1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM Duke 790 and WERA

Discussion in 'General' started by gcally, Dec 14, 2018.

1. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I was at my local KTM dealer and they had a Duke 790 on the floor. It was really cool and same physical size as SV/FZ.

So does the KTM 790 have a place in WERA where it would be competitive?
    Maybe LWT Superbike in Superstock trim?

2. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Finish your first ktm before you buy another!

My farm 11::00 on Sunday, let me know if you’re coming.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Makes about as much sense as letting a GSXR750 into CSB

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Doesnt belong in a LW class period. C SS or C SB or HW twins.

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Maybe for CCS with their screwball LW rules.

6. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

It is still up in the air if the KTM will be in LW SS on CCS

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

2019 rulebook has been posted, and people are claiming to have talked with CCS and gotten confirmation that it's a go. I'm going to start my proposal to get the Duc 749R allowed in next.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

That’s ridiculous. It should stop at the Ducati 748..... :crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

They're probably waffling between calling it LW or ULW

Wheelies4Jesus and JBall like this.
  10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Vintage Classic 500...

11. Monsterdood

Seriously though, if enough bikes show up, most organizers will consider a class... maybe MW Twins? WSMC used to run Battle of the Twins: LW, MW, and HW. But to put one or two bikes that outclass everyone else just disincentivizes the others to show up. Race up a class until you have numbers. Plus no 100+HP superstock rider would feel great about beating a bunch of 75-80hp 650’s. Or at least they shouldn’t.

Phl218 and 5axis like this.
  12. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

You'd think that is true, but plenty of SV650 riders keep showing up to get their asses kicked by the "lightweight" Ducatis and Pierobons in CCS and they're still complaining about it as far as I know. I don't get why the SV riders keep putting up with such a disadvantage for so many years, but they do. "Thankyou sir, may I have another?"

13. Monsterdood

Yeah, I think disincentive is the right word. Racers don’t just stop when a faster bike enters a class, and many relish beating people that have much more power, but I don’t think it helps drive WERA revenue. Maybe KTM revenue with some new bikes though. The best thing would be if KTM works with the clubs to sponsor a new class. Maybe a MW twin cup. All the 650-700 can race up if they want like they do for HW today. One other thought, the more we align to MA class structure the more likely we’ll encourage people to join the fray in both WERA and MA.

14. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Much like 565s or big Ducati’s, they’re generally made fun of because they probably couldn’t win on an equal bike and I think a lot of people are content with thinking that if they lose.

If they beat the big bikes, it’s that much more satisfying

BigBird and t11ravis like this.
  15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Or some 565s turn out to be 580s (or 600s) because the builder won't let tech measure it.

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Technically, SVs running LW are running up a class, their native class is ULSB.

17. Hush up you. Run it in twins.... with 12mm throttle bodies :)

18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think it has a WERA class for the KTM. HWT! I don't think there has to be a class that every bike made can be the best bike for. If you want to ride the KTM then go ahead. If you want to win, you had better be very very good or get a different bike, like a Panigale.

19. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Minis, ULWT, LW, MW, HW, all SB rules. 2 races each per day.

20. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Has MotoAmerica made any decisions if they are going to let it in the Twins Cup?