1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ludicrous mode

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

old news.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28420...n-fire-randomly-and-theres-no-recall-in-sight

plus you cannot extinguish a li-ion battery. it will keep self-igniting.

however, what i found interesting about the acceleration statistics:

[​IMG]

the car keeps accelerating with the same pace over these runs, while the appliance wears out quickly.

out of this article:
    https://www.caranddriver.com/review...an-turbo-s-vs-2020-tesla-model-s-performance/

TurboBlew, 418 and Boman Forklift like this.
  2. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That was very interesting, thank you for posting that Phil.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Eh, too many possible reason for it. I'd lean towards bad wiring in the garage.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

At least those are being driven when they go up and not sitting in the garage waiting to spontaneously burn the house down. These events need to have more scrutiny as random car fires weren't something that happened to new cars for a long time. Plenty of poorly maintained 10 years old cars or poorly modified cars go up on the side of the road but new under warranty cars bursting into flames is an issue.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

difference with these is , once the fire dept. is there, they can take care of it within 5 minutes, if you have a fire extinguisher in your car, you could possibly even save the car.

on a B-EV, you just have to let it burn for a day or 5.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I wonder when insurance companies will start adding clauses regarding EVs in garages.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Probably never since there are tons of examples of gas powered vehicles shorting out and catching fire in garages.

11. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

Wow, that's actually pretty impressive.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Floored me the first time I noticed it. Has been that accurate on all interstates and 2 lane back roads - granted that's the Garmin, don't have easy access to the speed limit showing on the car ones.

13. 418

418 Expert #59

So essentially after the 2nd hit the Tesla becomes your average grocery getter.

That Tycan is the first EV car I'm actually impressed by. Just looks great for what it is, different but not weird.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It was recently reported that reads the least efficient EV on the market. Limited range, with performance that's not better than a Tesla.

Now that I think about it, this thread has been going on for a while. I'm probably repeating something that was already posted. :D

15. 418

418 Expert #59

Are you really under some illusion that I might be able to afford one of these? :D I was strictly speaking from window shopping (a.k.a. DaveK'ing) point of view.

Tesla looks like a 1999 Ford Taurus.

The Tycan looks like Porsche.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You sir have won a prize. Someone will be along shortly to give you what you deserve. :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow......that’s pretty harsh.:p:D

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version