1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just sold my TL

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Apr 29, 2015.

1. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Oh and you em effers need to quit bumping this thread, I get sad all over again about selling mine. Ima have @Metalhead come all up in here and cut someone if y’all don’t stop. The end. :mad:

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Screw that MF’r.

Clapped out and BNG Uber Alles!

3. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Let me know when and where. Ain't cut a mofo in a minute.

fastedyamaha likes this.
  4. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Fixerated.

britx303 likes this.
  5. ThumpinA2Z

ThumpinA2Z Active Member

Hey Britt, here's the little issue with that LE setup. (PM'd you)
    There was a spacer between the clevis mount and the frame. He removed it and was able to mount the shock but barely and still looks like this on bottom mount.
    Is the spacer from factory or just a ride height add on...I cant remember any more lol.

thumbnail_Resized_20191029_185233.jpg thumbnail_Resized_20191029_185742.jpg

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

That looks correct... if you got the right bearings pressed in all is well...

7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Looks like mine..they are exact dimensionally to the Original LE..(Per Ed Sorbo)..I used my Original as the model for them..so far this is the first complaint for non fitment out of the batch I ran..My original is hanging on the wall in my shop it he wants to trade..

(I am almost sure I may have relieved mine slightly, on the inside of that part with a carbide burr..) (I'll look and report back).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Mine has about 4-6mm of spacer in the top clevis... and the link is NOT ground out,
    When It comes apart again for service, I will relieve it some on the Link and the shock.. as you can see in the photo the shock is hard against the Link sitting static..

IF * I were ever to make these again I would add that clearance into the program/print.. *(I won't)*

I went and looked at my Original LE Link that was the one I ground out for it to clear.. ES did not want to make that "change" per a review of my notes for making the links for him..

03RumbleBee likes this.
  9. ThumpinA2Z

ThumpinA2Z Active Member

Ok thanks for the reply guys!

Looks like it will be ok without a spacer although having some clearance would be better. Definitely wont be able to use any sort of spacer for any more ride height.

Britt would you see any problem in machining a mill or two of the top to get that clearance?
    Thanks for the offer to trade but I don't think it be any need for that. We'll just machine a bit of the top if there's no problem with that..
    Thanks
    V

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

No, I don't see any issue with it and that will be exactly what happens to mine when it comes off again..if you look closely you can see the shock has a small dent in the edges where it is hitting...I will give it a small relief cut also..just for extra assurance.

The whole plan was for LE to take all of them not for me to sell any of them off at all...Miscommunication is a bitch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  11. ThumpinA2Z

ThumpinA2Z Active Member

Ok, got ya thanks!

Yea 4-5 years ago I wanted a LE conversion for an S so I called LE (Ed Sorbo) but he had no clue what was involved in either S or R conversion. I tried to help him out with the info between the two but after few conversations I stopped and never bothered again...I'm sure there's no explanation necessary lol.
    Penske at the time was reluctant to sell directly do to the deal they had with Jim but when I got around to the R couple of years back they built one for me and I got the arm from you.

I dealt with Jim from 99 (done at least 8-9 set-ups for me) till 2009 when did the last job for me there few years before he passed away. I'd ship him the forks and he'd return them with a Penske shock to match and regardless if it was for track bike, street bike (sport or dual sport) shit was always right on the money!
    To me LE is no longer LE and don't even like to refer to it by name any more..I assume your Miscommunication wasn't with Jim!

One more thing you guys might be able to help me with.

TLR forks are a bit wider than standard. Anyone knows by how much?
    Using 07 gsxr 750 forks and wheel in TLR triple clamps so when the axle is snug the wheel is pulled off center to the right by what (by eye) looks to be 5-6mmm.
    Need to get a new longer spacer made up to correct it.
    Sold the bike to a decent guy and a big enthusiast (thankfully) so helping to sort these few things out for him.

Thanks again..

12. Steve H

Steve H Well-Known Member

I have a TLR triple clamp on the shelf which I will measure tomorrow...

The GSXR triple clamp has a different offset and is a whole lot lighter. I think something like 1.8 kg less. Crazy Mofo posted about the dimension difference earlier in this thread. I recommend getting one if you can.

I had to spacer my front wheel with the GSXR Triple clamp, forks and axle. But it is a Magnesium after market wheel and maybe not quite the same as stock.

13. Notfast

Notfast Well-Known Member

This might help. Also, Stu made or makes fitting kits for GSXR forks. Might get a hold of him on TLP or TLZ.

https://www.tlzone.net/forums/suzuki-tl1000r-tl1000s-forum/95228-definative-fork-swap-chart-21.html

14. ThumpinA2Z

ThumpinA2Z Active Member

Thanks Steve...It'll be up to the new owner if he wants to go to gsxr triples. Convenience of TLR's is the steering stops. Than again that's not a huge deal either.

Notfast thanks for that link. It'll depend on which way the new owner decides to go.

15. Steve H

Steve H Well-Known Member

164 mm - inside edge to inside edge of the upper clamp.

And fork tube measured 49.8 mm at the top.... so I guess it is really 50.0 mm a has a slight relief at the top to make installation easier...

That would put the fork centers 214 mm apart

16. ThumpinA2Z

ThumpinA2Z Active Member

Thanks again!

17. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

19. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

20. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member