1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jorge Lorenzo Doesn't Wear An Airbag Suit - Melka, get in here....

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Some racers just stick with what they know and only change when there is absolutely no other choice.

and some are just idiots. I hated back protectors and refused to wear them until I wasn't given a choice (this was back in 1892 and I also refused to believe the earth was round and to get a polio shot. . we liked polio, our fathers had it and our fathers fathers had it and . . .).

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

back protector is $100, air suit is a few thousand, more if ya need custom fit.. nobody will dispute you will be better off with one, but it's a fair financial commitment

3. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I don't know. Pedrosa, airbag, broken clavicle. Lorenzo, no airbag, intact-ish clavicles in similar crashes.
    I'm curious how the airbags could potentially contribute to ancillary injuries like automotive air bags and small passengers.

4. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Each crash is different and nothing will protect you fully but Draik had (another :() "great" experience with his SaferMoto.com vest this past week. His helmet got slammed and his should driven in the the track, and part of his middle finger is gone, but despite break-dancing his way down the track he walked away with no broken bones.

At a fraction of the cost of a custom suit, I think they're worth every penny.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap but even if it was free some riders are idiots. I got free shit back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and dirt was a new invention but I didn't use some of the shit.

6. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

The crashes at Motegi? I thought they were different in that Pedrosa hit face down moving forward wheee Lorenzo landed on his back.

For them causing injuries themselves. That's an interesting question. I wonder if they are made where it inflates upward vs expanding in all directions.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Everyone is obsessing over clavicles but is that what the airbag suits were originally designed to protect? For some reason, I seem to remember talk about reducing the risk of spinal injuries when I first heard of those suits. Did I totally imagine that?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pretty sure that was the intent - at least that's how I remember it too.

So an interesting tidbit - evidently A-star doesn't like the puffy shoulders thing, they feel it helps deliver too much force to the head resulting in compression fractures to the spine.

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

there is something to this.. wider shoulder area, means in some crashes (one could argue), there a further distance the head travels before it hit's the ground. More spine articulation, AND , possibly more speed at which the head hit's the ground. I don't have any study on this, just something i had seen brought up by those that were looking at it. Still, it must be a good thing, if mobile clinica and MotoGp agree to have it mandated next year ?

if you can afford it.. get it.

backbone likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm thinking it's a case of coming down on say your right shoulder/head even at a relatively shallow angle if you head can't flex sideways to the left because the airbag is keeping it straight you'll transfer the impact to the helmet down your spine.

11. You always like to exaggerate the costs in an effort to somehow rationalize your point. They aren't a few thousand, they are about $2300 IIRC, and few people actually NEED a custom made suit.

Regardless, the price is considered an investment because of the money they can save you, not to mention pain. I could have bought and race prepped 3 Panigale's for what I lost in wages and bills after my collarbone fractures. The suit is cheap protection.

The suit is much better quality and cheaper than some suits that don't even have airbags.

I get you are supported by a different suit manufacturer. I totally get that. But trying to discredit the DAir based upon cost when we are talking about a very expensive, and unnecessary hobby, is kinda silly.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    helicopter99 likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dude. We had people bitching about $30 for rider crew tickets and $100 per class for entry fees even though the races were longer as was the event offering more practice time.

13. That might be a concern with the vests people wear, but not the DAir. The DAir doesn't swell up around the neck like the vests do. You can still pivot/turn your head even with the airbag fully inflated.

It blows up around the upper arms, ends and around the top of the shoulders, upper back and upper chest.

You might have been talking about the vests. I just wanted to clarify the difference for others that might read this.

The vests and DAir work differently and have different purposes. The vests stabilize the head to prevent neck injuries. The DAir protects the shoulders, upper chest and back, and collarbones. They inflate in drastically different ways/areas, so much so that somebody could wear both and wouldn't have very much "double coverage", if any at all.

14. I know right. Which is even more silly. :rolleyes:

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I see the same shit with my daughter and lacrosse sticks. My kid has a few and the newest one was like giving a PN a Sutter MMX500, minus the dismemberment and risk of death. Can she use it 100%? Not yet but it's showing signs of helping her move up.

There's others out there with shit that the companies that made them should be embarrassed to have sold and they fine with it (even if it holds them back).

What am I saying? If you can afford it and want to, do it. Or maybe I forgot, who knows?

16. caferace

caferace No.

Alright, I'll bite. What's the functional difference between a "good" lacrosse stick and a "great" lacrosse stick? Honest Q.

-jim

17. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

The vest vary in design and style. While there are some called the "neck vest" that only stabilize the head/neck; the "racer vest" Draik wears also has coverage around his chest and flanks. Shoot, his first vest did all that and even had a portion that flipped down to cover his tailbone. I encourage you and anyone to look into them at SaferMoto.com and that's not just a sponsorship plug... I believe in them regardless.

Ducti89 and Gorilla George like this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

About everything really. Head shape, material, stringing, handle, handle shape, materials used in the handle. Then there's the intended use and player position.

Really, it's like telling an outsider what the difference between an Arai Corsair V RC and a HJC CS-R2. Both look exactly the same from 5 feet away and why would one be $3000 and one is $59?

19. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Ill second this.

20. caferace

caferace No.

Makes sense. Danke.

-jim