1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living in Michigan

Discussion in 'General' started by rowe748, Sep 26, 2018.

1. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I see a lot of pictures trying to convince us its nice to live there yet they are all places that nobody lives. Don't see any houses on that beach or island.

2. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I have to keep pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. Life is good ! :beer:

t11ravis likes this.
  3. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I’d never move there. Cold as shit.

Can’t think of a good reason to even try it. Cold, cold, cold, short summer, flat as fuck. Nope!

In fact I’d never move further north of Memphis TN from my current wet ass raining every day humid ass location :p Colder there than where I’m at now IMO and I don’t like that part of TN anyway.

Face it all the good spots are way to crowded already :( stick it out where you’re at.

4. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Yep short summers. I put the boats in the water in May and plan to take them out next week. Let me see that's about 6 months of summer

5. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

It can be a real pain after a while. I don't mind the cold so much but when it's snowing all the time it diverts your attention from getting others things done outside. Where I live we average 120" of snow a year. I have a 60" 3pt hitch snowblower which makes light work of it but snow on everything all the time for months can be a drain. Plus they salt the crap out of the roads so vehicles take a beating.
    The flip side is I can go snowmobiling right from my house or skiing 15 minutes away

Edit:I don't live in Michigan, just commenting on the desire for snow

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  6. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Picking up my snowmobiles later this afternoon :)

October is the official month to make the switch. Summet stuff gets stowed, winter stuff comes out.

JJJerry and beac83 like this.
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I started mine and let it run a few minutes the other day. Getting closer. :)

8. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Lived there from 9yrs old to 23. Took a job in GA out of college and haven’t lived north of the Ohio river since.

If I could do the 7 months there, 5 months elsewhere I’d be in.
    I lived in the lake effect zone and it was grey from Oct thru April. I like seeing the sun and riding a motorcycle any month of the year.

9. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Motorcycles year round - Check!

[​IMG]

5axis, Sabre699, beac83 and 4 others like this.
  10. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Sunny and 78 yesterday so I added gas stabilizer and went for a few passes then put it on the trailer today.
    Oct Donzi.jpg

11. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Michigan is awesome. I'm going to miss it.

12. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Traverse City (West Bay) yesterday.
    Unreal.
    C60D1881-B4C6-455F-A48F-0B5BC854EF95.jpeg

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I don't get it, what's unreal?

14. t11ravis

That it was was taken on Oct. 9 and it was 79 degrees.
    I definitely don’t remember that weather when I was a kid!

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I see. The weather will change soon. Sunday our heat index was 95, stores were bringing snow blowers out for the season. It's 80 today, 54 tomorrow, 36 Friday night.

16. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

The wife and I are going to see a show in Detroit on Friday. Low in the 30s. Going to miss this beautiful weather for another 6+ months.

17. t11ravis

Yeah, definitely don’t miss that part.
    (as I sit through another hurricane...)
    Gonna move to San Diego next.

18. motoracer1100

It was 88 degrees in Traverse City yesterday ., mid 70's today .... upper 40's and rain tomorrow :confused:

19. motoracer1100

It's not normally that warm this time of year .
    Edit : or that calm .. October is usually windy as Hell

20. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Reading about “Michigan being flat”, I would have to guess they haven’t been to Cadillac, Traverse City, Petosky or Charlevoix areas. Some of the overlooks are spectacular during fall colors, along with places like the Hodenpyl backwaters on the Manistee, or the Muskegon river ‘high banks’.
    On more than one occasion the hill where we lived delivered half mile sled rides, when it rained & froze, or with the toboggans, when we had a ‘snow’.