1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT, what now?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Orvis, Jun 28, 2015.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Tell that to Michael Jackson. Well you know, when he was still around that is.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Yes Mike, dogs think I'm sexy and just can't resist giving my leg a good rogering. :rolleyes:

Good thing humans aren't animals, otherwise your statement may reek of myopic stupidity.

3. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

:stupid:

4. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

[​IMG]

5. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

I'm a labor and employment attorney, and I struggle with this statement. I haven't thought about it too much, but perhaps someone who has could enlighten me. At what point is the right to make certain private decisions (employment, service, hotel room) overcome by a minority's push for equal treatment? What if all red heads get together and push their agenda as a minority so to keep equal treatment based on hair color? I get that we should make our employment (service, etc..) decision based on the ability to perform the job, but how far should the government intervene as opposed to consumers/employees intervening with their actions (quitting, not purchasing, etc.)?

Again, don't take my statements as choosing a side. I'm too busy with surviving my day/putting out fires to focus on much more of a big picture at this point.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Last Halloween party?

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

So, you think your dog has thought processes just like a human?
    You think your dog is considering the meaning of life while licking it's ass?

8. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I don't think you have thought processes just like a human. :rolleyes:

But you just keep on with the dumb, and wear that dunce cap with pride. :clap:

10. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Probably lack of lubrication.

I still can't figure out how it doesn't make sense in response to a "humans weren't made to do that" Argument...

There is a lot of stuff we do that isn't typical of the rest of the planet's inhabitants...like plastic surgery, strapping thin planks to our feet and riding down a mountain, flying around in a tube at high altitudes, Road racing...We weren't born with any of that, it isn't natural...

A beej shared by two consenting adults, should not be of high concern to anyone.

Very little about modern humans is "natural".

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Where did the "white racists" that you brought into this discussion come from? Are you going to blame this on bipolarity as well? It's getting quite convenient.

And just out of curiosity, since we obviously have very different mileage, is this whole thing a random rant brought about by the thread's topic, or did I miss a homophobe being called gay in this thread?

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Two things, of which the first concerns a species of primates called Bonobos. Their sex lives are a hoot at worst and pure heaven at best. The females will gladly screw the ears off any male just for the pure-dee fun of it even though she is not in heat and the males will engage in stroking their own mule, casual sex with another male, or sex with many females at the drop of a banana.

I mentioned them just because they are my frigging heroes.:)

Two, one of the aspects of the article that interests me is what some members of the gay community are going to do now that their goal has been reached. It appears that many of that community were enjoying the battle as much as anything else, soooo, now that it's over, do they not have as much enthusiasm for life?

It's kind of like winning a long race and when the winner rides back into the pits everyone else has gone home. What a letdown.

13. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Have you ever read the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

It outlawed discrimination in employment, credit, public accommodation, and health care if that discrimination was based on race, sex, or marital status.

The ENDA sitting in Congress would do the same for Lesbians, Gay men, and transgender people. Only without the quotas and affirmative action, and with exemptions for religious institutions where it conflicts with their sect's beliefs.

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:

15. ianjoub

ianjoub Well-Known Member

16. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

I've read it a time or two. I am thinking bigger picture - and not just for the current group seeking protection. Maybe rephrase - what must a minority group prove to be entitled to such protections? Everyone is part of a minority in one shape or another. Does that mean we should protect every minority status from adverse employment decisions? Must we prove a disproportionate impact via data to be entitled to such protection, or is it simply that the squeaky wheel gets the grease?

You can make an employment decision on any factor, so long as it is not protected by law. We all could share a horror story about someone being terminated/demoted/overlooked for promotion because of ______, which likely was unfair but not illegal. We all know which "classifications" have, historically, been protected by law. But who decides what "classifications" must be protected?

17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

There is no chance that this would open the door to multitudinous litigation as to where to draw the line on religious exemptions, is there? Seriously, you have your nationwide gay marriage. Please take the high road and leave the Christian bakery,et al, alone. If you push too hard, a negative backlash is inevitable. Does that serve your cause?

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But the Civil Rights act doesn't cover hair color or any of thousands of other things people use for discrimination...

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Sounds like a typical liberal arts college :cool:

20. ianjoub

ianjoub Well-Known Member

Good thing it only protects minorities. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to fire people for being stupid.