1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living in Michigan

Discussion in 'General' started by rowe748, Sep 26, 2018.

1. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Hit or miss could be 70 in December and 30 in June. Usually April May and June are great, July and August get pretty hot and humid, September October are good but can be a bit more wet then November to March are anyone's guess.

Overall weather is nice. Further north is better in my opinion because if its going to be cold may as well have snow. Southern part of the state it could be snowy or just cold and brown outside.

I've gone to both Holloween and St Patties Day parties in shorts and also in snow suits. Depends on the year

2. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

Sounds similar to NJ weather which isn't too bad. I'm sure it gets quite a bit colder, but as long as it doesn't linger indefinitely then I'm OK. Seems like it's rained almost every day here in NJ this summer, so I'm OK with some wet weather.

3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Imo Grand Rapids is where you wanna be. Holland is really nice and Kalamazoo is nice too but GR is full of good restaurants and bars and breweries. If you wanna go further north Traverse city is really nice as is all the areas around it. L
    LOADS of dirt bike riding to do around Michigan too.

R/T Performance and LisaU like this.
  4. LisaU

LisaU Active Member

Agreed. GRR and all surroundings areas....thumbs up ! Spring Summer and Fall are great.... winter is pretty for about two weeks ...Jan Feb Mar ... not so great .... C O L D and grey

5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

That map...lol. I was there working about 10 years ago and we rode bikes over to the street races on Epworth. So glad we did, what an awesome night. I looked on the "map" and that area is simply labeled, War Zone, WTF and Crack :crackup:

Banditracer likes this.
  6. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

I would recommend you stay EAST of 69 and south of 94. Stay out of the metro area, and look into some of small towns west of there, because they offer a much better sense of community. Brooklyn, Milan, Tecumseh, Saline, Adrian and Blissfield would be good for your GEO requirements.

7. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Shhhh. Keep that shit to yourself. It’s cold 11 months out of the year, snows 10 of those months and it’s nothing but flat land and corn as far you can see on the arrow straight roads. ;)

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Growing up in Illinois, is very similar weather, and I was always tired of winter by the time winter season officially starts, around Dec 21st.

IMO yes Midwest winters are much colder than NJ.

I thought Grand Rapids was a nice area, when I covered that area in sales.

XFBO and LisaU like this.
  9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yea but the snowmobile trails have curves :bow:

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Just say no.

11. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

About the only thing Michigan needs is a nice set of mountains for some good skiing. So basically, it’s like Idaho, only without the mountains ... and good skiing.

12. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

You can ski between @JJJerry and i this weekend Plarp

Razr likes this.
  13. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Michigan had one of the nicest Ski Hill ever ..
    It was Sugarloaf in Leelanau county . The views from the ski lift over looking Lime , and little Traverse Lake , the Glacial hills and valleys right on the shores of Lake Michigan , and Both North & South Manitou islands in the immediate backdrop ... rivale those of any ski hill anywhere . Nice combo of both steep and long downhill runs . :beer:

14. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I live in "Rich whites with no taste". Awesome. :D

I'm about 45 north of Detroit. It's a nice area. You get all four seasons, but the winters can be chilly. That's the main complaint. Everything else is pretty good. And yes, nice proximity to a number of tracks.

15. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Everything said by the resident Michiganders is accurate. As for East vs. West - both have their merits. Depends on if you like the hectic suburban life or the rural life IMO.

My hot takes:
    -There are many inland lakes that are lived on year round that are a pretty great time if you're into that kind of thing.
    - If you're a mountain biker, there are several great trails in southeast Michigan (don't know about the west).
    - Nick is right about Ann Arbor. I have a few buddies that live there. It's great for cycling, but man I hate going there. Something about Prius' and Leaf's that retract your ability to operate a motor vehicle.
    -The northern half of the lower and the upper are an outdoorsmans dream. Tons of dirt bike/snowmobile trails (nothing for ATV's though, sorry).
    -No funny accents until you get to the far north :)
    -Quick bridge / tunnel drive if you want a Cesar or drive on the QEW.
    -Roads suck, especially in the south east.
    -Car insurance is ridiculously expensive.
    -I grew up in Michigan, so I didn't realize this was abnormal - but there are still thousands of dirt roads.

16. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

You must go to a different part of Up
    North than me. There are more places to ride an ATV / UTV than there are for your sedan. If you add in berm jumping you can double that amount ;)

17. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Nope, sorry. No ATV's allowed up there. :Poke:

sheepofblue likes this.
  18. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

For me, Traverse City/Leland/Suttons Bay/Leelanau Peninsula is heaven. Everything I do, I can do over there better. Better surfski paddling, better kayaking on huge sand bottom crystal clear lakes, better mountain biking and better xc skiing. I have pressuring my wife to move there, since we both work from home and all we need is the internet, which I heard the northern part of Michigan got 3-4 years ago....... Only problem with that area is the problem we have here........richy snobs from the big cities (Chicago, MKE, Detroit) flooding the area on weekends.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  19. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Hold my beer...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

20. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

If Grand Rapids isn't too far North for your work travel that would be the place to be.