1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just sold my TL

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Apr 29, 2015.

1. ThumpinA2Z

ThumpinA2Z Active Member

Nice old gixxer Steve!
    In the I4 world nothn's got character or sound like a done up oil cooled gixxer motor!
    NZ...love to tour that Island one day myself!

2. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Me too Marc. Let's go!!

TLR67 likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm working on getting a picture of a TL that I'm pretty sure will be faster than even what Yosh built... :D

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Work faster...

:D

5. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Like a drag bike TL?? In a 1/4 mile faster?? I know of one.. :)

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's not done yet and will stay under wraps until that point but I tried :D The spy shots are pretty damned amazing.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope. Pure roadracing Superbike TL.

JTRC51 likes this.
  8. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

That's not a fair comparison since Yosh had to follow the class rules at the time. Imagine if they didn't have to follow those rules what they could have turned out?

9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Weren't the Vesrah TLs pretty bad ass?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed, only brought the Yosh bikes up as they were the most superbikey most old farts have ever seen with regard to a TL.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They were actually kept pretty mild for the most part since the Suzuki money was in Superstock classes.

RRP likes this.
  12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Is this the one Mark was working on? Or is Mr. Lynn up to something with his?

13. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I know they had rules, but they were pretty open rules, at least as far as today's standards weren't they? The race kit replaced the larger portion of the engine and drivetrain (pistons, heads, cams, rods, throttle bodies, electronics, etc., even a dry clutch). Short of a displacement change, I'd be very intrigued what else could have been done to that engine that Yoshi didn't do. Excited to find out!

TLR67 likes this.
  14. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

It's not so much the engine but chassis wise with a mandatory weight limit. Anyone can build a grenade for an engine but even Yosh doesn't have the resources to do that. There is always a trade off between huge hp numbers and engine longevity. You can have a huge hp engine but if it blows up every time on lap 5 of 25 then it's a worthless engine and not worth the money spent to build it. You still also have to be able to put that hp to the ground, and the only traction control available was in the rider's right wrists.

15. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

To add on to this... we found that 150 (ish) was the magic number before stuff started to grenade in glorious fashion. The cylinder walls were thin and it just didn’t make sense to spend the money when it was already outmatched. There are a couple of big bore kits that are supposedly better with improved piston design, race fuel is better, etc.. I would be surprised to see anything much further 160 though.

16. ThumpinA2Z

ThumpinA2Z Active Member

This will be interesting!

17. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

nearly there.. 1147cc Just cams to go then the motor will go in. 4mm bigger bore, 2mm bigger stroke. heads have been altered with the port raised as well.

next is 08 GSXR 1000 clutch assembly conversion
    last will the the ducati 1098 throttle bodies to go on.

fk knows what im going to do with all the grunt it'll have haha!

chassis wise i'll be starting on the swingarm blocks to lengthen it 30mm and will also encorporate 09-16 gsxr 1000 rear brake. also putting in a different "dogbone" link length on the rear suspension to alter it somewhat.

Attached Files:

TLR67 and Banditracer like this.
  18. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

couple pics from the last round we just had at morgan park 2 weeks ago, I was forced to run pirelli's due to a bridgestone shortage, results suffered, the front tyre just inst stiff enough for the fat TLR and my riding style. Best I could manage was a 3rd and 4th overall for the weekend.

Attached Files:

19. ThumpinA2Z

ThumpinA2Z Active Member

You definitely look comfy with that beast!

20. Steve H

Steve H Well-Known Member

Don’t think many people have had much long term success increasing the stroke of TLRs.

But if anyone is going to make it work then I suspect it may well be you.

Good luck and keep on with the updates ...

TLR67 likes this.