1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon/ Fishing boats... Teach me.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Make up some tools like it did :). Actually only thing you really need is a device to press the pin out of the spool shaft. The rest is just either flowing the parts diagram, YouTube video if that suits you, etc. I do quite a bit more than just bearings, as well I usually just do the bearings that have an effect on casting. Polishing gears and any interface parts up, true up the spool and shaft, lube is vritical, use good quality stuff and the right amount. Also other little things like polish the eye, shim side to side spool play, etc. Really it’s common sense like modififyng a race bike. Reduce friction.

2. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

I've got a coupon code for 10% off online purchases from Sportsman's Warehouse. I won't use it before it expires. No idea if it'll work for anyone other than me, but whoever PMs me first can have it.

3. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

So, I've discovered Northern Pike fishing. Trolling with big original Rapalas and casting into weed edges with jerkbaits. Holy crap is this fun, they absolutely explode on the bait. I had a monster come out of the water and miss it about 5 feet from the boat. Scared the crap outta me. I really wanna eat one, but the lake we were fishing has a 40" minimum. Heading to a different different lake tomorrow with a 26" minimum. We'll see.

Funkm05 and groundhogday like this.
  4. groundhogday

Often smaller fish are better eating than big ones. We don't have northern pike here, but do have muskies. The only keeper I've ever caught was right at the 30" minimum. It was really good to eat.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

What?! You spit out what appears to be a wealth of knowledge and experience but you don't reap the obvious reward!?
    That's like Barry Sheene saying he didn't do it for the crumpet, I suppose. :D

6. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

7. groundhogday

Has anyone ever used a float tube? Most of my fishing is done in small creeks, wading. But there's the occasional pool that's too deep to wade. A kayak would be a pain in the ass because I'd spend far more time dragging it around than paddling it. Plus a tube would be way easier to drag up and down steep creek banks.

8. You can say I truly do it for sport :) I am in Japan right now, not much bass fishing to be had here but I am hoping Wednesday afternoon to get some fishing done on a small charter boat. Pretty sure I am going to end up being the bait but oh well.

9. BHP41

Dude! Hit up MegaBass while you’re over there. Bring some of that JDM stuff back !

10. I’ve got lots already I’ve picked up, some top secret Tokyo Drift stuff, for Fishing :)

BHP41 likes this.
  11. groundhogday

Man, the Japanese are hard core about their fishing. They demand quality equipment, and they're willing to pay for it.

12. I’ll be in Nagoya tomorrow through Thursday, there’s a store just a quick train ride away actually. I usually find some trick crankbaits and more important spy baits. Stuff is not cheap though, not in the least.

13. groundhogday

I'd love to have one of the JDM ultralight bait casting combos. You can get JDM stuff here, but it definitely ain't cheap.

14. groundhogday

15. I’m not convinced in a lot of their stuff, rods mainly. They seem to go overkill on a lot of little details which end up doubling the price of the rod. I’m a detail guy but I don’t need machined bits just to have them to drive up cost. Reels on the other hand, they have it together.

16. groundhogday

Anybody still fishin'? Cold weather finally set in, so I'm looking for some insulated waders. Any decent budget ones? I'm still shore fishing some, but having to stay out of the water limits me some.

17. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Season’s done for me. Put the boat into winter hibernation last week. Justin time for the first snowfall. :(

18. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I was holding out for one last chance to get out if the weather got back into the 40s or 50s. Looks like the boats going into storage next week.

I don’t do cold. Good thing I live in Wisconsin.

19. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

What an absolute shit year for fishing. I only got out twice. Once with a buddy on his boat, once on the Pontoon, and Dad's boat in the foreground never left the barn all year. We winterized them on sunday :(.
    [​IMG]
    I'll get out much more for the hardwater season though. That can't come soon enough.

20. BHP41

Went out Sunday. 33 deg. Was a good day. Headed to Tenn this weekend then making a stop on G’ville. Then back for Thanksgiving and I’m fishing while everyone else is doing family stuff so I should have the lake to myself with perfect weather.