1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM Duke 790 and WERA

Discussion in 'General' started by gcally, Dec 14, 2018.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

the answer is no.

2. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Way I've been reading it, even on this very site. It's more a matter of KTM not offering it to MotoAmerica to homologate it for Twins Class.

3. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Or the test they did at the end of the year showed that it would be a class killer since it is way too dominant out of the box.

4. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

KTM didn't want to have to accept their bike to be "de-tuned" to put it into the class.

Kurlon likes this.
  5. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Can’t really blame them on that. Wouldn’t be very good marketing on their part

r6boater likes this.
  6. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

The rules say water cooled engines up to 750cc and then they have to be homologated. So MA has defined LW Twin as less than 750cc as far as I can tell.

23103a likes this.
  7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Here's a shocker.. If you're not fast enough to win on the Yamaha, Suzuki, or Kawi, you're not going to win on the KTM..

rcarson15 likes this.
  8. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

you don't think Bays on a KTM could beat Parrish on a Suzuki and vice versa? Obviously it would matter which track we're talking about, but ~equal talent for ~equal talent, I'd say the KTM is a big step up on the SV.

9. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I call shenanigans! :blart: You have to be extra fast to win on the Kawi. :crackup:

10. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think what he is saying is that I couldn't win on my sv and I still couldn't win on a KTM. That is a true statement.

11. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Dunno, looking at numbers it has the most potential of the bikes that are legal for the class...

Not too pick on Bays but IIRC he wasnt a whole lot faster on the R6 than the SV... and it isnt a whole lot more capable than the 790.

BigBird likes this.
  12. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Not calling anyone out. Just saying if you raise the spec of the bike, you'll have to race against that bike.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Heavyweight Twins with us. I'd do a MW Twins but then it'd be 848's and such and no one would run the 790 anyway.

14. Donnstar

Donnstar Well-Known Member

I really wanted to buy one of these. They should be allowed in CCS lightweight to run against the 1100 Ducs. But CCS doesn't exist down south anymore so why bother? Waiting for the Aprilia 660!

15. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Saw one yesterday at the dealer parked next to a 690. The Aprilia can’t come out soon enough. That 790 is fugly! Plus the exaggerated airbox extensions seem to indicate that a custom tank or risers will be necessary in order to install clip ons.

16. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

unbolt them if they can be, or cut them off. similar to the fz07 fake air scoops

17. Donnstar

Donnstar Well-Known Member

The tank would have to go as well, but then you're modified a bike outside of spec. This motor in the Kramar frame will be an amazing bike. But a bike without a class.

18. SpeedR73

SpeedR73 Active Member

Ok, so now almost a year later and the Krämer GP2 790 is coming out for 2020. MA is saying they’ll allow the KTM 790? But for WERA it is still only gonna be allowed in HWT? On paper that Krämer 790 looks beastly. I guess they’re only racing in the Euro scene?

19. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I think the more important question is a KTM 790 worth 23 grand?!

20. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

it's not going to be allowed in MA twins cup.