1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Josh Hayes leaving Valvoline?

Discussion in 'General' started by backdraftmoto, Jul 25, 2002.

1. backdraftmoto

backdraftmoto I make Nissan trucks...

Anyone know where Josh Hayes is going when he leaves Valvoilne after VIR? It's sad to read on RRW. I thought they were doing pretty well after Josh came back from having a hand injury early in the season.

2. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

It wasn't the part after his hand surgery that was the problem. It was the trail of destruction leading up to the surgery that was. :eek:

From the sounds of the article (coming to an agreement on ending his contract) Josh will be actively pursuing another ride post haste.

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

If what Tom says is true (which is always a big IF), then does this mean that corporate belt tightening has hit professional roadracing? I'm hearing that Hacking is out at Suzuki due to his trail of destruction. Same with Xaus on the world scene. Heck, I broke a windscreen and my team is grumbling!:rolleyes:

Are the days of "Win it or Bin it" over!?!?!?

4. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Hacking and Zaus have left trails of destruction for a few years and IMO have been given far too many chances for top rides.

Hayes hasn't always been that bad of a crasher however when he does crash they are usually "good" ones. :eek:

Roger Lee Hayden is another person that crashes too damn much. It seemed he was coming out of it but went back to his old ways.

My guess it that Valvoline felt that supporting four riders is too much then Josh and JU weighed their options and decided this was the best path to take... but who really knows. :)

5. actiontek

actiontek Well-Known Member

Good Luck Josh

I think Josh is a very good rider and as fine person. I hope him all the best. One door closes another opens.

6. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Re: Good Luck Josh

I agree and would like to think that opening other doors was part of the decision process. There possibly is still time for Josh to get a good ride for the remainder of the year and silly season. :)

7. RacerGirl117

RacerGirl117 Well-Known Member

Well that sucks!

Maybe I miss the races that he's crashing in, but I haven't seen him crash all that much. It's too bad for both parties, because Josh seems to be a pretty nice guy.

Josh, you could always come ride for us. :D You like FZR's right? :D

8. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

Josh is a great guy. He's just had fairly miserable pro-career to this point because of events beyond his control.

I hope that the "spin" RRW put on his deal is accurate and Josh already has a ride in the works. But if not I can understand JU making that decision.

9. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Hmmph. No bite on the JU bait yet, huh?

Someday ring me if he chimes in. I'm going to get popcorn. :D

10. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

I don't think it has anything to do with corporate belt tightening. It has to do with riders trashing equipment on a regular basis. The goal of every team is to win races and ultimately win championships. You can't do that if the bike and rider are in pieces.

Just look at most professional sports as an example. Head coaches are fired if they don't win a championship in a season or two. People want results. Team owners want results. They hire an established rider with a good track record and expect them to win. If they don't then most of the time they move on.

Hell, look at Honda. Ben won the championship and Eric won 3 races filling in for Miguel and they still let both of them go. It's just like the NFL where franchise players are a thing of the past. It's all about winning and money.

11. r0cketrider

r0cketrider Well-Known Member

And that is the saddest thing of all. :(

12. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Good Luck Josh

He is riding with Hammer until the end of the season (VIR IS the end) :confused:

13. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

Not really, it always has been about winning. That's why it's called racing and not riding around.

14. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

Josh has fallen three times since signing w/ Valvoline. two in preseason and once at Fontana and injuring his hand. Everybody sure is quick to say he is a crasher...maybe some are on the wagon... Josh has had an unfortunate last couble of years that have hidden some great riding ). He had a lot of mechanicals in 2000(he hounded roberts in a lot of the xtreme races only for the bike to break plus the totally unavoidable crash at Daytona on the 600). 2001 he rode well...not quite what I have seen him do before, but not horrible. And that leads us to 2002 were he is now.

Josh started slow with Valvoline in 96/97. Then he started to pick up steam and took off. He definitely hasn't crashed as much as some of the other pros. Unless you are in the inner circle of teams, none of us know why things happen. It is all SPECULATION until said rider/team owner makes a statement.

Some might say my opinion is baised, which isn't exactly true for the fact that I am a big Team Valvoline fan. I have watched them give guys rides that deserved them. Just take the press release as it says and don't read into it.

"That's all I have to say about that" (in my best forrest gump voice)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2002
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I gotta agree. Josh has crashed enough for me to give him some grief about it but based on other riders and past history watching JU not enough for JU to fire him. I'd guess this was Josh's call, not John's or totally mutual.

16. GPgofast

GPgofast Well-Known Member

I don't know enought about Josh, but Xaus is the only professional rider that I have EVER heard of crashing TWICE on a warm up lap!!! And Hacking is MUCH tougher than anyone racing today. He has to crash at least 2 bikes a weekend and that has got to really add up. Hacking will either win it or bin it, it just really amazes me that he can come back wreck after wreck and still twist that throttle open.

17. john ross

john ross Well-Known Member

da da

dada ullrich has to keep a spot open fo the slow son ullrich..:Puke:

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Re: da da

It's Ulrich, slapass. :rolleyes:
    Funny that "slow son ullrich" co-rode to the WERA endurance championship last year. He also got a win at Laguna last year in 750ss, finishing 5th in the points at the end of the year. Slow alright. :rolleyes:

19. MikeM

MikeM Well-Known Member

My boys will always have a Josh Hayes poster in there room. GOOD LUCK. We'll come harass ya soon...
    Keep showin' them what class is.

20. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

If crashing is the issue here, does it mean that I should pull my own contract?