1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just going to leave this here

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Bingo.
    Technically the heli would stay and the train would move forward. The pilot will move forward away from the heli and the rear wall will move toward it. Newtons 1st law.
    Of course the air in the car is being shoved forward by the walls of the train so there may be some air resistance acting on the heli but, probably unnoticeable.

Joking that the heli will hit the back wall so back down then forward. The correct joke would be stay down forward ;)

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Nope, nope, nope.

Well, more precisely, it would depend on your point of view.

The helicopter, to an outside observer would remain stationary until it hit the back wall of the train car, at which point it would begin moving forward with the train, and likely fall to the floor and continue moving with the train.

From the viewpoint of a passenger on the train, though, yes, the helicopter would appear to move towards the back wall and fly into it.

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Standing in the same railcar shine a flashlight at the forward wall. Does the train slow down? Light certainly can't speed up....

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

There will be a helicopter flown in my van this afternoon.

Gino230, Steeltoe, HPPT and 4 others like this.
  5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

:DYou want the answer? Put your bike in an enclosed trailer on the kickstand and don't tie it down... Drive to the track and open your door.. Damn this brings back the treadmill nightmares...

Theducatiman likes this.
  6. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Same thing happens in my wife's FJ. She swears there is a leak or something. When I 'splain its the heavier, cold air moving forward because of momentum, she looks at me like I've been dropping acid!
    Kinda dumb, for a smart woman.:D

Phl218 likes this.
  7. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

Look up SmarterEveryDay.

8. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

The heli blades are acting against the air in the car. The air in the car is influenced by the walls in the car.
    If the car moves, the heli moves. (In theory. Air will compress. How much, who knows).

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

That's what I want to see. It's going to move with the air in the van but how much that air moves is the question. Hope we don't put an eye out LOL

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

It goes without saying you will get this on video

V5 Racer likes this.
  11. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Can I change my answer? The blades work well against the air in the vertical axis, ut offer little resistance in the horiz. axis. The heli will probably smack the back wall. If the train were to move up and down however, the heli would move with the car.

12. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Yep, that's him!

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pure guess - It'll move back some but not far enough to smack into the wall once all the air around it catches up to the train moving. But I do wanna see a video of it :D

14. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Back of the car will hit the heli...the heli won't hit the back of the car.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good point.

16. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

What if the doors and windows are open? ;-)

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

What if the helicopter was bolted to the floor, with a Saturn V rocket strapped to it?

Sabre699 likes this.
  18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Depends on bolt grade.

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

Ah, but the balloon is connected to the train. The air in the train will have an effect on the balloon as the train moves. Now if they created a vacuum in the train and removed all of the air there would be no "connection" and no effect.

20. After I made that post, I started to say "it depends on your perspective".

If you are sitting on the train, the helicopter will move. If you are standing on the outside, looking through the windows, the helicopter will not move (at least not until it smacks against the back wall of the train :D).