1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Machinists, learn me a bit

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, Feb 19, 2019.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I had a small SB like that. They are fun lathes to learn and play on. I agree with Dan, Check the ways with a straight edge, turn things by hand, listen feel the bearings, wiggle etc.

And no way I would pay $1500 for one that isnt running unless it had lots of tooling, change gears, etc...

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

There's a big difference between that SB9, and that other SB heavy 10. Like an sv650 vs a Tl1000r. Both twins, made by Suzuki, but......

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

That first SB-10 you posted was the one to get.
    I'd be looking for a SB lite 10K or heavy 10, imho. They pop up all the time, just be ready, ducks/info in a row.
    The SB9 is the one w/ the smaller bore, that would be too small for the triple tree stem you wanted to make.

4. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I've found most of the sellers of these older machines to be quite affable and if I was serious they were more than happy to spend time showing me how it works, taking it for a spin, and taking whatever measurements I wanted. On the lathe I did take the time to measure runout and ran a few test pieces. I guess that is contingent on it being in running condition. As has been stated by others, I would deduct quite a bit for something I couldn't see running.

Can't hurt to go look at that lathe. Even if you don't buy it, you may learn something useful for evaluating the next one.

5. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I would pass on that for all the reasons mentioned. Not running, well used, not a very good tooling package.
    I own a Southbend 9A, in retrospect I would recommend the 10's or other larger lathe for versatility based on larger size. That being said I will repeat my self, the 9A has served me well and taught me a lot. Just have to be creative with some of the size limitations. I would also recommend going to see as many as you can and agree that generally the sellers are into machining and love to talk about it. Anyone that won't let you check out the machine running has something to hide. Don't rush these things come on the market all the time. Sometimes you can find full restored versions or low hour versions.

IMG_4325 copy.JPG

Dan Dubeau and SpeedyE like this.
  6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Awesome, huge thanks guys! Didn't realize there'd be that much of a difference between the 9" and 10". I'll go check it out but will not be planning to buy. Thanks!!

7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

8. SpeedyE

9. SpeedyE

That's a beautiful cared for SB machine

10. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying a SB9 is a piece of junk. They are good lathes, and more than capable of turning out good work if still tight and in good shape, and great for a begginer to learn on. I just find they have inflated price tags compared to other lathes that are leaps and bounds better in both quality and capacity. For the same money, your dollar can go much further. Myford is another one that falls in that category for me. Even though I own a super 7, I think the prices they go for are outrages compared to their capabilities. It's a nice little lathe (even if the carriage handwheel is on the wrong side....british), but for the same money I can get a 3-5hp engine lathe that is MUCH more machine. Goes back to what I said about earlier in that home hobby machines sell for the same, or more money than much more capable industrial machines sometimes.

The good news there is that you can always get your money back when it comes to sell it and upgrade, as the market is there. As long as you don't overpay, or buy yourself under a project in the first place.

Rib333's advice about trying it out is great. Be wary of somebody who won't let your take some test cuts, and "play" around with it. That's also a nice example of a survivor with original finish that isn't trying to hide anything. Nice lathe.

SpeedyE likes this.
  12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

13. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Low milage on my 9A. Still has frosting on the ways. More power, more swing, more better, but I have to fit as much as I can in the climate controlled garage, the rest of the bikes, metal working tools, and woodworking tools are in an accessory structure behind the house (that's what the town calls my shed!).

IMG_4319 copy.JPG

14. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

The Atlas/Craftsman have flat ways vs. Southbend and others with various types of triangular ways. Do a lot of research and make sure you are making the right choice. If money were no object that brand new Southbend would already be on it's way to my house.

15. TWF2

Just keep on mind for under $5k you can buy brand new lates that are bigger and will outperform those.
    Another thing you will probably not see on craiglist is to look for local stores that liquidate out of the business machine shops. You can go there and see what they have in stock or what may come in soon.

SpeedyE likes this.
  16. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I was just gonna ask about that.. I've been concentrating on the old lathes assuming the new ones at the same price are junk, but when "around" the same price is expanded to another grand or two - which doubles the price, but I wasn't initially aware I was looking at the bare bottom of the price points - I was just starting to wonder what new/modern options there are.

Jet was one brand that was listed as not too shabby (including this one for $4k with stand and tooling). Would I be correct in assuming that most of the modern lathes will be Chinese/Taiwanese imports, and that American-made isn't much of a thing anymore? I remember you guys saying Taiwanese = good, Chinese = risky, and that many of the brands are the same underlying product so I'd have to research each offering to see where it's made etc.

There are too many options of these goddamn things. Bikes are the same price but way simpler.

My sticker-shock around the prices of these I think centers around wanting both a lathe and a mill. I'm prepared to spend ~5k to get myself set up... I just want both a lathe and a mill.

17. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

But if I want two racebikes for $5k total, I'm gonna get a pair of well-worn '04 600's... the parallels here are uncanny

18. TWF2

Just get this thing :) https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/hvo/d/clearlake-park-lathe/6824283679.html

You have 2 choices, buy old used american made and hope you get lucky and get good one. Or buy new import, pretty much only choice for money you want to spend.
    They don't make them like old ones any more. There is no market for it, it switched to CNC so manual lathes are what we get from asia.
    Most are made in same places with some changes and more or less options. Some are better than others, better quality control.
    before my current I had 12x36 Birmingham. Got 10 years out of it and it worked fine. Bought new one and had both for some time.
    I did burn couple 220 motors due to high voltage at my house. Reason I switched it to 3 face and VFD. I do use it daily so some of features are worth it extra to me.
    For your budget something like this would probably work good, $3500 new. https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1236/
    MSC Industrial which is local to you also sells same size and similar Enco brand for same price.

Prices for new ones vs old used ones was reason I bought both of my new. I just did not want to mess with old ones even if they are better.

19. TWF2

You will find good used mill easier than lathe and for less money.

20. TWF2

I think bunch of those old machines don't cut metric threads.
    Even this imports they say it cuts standard and metric but they don't do it in same way. To cut metric I have to use motor rotation to go back and forth so machine is engaged all the time. Have to manually back out cutter on the end of thread and go back and forth like that. And for some thread pitch I have to change gear which is not big deal. Smaller thread sizes, under M20 I still use taps and dies chucked in lathe because it is easier.