1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making your own race parts

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, Oct 3, 2016.

1. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Dunno, but this pic belongs in the cool motorcycle pic thread. That iteration Duc is so much prettier than the current ones with wings

TheGrouchyCat likes this.
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

So far, I haven't seen anything 3-D printed what I would put on the race bike

Metalhead likes this.
  3. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Yamaha M1 wings are 3D printed.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Where's Lever when his genius is needed?

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

ok, but there we are talking MotoGP race team super fancy 3D printer (with whatsoever space materials) vs. common industrial printer (we have an FDM and STL here and no effin' way i'd put it on my bike except for mock-up) and the lowest level : home use printers

6. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

You're taking about taking it out of the printer and mounting it. I'm sure the teams are doing quite a bit of cleanup/sanding to make them not look like shitty fdm parts.

For the most part though, I despise fdm parts. They are good for mock-up and verification, but it has gotten a bit out of hand.

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

DMSL plus HIP gets you pretty solid parts that you can bolt up.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

2003 R6, I technically do race a vintage bike ;)

9. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Uh, ok. I was thinking along the lines of BSA's . . . . But, whatever . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

TheGrouchyCat likes this.
  10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Uh.....Nope. Try again........:p

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Screw you!

12. TheGrouchyCat

"Vintage 8 Mediumweight
    Machines based on C Superbike rules that are 12 years old or older based on the current season year as well as the exact same model of a newer year but unchanged in every way other than graphics."

Sorry to make you geezers feel old :p

One of my favorite memories is going to the Good Guys car show in Columbus with my brother and grandpa. I said something along the lines of "Dang there's cars from the 50's here, that's old school!"
    Then my grandpa said "That's nothing, where are the REAL classics???" As we walked to the cars from the 20's for him.:crackup:

13. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Here's an idea. Make adjuster plates that for woodcraft rear sets so you can adjust the height

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

They make those. They're called Vortex rear sets.

CBRpilot, The Great One and masshole like this.
  15. TheGrouchyCat

Yea I bent my vortex adjustable rearset....I could just reproduce the part I bent, but that's not as fun. Maybe I'll make that part first as a test, then if that goes smoothly I'll design my own custom set.

16. metricdevilmoto

I actually laughed out loud. :crackup:

17. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I don't like the vortex ones. I'm a picky bitch

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  18. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

Fuck, do these things ever NOT bend in a crash? Usually you lose the footpeg and either the adjustment bracket or the rearset that holds the footpeg and mounts to the bracket. I'll take that over Duc xx9 rearset mounts shearing from the frame, but cmon.

19. metricdevilmoto

The new(er) pegs have reliefs machined into them to break off that work quite well. I'll gladly sacrifice a peg when a bike gets thrown down the road.

V5 Racer likes this.
  20. I love making parts. But for a race bike bolt that shit on and keep spares. For 1 off passion projects make everything.