1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making your own race parts

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Nah, gotta be bike related. I've been getting the itch again big time lately.

2. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

easier to learn tricks when its ur full time job. Start with polyester resin and chop mat fiberglass(cheap) u really just need a paint gun with highbuild primer(for mistakes/leveling), bondo/sandpaper skills(same reason), and a good release wax(rexco partall paste #2)... vacuum pump(plus bagging materials) for making nicer, lighter parts. I use sollercomposites for carbon... u can get the other materials anywhere.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. This. Lots of instruction out there but you need to practice.

tittys04 likes this.
  4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Not a race part but something more difficult I took on
    Fits some obsolete piece of farm equipment
    Fusion 360 has a cool spur gear add-0n that got me started with the initial CAD layout
    Material is 8620 steel
    Gear.jpg Gear2.jpg

5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

That's awesome. Something about new, milled shit replaced worn out cast stuff gets me.

pscook likes this.
  6. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

So I'm getting trained on our fancy new OMAX water jet at work and I was told if I want I can model something on my own time and cut it during our training. Some how this place doesn't have a simple bridgeport mill so currently that isn't an option. But I can do 5 axis beveling up to 70 degrees and only material I'd be allowed to touch is aluminum (hopefully 6061) and mild steel. Brainstorming of what I could make so far and I'm thinking maybe rearset brackets, some kind of axle block spool lift, some fork mount AimSolo holder. Can't be cutting lots and selling stuff but I'd like to make myself something nice and useful.

7. Dan Dubeau

Shark fin, lever guard, heavy duty coat hanger for leathers. Cut your name in them. Rear set side plates. Cut a bunch....
    Also think about tools. If I had access to a water jet for an hour, I'd be banging out a bunch of Kant twist clamp side plates in all different sizes. The rest of the clamps are simple lathe/mill work.

Having a job that lets you use the equipment on your own time is a very nice luxury. Right now I'm waiting on some steel to come in so I can get started on building my own bandsawmill. :)

8. mike-guy

Sadly my dreams got crushed when I found out we only have thin soft aluminum I could use. I can't really do this whenever I want but the training lends itself to it. Supposedly we have small pieces of titanium floating around I may try and snatch. Nothing like taking advantage of everything you can as an intern!

9. Dan Dubeau

Metal supermarkets. Buy your own material. And yeah, never pass up an opportunity :)

10. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Grab some foam and shadow board your tool box.

11. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Which omax did you get?

12. mike-guy

They bought the big bad boy. 100hp motor, 6 cycl pump, A-Jet, largest table they offer, crazy 4 valve external filter system, etc. $700k........

13. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Ours has the tilt-a-jet head. 55x100 table. I honestly haven't looked at the hp rating.

Man I love ours. The dickhead I work for doesn't allow us to do anything for ourselves. On the waterjet or the cnc machines. I try and what not but barely get anything accomplished.

Don't know your location, but is Ray wilmes your trainer from omax?

14. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Pit bull pins
    Push pins from McMaster are expensive!
    IMG_0166.jpg

15. drop

drop Well-Known Member

But worth it

16. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

75735BFC-7610-431D-ABB5-AA27AB3C33E9.jpeg 6A0D579F-B104-4DE5-9DF9-9A4EE2D88A07.jpeg I’ve been playing with some prototype black powder mini cannons. Started with turned wooden barrels with pressed in stainless tube. Evolved to solid billet aluminum due to a “hot load” failure. One has a brass breach. Started with .177 BB’s then to .250 ball bearings.
    Too much fun!!

Attached Files:

TheGrouchyCat, fallrisk and GRH like this.
  17. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Clubman legal?

18. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

52D001E6-2B16-4BAF-92DE-3C3F36BC712C.jpeg C7EE94FA-10B9-48B8-85CE-3B938A9DCFAD.jpeg With a 1.6 cc load, it pierces 8 gauge steel.

19. fallrisk

fallrisk Well-Known Member

https://www.yarde.com/cgi-bin/dropzone.pl

20. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

I used to race an old BMW. Eveything had to be handmade. Luckily I had some really good fabricators/builders as friends: Frank Shockley, Troy McAfee, Barry Crowe, Ed Johnson and Brad Phillips, with advice/help from Mark Mitchell. Too bad I was a slow AF sissy or I would have been a force with which to have been reckoned.

TheGrouchyCat and panthercity like this.