well, I think the doom of Marthat was that the CEO dumped all his shares as well as his family. That set off a red flag with regulators with MILLIONS of dollars in shares were being dumped. If was not her transaction that caused the initial probe.

As such, some fed investigator poked around. Now, once that was started they may as well look at A-L-L trades that occured around the same time period, and guess what they found.

Marthat would have slipped right by if the CEO didnt cause the smoke that led to fire.

How many here in the depths of their heart think this is the only time Martha Stewart has taken advantage of information in the stock market like this given her former position with the NYSE Board?

:rolleyes:

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Actually, I think she could have gotten away with minimal damage if she hadn't lied to the feds. That really ticks `em off.

15. Yamaha Fan

MS

Logical inference? yea right... the points made by 600inline4 are almost identical to what I posted, admittedly I angered you by poking at your position, You seem to think there is no connection between a persons position and responsibility relative the action committed... I can't see the logic in that.

My original post spoke to your statement about Martha Stewart directly, you inferred that she was unfairly prosecuted

As explained by myself and others She was at the top of the food chain when it comes to knowing better, CEO of a publicly traded company, former Stock Broker and sitting member of the Board of the NYSE. It is only proper that a small crime = Large consequences! She is a CONVICTED CRIMINAL now and deservedly so.

The other cases you site will be prosecuted in due time. The true gravity of the Enron, Global Crossings etc.. dictates that they be fully investigated. One of the first priorities in those cases is to track and recover the money. Additionally the complexity of these cases requires time to fully develop and investigate. Stewart’s case is relatively simple. Your reply’s and questions show you miss the point completely.

I apologize for angering you with my comment on your education but come on what else is there after you asked this question?

You make such a disconnected comparison then your surprised and angered I poked at you?

I will be polite about it, read some of your own posts CAREFULLY

16. tcasby

tcasby Banned

Sigh
    I don't think we were arguing the same point.

I made the statement that MS may have committed a crime, but she was no criminal. This was rebutted by a couple of folks stating essentially, "if you commit a crime, you are by definition, a criminal" (premise 1)

I responded with "Most sportbikers have committing crimes" (premise 2) which is where you jumped in. I assumed you were disputing premise 2 and I was trying to show it was self evident.

If premise 1 is always true and premise 2 is self evident, than the inference is that "most sport bikers are criminals" which most here would agree is false. The conclusion is that premise 1 must not always be true.

Apology accepted. :D

17. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Yep, sure thing. She tried to sell stock that she knew was headed into the dumper. Every investor who bought one of those shares was the victim of her crime.

Your hypothetical scenario about someone doing a buck forty on the highway is in no way comparable as there are no victims in this "crime." No one is damaged by you doing 140 on some deserted highway. In Martha's case, people suffered very real consequences to her actions.

18. tcasby

tcasby Banned

I was not debating with Yamaha Fan whether or not MS was a criminal, that's a matter of opinion. I was debating the somewhat smug statements that "by definition" she is a criminal.

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Ah yes, the victimless crime... like smokin' a J. There are still folks in Texas prisons for smokin' a doobie in the `70s. At one time it was a life sentence! Man, if they'd just run over a biker or somethin', they'd be out with children and grandchildren by now.

Butt I digress...

The only difference between most of us is that we are not convicted criminals. When you break a law, you commit a crime. When you commit a crime, you are a criminal.

20. 600inline4

crime

i thought it was:

if you commit a crime, you're innocent until proven guilty...?:Poke: