1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just going to leave this here

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Is the car moving with the same vector as it was just prior to the helicopter taking flight

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Momentum...the conservation of....Better read up on your Newton. Once the drone has a forward velocity it will maintain that velocity unless a force acts upon it. Assuming the rail car and the air in it maintain the constant velocity they had when the drone was launched, the drone will stay in position. Now the rail car is a different question. It has drag on its exterior and friction in its wheels so it needs an engine to help it maintain its velocity.

My analogy...Say you're sitting comfortably in you GT350R (hats off to Bocarp) going 100 mph without your seat belt on and you hit the proverbial brick wall. Do you go through the wind shield? Looks like Knocher beat me to it....:bow:

3. That last statement is why I asked about the windows. I was working under the assumption that there wasn't stable air, and that the helicopter was still "connected" to the Earth (for lack of a better description).

If it is 100% sealed (as if it would be inside an airplane), that changes everything.

4. 3twins

3twins Well-Known Member

If I step into an elevator at the 5th floor of a ten story building with the intent of being transported to the 1st floor and fart just as it begins to move, does the stench reach the other occupants nostrils faster, slower, or about the same as a stationary car?

renegade17 likes this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

so what about a box truck that is moving at a constant speed:
    the RC helicopter in it takes off. will the box truck become lighter ?

btw i know the answer, just throwing it out there.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

acceleration. if the helicopter pilot in the train would take the acceleration of the train into consideration and would skillfully master it to move the helicopter forward at the same rate of accel. like the train by moving air laterally and not relying on friction and weight of the helicopter rails towards the train floor, i think it could be accomplished. once at speed it doesn't matter any more.

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The only changing factor is the helicopter. That's implied.

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Did you suffer the agony of defeat while Broome silently competed against you and won?

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. Knotcher

The windows closed doesn't change much at all.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just like that Ski Jumper on Wide World of Sports.......:beer:

Sabre699 likes this.
  11. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

This really depends on who or what is controlling the helicopter and what the frame of reference is.

If there is a person piloting from the outside, then they would lose their frame of reference after the train moves 20 feet and the copter will crash because they can’t see the helicopter to keep it stable.

If the person controlling the copter is in the train car then they will move with their frame of reference and will easily keep the helicopter in a stable position as the train begins to move.

If the copter is on autopilot, then the accelerometers will not know when the train starts moving and they will keep it in a fixed geographical position until the back wall of the train car hits it and it crashes.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Knotcher

That isn't really a thing. There is a gravitation force that pulls everything directly towards the center of the earth (generally speaking). There is a frictional coefficient for things that are touching each other. Your shoe has a frictional force with the pavement which has it with the gravel underneath which has it with the dirt, etc. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/frict2.html

The copter has lift that keeps it off the ground, but the only other force in this scenario is the air. The copter has a coefficient of drag and a frontal area (similar to friction) for a given vector, in the train case it is towards the back wall. When the train moves, the air moves (while compressing slightly against the back wall. See Newton 1). This would move the copter very slightly, probably imperceptibly to a human. If a window at the front were open, it would similarly be an imperceptible movement with the train before hitting the wall. If a large window aft of the copter were open, I would expect it to reduce the imperceptible forward motion of the copter as the air would not move forward as much, due to its own inertia (newton 1 again).

Make sense?

13. Knotcher

Lets make the copter a beam of light and grab a few more gears on this shitshow.

How massive is this train?

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Dolts. What will happen to the helicopter is the same thing that would happen to you if your feet weren't planted on the floor of the train when it begins to move.

15. Knotcher

I'm sure those who did not have the good fortune of genetics and or education you had are enlightened by this. Very helpful.

(I'm just hoping for my first carlton map)

16. Ah.

I've only been on a train 4 times. My first 3 hitches offshore I had to take a train from TN to LA to work because my POS car was tore up and I couldn't afford to fix it.

Then about 5 years ago I had to take a 4hr train ride from Alexandria to Cairo.

That obviously doesn't count airport Terminal trains.

17. When I compete with Marc, it is never silent. :D

18. Yes. I understand that (I knew "connected wasn't the right word, that's why I said for lack of a better description).

By "connected" (windows open), I meant the pressure inside the train would be equal (relatively) to outside the train.

In thinking of it in terms of hydraulics, the helicopter moving at the same rate as the train is dependent on the air "pressurizing" against the back wall of the train. With the train completely sealed off, the inside of the train becomes a one-atmosphere dome, and the helicopter would go along with the train.

If completely sealed, the chopper would act the same way inside the train that it would out in an open field. The same reason things don't go apeshit inside airplanes, even though we are moving 500mph.

With all the windows open, including the ones in front, the air wouldn't be able to pressurize against the back wall of the train, it would all escape out of the windows. The chopper would be "left behind" because the air is coming in and going out of the train.

In other words, hold a piece of paper up inside the car going down the interstate. With all the windows up, drop it. It will fall straight down (it won't go flying against the back because the sealed car is a one-atmosphere dome). But then roll down all the windows and do it again, different story.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Physics class, Wentworth, 1972, we had to make accelerometers and then we got on a streetcar on Huntington Ave and experimented with them by quickly accelerating and then slamming on the brakes.
    I wonder where I put my notes from that day.

20. Maybe you left them on the horse you rode to school? :D

Steeltoe likes this.