1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just sold my TL

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I'm not real sure I'd take $6500 for mine...Landers got $7K for one a couple years ago..it was yellow and NICE.

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I’m not saying it’s not ‘worth’ it. I just have a hard time believing someone is going to shell out 6k for a TL, especially an S, even with the wheels and suspension.

G2G and ducnut like this.
  3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t let either of mine go for less than 5K each.... Ok... $9,999 for the pair...:crackup:

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

$4995

5. ThumpinA2Z

ThumpinA2Z Active Member

Gona try and get mine to the dyno this week to tune it and see exactly what this motor is putting out.
    Took it for a bit of a spin around the complex few days ago and it feels like a beast :D

TLR67 likes this.
  6. ThumpinA2Z

ThumpinA2Z Active Member

So got the bike to the dyno the other day just to find out that they neither have the cord nor the program for the old PCII.
    What a waste of time!
    Here, out west, and Alberta in particular there's squat when it comes to sport/racebike tuning and such. Hard to find a dyno little along a good tuner.
    These guys just got one and was my only option or otherwise drive 600 miles each way to BC and have the original tuner do it...not an option right now lol.

This is the last dyno run from the final tuning several years ago. few races after that it got put aside do to owner/racers serious street crash on his zx10 with a long recovery and never getting back to racing.....sat for several years before I got it.
    Basically the motor has 2mm over hc pistons, web cams, adjustable cam gears, lots of head work 50/50 balancing, custom 2-1-2 exhaust and a yosh programed ecu .
    After talking to the tuner and builder (different person) of the motor I was told that lots of time was spent on dialing it in for midrange and top end trying to achieve as flat a torque curve as possible...confirming everything the seller told me.

tlr dyno 2 april 2008.jpg

This is the graph from few days ago. Difference now is M4 2-2 full exhaust and stock ecu with an untuned PCII installed from different bike.
    He did adjust it a bit manually and got some gains as seen in the graph.
    Shit didn't even have a print out had to take the pic of the screen lol.

thumbnail_IMG_20190914_131722.jpg

Tuner says it has potential for a decent increase after custom map. Based on the original map it should.
    How does this compare to some of your guys done motors? Any dyno figures?

I'm not sure what to do with this thing! Been over 3 years now and still I see no realistic use (do to circumstances) of the bike in the near future. It along with couple of other things is costing me good deal of money for storage every month. I should sell it but don't have the heart and am aimlessly hanging on to it. :(
    This thread is one reason lol..

7. Steve H

Steve H Well-Known Member

There is not ever any realistic use for a TLR.

You just have to like messing with and improving motorcycles - plus be old and / or slow enough to not care that you will never keep up with anything modern.

I did basically the same mods as your bike has. Have never bothered to dyno it - but would guess around 135 hp based on how it keeps up with other bikes.

If I was after more hp, probably the next step would be a can of MR12 fuel.

Your TLR v’s Ducati 999 is a perfect example why not to fixate on peak hp. I am normally at about 6500 when I accelerate out of a curve. What matters is the average power from there to change up at around 10,000.

The 999 is not even close in this comparison- despite having a higher peak hp.

The thing about the TLR is that there is so much other stuff you can do to make it faster and more fun to ride

Acceleration is related to both hp and weight. The TLR is more than a bit porky - and taking about 40 kilograms off mine made more of a difference than the engine mods.

That plus lighter wheels and a better setup so that now I can actually get it to turn.

Etc...

8. ThumpinA2Z

ThumpinA2Z Active Member

Lol, realistic meaning that It wont be used at all!
    I hardly street ride any more. Between my work which is always in summer/fall (summer too short here anyway) and my travels don't look like it will see any sort of tarmac for long time. Than at some point in 4-6 years I plan on retiring off this continent anyway.
    I think I must bite the bullet and pass it on either as a whole or in parts :(
    I'm still thinking but most likely will post some adds soon.

9. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Almost pulled the trigger on Andy's "fresh rebuild" TL motor - but didn't commit, and you swooped in. Still kicking myself for that one.
    I'd buy it tomorrow for his asking price, if you could get it to Abbotsford. LOL.

That race motor (and Doug's tuning comments/info) have been the target for a future TLS build I've been planning for a while. May actually pull it off this winter...

10. ThumpinA2Z

ThumpinA2Z Active Member

Well that motor is just sitting and collecting dust. I've decided to part with pretty much all things left in my storage so shoot me a pm and we can work out a deal on either motor if you want. I'll put an add in in next day or two in couple of forums and link it here...if it's allowed lol..

11. ThumpinA2Z

ThumpinA2Z Active Member

12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Marc will be along shortly I’m sure..

:D

418 and TLR67 like this.
  13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Man..... just man.... I would be all over everything but I am out...

14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Agreed. Three motors, proper rear suspension and link, whole bike, Sharskinz... $6500. Good deal.

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Got any extra rear masters?

16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Oh and dibs on that stock motor for $00 Lol

17. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

As far as dyno graphs go;
    I have s K5 GSXR- Stock, dynoed on pump + 10% ethanol gas; mailed off ECU flash, a yoshi muffler and K&N air filter. My tappets need adjustment- makes some chatter, but runs well:
    [​IMG]

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

:DYou don’t need to be in this thread....

19. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Well, excuse me

20. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Tell you what Marc, I’ll pick this package up and GIVE you that motor if you cover the fuel from Southern Illinois to Edmonton and back.:D

TLR67 likes this.