1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little Talledega headache

Discussion in 'General' started by lateapexer, Feb 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True but yours didn't get demolished :D

I still remember taking Bargys school on a bike I had already sold. That was a truly not fun day as it's all I could think about on track.

2. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Welcome to EVERY GNF lol

ChemGuy likes this.
  3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Trying to remember but did you mention this in one of your RRW articles?
    I know you wrote about getting the bike or at least mentioning it in one of your pieces. A very very very long time ago. LOL

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No, you must have read that on the BBS.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I didn't know that until it was returned to the shop. :D

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Look at this place...... Its just taunting us all.......

20180816_082753.jpg

Except for Geoff, Josh and a few other Hot Shots....

Phl218, 418 and Kris87 like this.
  7. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

The race we did immediately after the repave/grind or whatever they did was the sketchiest race I ever did. It was a dustbowl. Less lean angle than a full wet race. Not cool!

jonathanp and Dano711 like this.
  8. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

That and Road Atlanta turn 7 after a resurface there years ago. Hopefully Barber won't be as slick at first.

9. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

Hayes is imo the greatest racer/ambassador in the sport. He took time to help me out and even let me ride his bike on the same day we met. That was the coolest and most nerve wracking laps for a newbie. Hope he kicks ass at Daytona.

418 and Pitmom42 like this.
  10. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

So where else would a regular Joe looking for riding tips get advice from a multi-time American Superbike champion and top ten finisher in a MotoGP race, and a guy who rode a season in World Superbike, plus multiple American Superbike seasons? Sheesh.

YamahaRick likes this.
  11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Tally was never a favorite of mine. I was there in '95/'96? , when a life was lost.
    I remember Josh Hayes and Opie was there. It was an Ed Bargy school/trackday wknd.

Sucks to have a memory of a track in such a bad light. :(

12. Gmay99

Gmay99 Well-Known Member

We were all wera novices. Hard work and dedication pays off. Well and destroying a few bikes too.

Phl218, Pitmom42 and noles19 like this.
  13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Are you still offering coaching?

14. Gmay99

Gmay99 Well-Known Member

Of course. The hardest part is finding a time and place that works. Some days I have delusions of grandeur and dream of having my own training facility/school

Pitmom42 and noles19 like this.
  15. 418

418 Expert #59

Hayes was our guest speaker at the WERA school I took years ago.

I know I'm stealing this phrase from somewhere but I know some Novice 600 riders that have a bigger ego than that guy.

I've been a fan since.

Dano711, Phl218 and ToofPic like this.
  16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Any chance you're available in the beginning of April? At CMP?

17. Gmay99

Gmay99 Well-Known Member

Pm me the details and I’ll look into it

noles19 likes this.
  18. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

My favorite track. And, I guess it’s because its where I started. Thankfully I never had to witness a life lost there. Raced on the very first asphalt paved there and loved it...hooked. Those days, we had the likes of Scott Russell, Doug Polen, Jamie James, Mike Harth, Kurt Hall, Kevin Rentzell, Dale Quarterley, Thomas Stevens, Greg Tyser, Cam Roos, and some I cannot remember that might show up there. Cam Roos had the very first FZR 400 I ever saw. That track made me love motorcycle road racing.

ToofPic likes this.
  19. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I've crashed at Tally more than any other track,I also got my first wood there.I remember most of those names,but never ran up front with any of them.
    Unfortunately I witnessed a few deaths there.One that will always stick out,was the guy pitted next to us.If I remember correctly he was from Kentucky,
    expert zx6 .We always pitted in the same place at Tally.
    I was late one morning,missed first practice,and the police were there doing a report.
    He missed his turn in at 1,and went through the grass,got back on track and high sided.
    I will never forget watching his family load all the stuff up,and go home without him.
    Kevin Rentzell will always be my favorite Tally guy.He showed off like nobody,doing switch back wheelies on a 600 beating all the big bikes.
    R.I.P.
    Josh was another fun guy,went at it like a mad man,and paid his dues like nobody else.Its funny how you never appreciate those times,because you don't know until
    later you are riding amongst greatness.Yates,Ludwig,Lopez,all great Tally talent!

20. hayes131

hayes131 Well-Known Member

Carrie Lurie. I drove there with him. Have him tire warmers as I was moving up to big truck. He didn’t use them and crashed on cold tire on out lap. Miss that guy. Hardest thing ever returning his stuff to his father and trying to explain it. Sometimes this sport is rough. Overall, I love it though!