1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Got the 6.5 out looking for hogs in the highlander mom mobile . Got two earlier
    [​IMG]

Quicktoy and renegade17 like this.
  2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

https://www.recoilweb.com/assassins-way-leveling-up-precision-rifle-competition-160206.html

"So, you're a pretty good shooter? That's great, but it's not enough. Assassin's Way was designed to be a test of shooting skills along with fieldcraft skills like land navigation, target detection, range estimation, and keep-in-memory (KIM) games. And here's the real kicker– you'll be doing it without a ballistic calculator, rangefinder, or GPS."

"A winner takes all top prize of $500,000."

Wingnut likes this.
  3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I outsourced the MPA 6.5, it was beyond awesome but heavy for my old ass for field work and I wanted something more substantial caliber wise for a 2021 Newfoundland hunt. I was going to go a slightly different direction with this brand but this thing is light as hell. I did switch to a MPA grip.

300PRC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris, wsmc 589, Quicktoy and 4 others like this.
  4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I think I'm going to build a 7 Sherman Max on a SS Tikka action for a new long range deer gun next year.

5. Steak Travis

the 16" MPR in 308 is super tempting. So light weight and handy

Canadian Bacon and lizard84 like this.
  6. lizard84

Just about range ready.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wingnut and gt#179 like this.
  7. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

beautiful! whats the total weight gonna be when assembled?

8. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

I started putting together an ar for 6.5 Grendel and then 6mm ARC happened. Still undecided but I'm leaning towards the 6mm.

9. lizard84

I’m curious as well about the exact total, I’ll get it weighed and let you know. I know the whole package feels much lighter than the MPA, even with the tripod on.

socalrider likes this.
  10. lizard84

It weighs 11.45 lbs with bipod & magazine, 8.9 lbs without the bipod, scope & rings. Over 2 lbs less than my old Mpa with the same scope.

The muzzle brake is incredibly effective as well as incredibly loud, it’s makes it a pleasure to shoot.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  11. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

thats awesome. beautiful rifle and build, cheers to you sir.

12. lizard84

Took it out to 300 yards today, I know, that nothing, but It’s a stepping stone. I had to qualify at 300 with this rifle/scope combination to get rated for the 600 yard range at the Manatee gun club, that box has been checked! The Leupold VX5HD 3x15 will definitely be a fine field piece but as someone mentioned earlier in this thread it ain’t going to be the ideal 600 to 1000 yard scope. I haven’t pulled the trigger on that yet, want something short and light as possible. Eotech VUDU 5x25x50 & Kahles K318i are on the short list (pun intended) Still soliciting recommendations along those lines.

13. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any feedback on quality or functionality of the Athlon Ares BTR Gen II as compared to a Vortex Viper PST? I've seen some of you praise the Athlon, but I'm largely unfamiliar with it otherwise.

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

A guy I shoot with weekly has one or two as well as a Razor and Cronus. I personally have a PST and think it is a great scope for the money. I am currently using it to shoot High Power sling competition(even though it is in Mil). It is my go to recommendation for anyone getting into shooting long range and not looking to drop big $$$.

15. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

just about done with my ARC/MDT build. Should have rings today (ARC M10 mediums) and a scope in a few weeks when they come off back order (Razor HD G2 4.5-27). Will shoot it for a bit in the 308 configuration before I swap barrels to the 6.5 after I get used to it. Will post up some photos once the scope comes in..

16. Steak Travis

I've got one of these on the way except 16" 308. I even have NF rings I had in the safe and gonna put the vx5hd I have on it hah.

I think I'm a couple weeks out from being approved on my Thunder beast ultra 7. 16" MPR with the TBAC is going to be a white tail stalking/shooting machine

Edit: Damn I just looked up at my post a few posts up...... I held out for a couple months at least

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  17. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Not exactly long-range but have been waiting for 2 years to get this rifle. Winchester Model 70 Super Grade .308 Pictures don't do the stock justice.
    Resize M-70.JPG

vfrket and lizard84 like this.
  18. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

New scope on my squirrel gun. :D
    m82vortex.jpg

Yes I do hate those little fuckers. Just wait for them to climb down and hang out near the base of a tree. :crackup:

socalrider likes this.
  19. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Thats a beautiful stock.

20. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Shoot a squirrel and get firewood at the same time. I can shoot about 750 yards at my new place whats a decent bolt .50 cal these days? I have only used a 50 cal in the military and I know I can't afford a semi-auto .50.

Pretty sure my next rifle will be in 6.5 Creedmoor. It feels like it's more than a fad now and it does have some pretty good ballistics or maybe a 300 win mag. I have read the 6.5 isn't enough for elk or moose both of which are on my bucket list hunts.