1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud ass generators are not even remotely friendly

Discussion in 'General' started by roy826ex, Feb 19, 2016.

1. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

So I just bought that HF 3000-3500 inverter generator because I need more wattage then my champion gen has. How awesome or terrible is it?

I’ll be running my toyhauler off of it and using my champion gen during the day for warmers

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Please park next to Roy.

Mot Okstef, Chris, BC and 5 others like this.
  3. JBowen33

They both aren’t loud at all....

4. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Powerwise it's up to the task....now whether or not it will perform that task continuously all weekend, that is another story. We bought one...and it let us down both weekends we used it, Barber and Roebling. I've known others with no problems...others like us that took it back asap and got a refund. Running a Honda 3ooois with zero issues since...

Good luck to you.

JBowen33 likes this.
  5. JBowen33

I got the two year replacement plan with it so if it’s junk I’ll just take it back. Good thing is if I had too I could run my set up with just the champion. I like the idea of having two just for a back up and the fact if I can make my wife and 3 year old happy buy letting them run every light and appliance in the camper at the same time like they normally do then it’s a win in my book.

I can’t get over how quite the thing is. I’m at least impressed with that from the get go.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  6. Jon Wilkens

I got the replacement warranty as well...got that refunded to me as well since I never got into that warranty period to use it...lol Yes, it was pretty quiet. BUT, that is also part of the problem. Most pull that wad of stuff in the exhaust out, and make sure you have good ventilation UNDER it. It just has some design issues that make it run hot, and that is where you'll have issues...it just quits and then won't work until cooled down.

Just make sure you have back up until you know if it's going to be reliable or not. Thankfully, we did and were ok. I have no worries with the Honda.

JBowen33 likes this.
  7. JBowen33

I wish I could have gotten the Honda but ( I know people will jump down my throat on here for saying this) but I didn’t want to spend “Honda” money on it. They by far are superior to everything but like I said I’ll have two generators and if I had too I could survive a weekend with just one. I got this as a back up/ convenience to keep my wife and 3 year old happy going to the track with me as she goes but it’s not her favorite weekend trip lol

Also I will say the champion is quite for what it is and if I would run it over night I pit away from people as I normally would any way since I like having space that it wouldn’t bother anyone. The HF is quiter then the champion for sure

8. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Love mine. Make sure you use non oxy gas. I did the oil door mod. Common issue. Easy to do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9. CRA_Fizzer

If it surges with no load, it's starved for air. [​IMG]

Murcielago311 and JBowen33 like this.
  10. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

BTW, where I am at the new Honda EU2200 is on hold from being sold, apparently a bad batch of them and waiting on a fix. Local dealer had them all with not for sale tags on Saturday.

11. JBowen33

Did you notice anything is sound level change when you did that?

12. CRA_Fizzer

No change in sound level. These are just as quiet as the Honda 3000. I wrap filter material around it.

JBowen33 likes this.
  13. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

My HF 3500 has been perfect so far as well. Haven't done the oil door mod yet. I just run it with the door off for now.

I did updgrade the stock spark plug after the first break-in oil change.

CRA_Fizzer and JBowen33 like this.
  14. JBowen33

I saw someone online buy those uni air box filter vent and put them in the door. I order some on amazon for 8 bucks and free shipping it looks pretty clutch.

I ran mine for about 5 hours for break in changed the oil and going to let her rip at a track weekend next month.

Side note* that electric start is so nice.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  15. CRA_Fizzer

What did you change it to?

16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

NGK BR9ES........I think that's the part. You may want to double-check, I can't look right now.

17. 10MM

10MM Action Reaction

Stop sale on most 2200’s for a fuel petcock issue. The repair bulletin should be out in early March, according to Honda :confused:

18. Jon Wilkens

I paid $1500 for the Honda, new in the box. WELL worth the piece of mind and no hassles.

19. Chango

Chango Something clever!

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

So I've had this generator for about 5 years now but never really used it all that much. I haven't run slicks because I'm slow so I don't need warmers, but I have used it to power my Foreman grill at track days a few times. Until this past weekend.

Tulsa (and the rest of Oklahoma) got hit with a decent wind storm Saturday night and early Sunday morning. It tore through Tulsa at about 12:15-12:30 am on Sunday with wind speeds up to 100 mph. Over half the city lost power. The power still isn't back on at my house three days later, but the official count from the power company has come down from a little over 200,000 to only 77,000 people without power now.

This cheap-ass little green generator has performed flawlessly since Sunday morning. Granted, all it's doing is keeping the refrigerator and freezer running, but the food it has saved this week is worth far more than I paid for this little green box of joy. Is it Honda quiet? I don't know; but it's definitely not offensively loud, and it has worked far better than I really expected from a 5-year-old, cheap-ass, clearance-sale Home Depot genny.

Did I just get lucky and get the only good one out of the whole batch? Maybe so, but at my age I'm fine with getting lucky once in a while.

TurboBlew and Razr like this.
  20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I've got no complaints on my "Made for Nothern Tool" Honda 8500 watt or my little EU2200. I run the big one during the day and back feed into specific circuits and then run the little one at night due to the noise level of the big one. They both always start on the second pull. New place has a Generac whole house on it so the big one will be surplus to my needs.