1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT, what now?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Orvis, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I didn't find another suitable thread to talk about this in so I decided to crank up a new one. I read the linked article and realized that the subject might have more of an effect on each of our lives than we realized. Any of you that are gay might want to add your thoughts about it if you want to and, for that matter, anyone might want to broach the subject. It appears that we've entered into a new era of American life that is here to stay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/us/scotus-same-sex-marriage-gay-culture.html?_r=0

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I don't get it?

They get more equal rights but still wants more special treatment or something? Sounds like a feminist's mentality. If I'm to be honest the overall sentiment of that article is stupid. Isn't that what you want? To be treated just the same as heterosexuals. No better, no worse.

I hope that this isn't the overall sentiment of the gay community. It's literally what happened with women's lib. They got their equality but still have an entitled/victim's mentality.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  3. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

yes and yes.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Be careful what you ask for.

5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

No and No.

I have been discussing this with friends on the book of faces since Friday.

As we become more assimilated, we become more mundane and boring. The edge is off the fablousness. Its impossible to be the outsider when you have been assimilated.

As I write this, there is a Pride Flag (the rainbow one - no stars) flying from the front of my house. There are about 8 teenaged boys from my very Roman Catholic and Irish neighborhood, mostly shirtless because of the rain, playing baseball in the back yard, tearing the crap out of the green patch of weeds I call a lawn.

They all walked past the flag to get into my back yard. They are all old enough to know what it symbolizes.

It's nice not to have to worry about spray painted slurs on the house and garage, or a brick through the front window, but with assimilation, comes the mundane and boring life.

It is possible to enjoy the freedom, while at the same time mourning the loss of shared struggle and community that comes from that struggle.

Exactly.

6. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

human nature to enjoy the struggle...it adds value to your life...gives it "meaning". makes you larger than life... helps you forget what life is really about.

7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

So you do understand what the article is about? I can actually understand it and I do actually have some empathy. I may not like the thought of that way of life but I do understand. :up:

8. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

this is a very good post.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

"Jimmy....have you ever been in a, in a Turkish prison?"

12. beac83

The recent marriage ruling is not an end point.

In 29 of these United States and in all of our Territories you can still be fired, denied a hotel room, service at a restaurant, credit, health care, employment and more merely for being perceived as LGBT. 35 states if you are transgender. You can still be forced into soul destroying "reparative" or "conversion" therapy in more than 45 states.

Full equal treatment under the law in the US, (much less around the world) has not yet been achieved. The work continues.

13. beac83

I think I get what you are driving at. With all change there is both a gain and a loss. The rate of change has been great lately, so has the rate of loss. Perhaps not as great as when I was burying 3 or more friends/acquaintances/co-workers a week (back in the 80's and 90's) but still, rapid change is hard to absorb for everyone, whether you see it as positive or negative.

14. In Your Corner

Point me to some info on reparative therapy, not familiar with what you're talking about.

15. beac83

Do a google search on the JONAH case in NJ.

Reparative or conversion therapy tries to make you straight. Parents force their kids into it. A judge can order it if the state is your guardian, or you can be convinced to try it if you are just coming to grips with your sexuality and are in conflict with what you are verses what you have been taught to expect.

16. In Your Corner

Are you sure they are wrong? How do you reconcile the fact that your brain wants to engage in sexual behaviour that your body is obviously not created for?
    Regardless of where you are now and how you got there, can you say for sure that someone with abnormal sexual urges cannot and/or should not receive therapy to address that?
    I'm not being snide or judgemental here, but have you considered that "wrong thinking" could be turned around as concerns attraction to the same sex in young people who are not fully developed yet, and that they may be better off as a result?

17. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Life without agenda.

18. beac83

I know you are trolling, but:

My body seems to be perfectly set up for the type of sex I have. I haven't run into any problems in the last 35 or so years, and don't expect any to come up anytime soon. [Your question makes me wonder what you think I do in bed? You must have great fantasies.]

My urges are completely normal for me. YMMV

I would only need therapy if I were not comfortable with myself, or otherwise not able to cope with daily life. In any case, that therapy should be focused on attaining that comfort, not fraudulently claiming to be capable of changing a fundamental part of my being.

You (and everyone) is best off being the person they were created to be. It is an abomination that some other person, not the creator should pretend to determine what that is or should be.

19. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Wow.

Edit: I still can't figure out why the T is part of that acronym. What does being attracted to the same sex have to do with feeling like you are a different sex than you were born? I have nothing against any of them, I just don't get what they have to do with each other.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  20. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Not judging and I dont care what two consenting adults do but at the basic level werent we essentially created to reproduce?