1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon/ Fishing boats... Teach me.

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

If you’re not keeping pike to eat, you’re missing out. Hands down, my FAVORITE fish to eat. Just chunk the filets, use a Cajun batter, then deep fry. DELICIOUS.

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    A lot of little bones, but man good eatin.

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

There’s actually an easy way to get bone-free filets for beginners. Leaves a fair amount of waste, but the patience/skill will come with time once you realize how worth it they are. :D

4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Pike are awesome. Used to catch a TON (2-3' with a couple 4' monsters once in a while) of them at the cottage when we were growing up, and threw them all back because we were after the walleye and crappie for the table. It wasn't until my early 20's with the cottage long gone that I found out how great they were to eat. Don't catch many of them on the lakes that I fish now, but when I do they (2-3') don't go back anymore. Pretty easy to get around the y bones. You tube search for the different ways to do it and after the first couple fish it get's pretty easy.

Funkm05 likes this.
  5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I’ve been wanting to try it. Local lakes have crazy size limits. The only ones you can keep are monsters, and so obviously don’t wanna do that.

6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Eh, qualifier, this was years ago when I was a kid. Used to go with my father and grandfather up to Lake Nippissing in Canada. Drift the weed beds throwing Johnson spoons with pork rind on them. Dad used to filet them, were always a few bones, just had to be careful and not shovel it in with abandon. Deep fried, yummy.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  7. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Great, now I'm craving Pike. I grew up in Michigan and it is one of my favorite fish to eat. Not a lot of them in Alabama.

8. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

Check out Refrigiwear for reasonably priced insulated clothing. They have jackets, vests, bibs, gloves, boots, etc.

9. groundhogday

Missed work today. I'm in a lot of pain. Right shoulder, arm, wrist, hand. Waiting for an MRI to find out what's going on. I decided to get out of the house to get my mind off if the pain. Put gas in my car, bought a pack of pop, and decided to go to the park and try to catch some fish. It was slow, but I wasn't looking forward to the drive home. Driving is one of the most painful things for me to do. Caught a couple of small redeyes, a couple of little smallies. Then, I caught my biggest bass of the year, and my biggest ultralight largemouth ever. 15.5" long. About an hour later, I went to the other side of the creek and on the first cast got my biggest smallmouth ever, and my biggest ultralight bass ever. 16" long. Caught another 14" largemouth after the big smallie. I'd never caught any bass other than smallmouths in this pool before in over 15 years of fishing it. Thankful to be blessed with those fish. The pain wasn't the only thing on my mind for a few minutes.

FB_IMG_1539733947580.jpg

FB_IMG_1539733955346.jpg

Funkm05 likes this.
  10. Scotty87

I spot a Ned rig. You catch em all on that?

Nice fishes, BTW

11. groundhogday

Yup. That's all I've used the past couple of weeks. I'm pretty new to using it. I'm finding that with ultralight gear I have to set the hook with authority rather than just reeling and gently setting the hook like the conventional wisdom says. Last time I went out I hooked two nice smallies on ned rigs, and both threw the hook jumping. At least one of the two was bigger than the one I caught today. It was in about a foot of water when it hit.

12. Scotty87

I pretty much used to just flip docks with wacky Senkos and big jigs. Thats fun, and I caught fish, but I'm really liking finesse fishing with the ned rig on spinning tackle. I like that TRD worm and color also. Lately been using a TRD Hula Stikz in black/blue with pretty good success.

That's what I'm learning about fishing - even though it's all 'fishing' it's soooo different. You can have a completely different experience just bass fishing depending on technique, season, etc. Figure in big lake salmon, trolling, panfish, surf fishing, etc. and it just gets more varied. Such a great diverse sport.

BHP41 likes this.
  13. groundhogday

I'm mostly a light tackle fisherman. Most of my fishing is multi species, done in small creeks near my house, and fish are usually well under 2 lbs. I've always mainly used cranks and spinners, but the past month and a half fish have been reluctant to hit anything I usually throw. So, I slowed down my presentation and started using less flashy lures. First roadrunners with a 2" slabalicious tail. The combination does pretty much what a ned rig does. Falls slow, and stands up on the bottom. I tried the TRDs and finesse jig heads because the slabalicious plastic isn't very durable. I've yet to wear out a TRD. I've lost several from getting snagged, so I need to look into weedless jigs. I've also found that fish will hang onto the TRDs longer.
    I never gave soft plastics much of a chance before, except for super flukes rigged weightless on a worm hook. I never could get the feel for it, and always fished them too fast. I'm having a lot of fun with it now. Especially all the different ways fish will hit. They might grab it on the fall right after it hits the water. They might hit it on the fall after you pop it up on the retrieve. They might tap-tap at it before they commit to taking it. They might pick it up and swim away from or towards you. They might slurp it up and not move and you don't even know you have one until you pull the slack out of the line. They might hammer it so hard they practically hook themselves. Every situation requires a little different response. With cranks or spinners, it's mostly the fish grabs it, you set the hook, and that's it.

14. Nice work. Fishing is better than a therapist, or maybe it’s how I’ve kept myself from ever going to one. Either way it’s a great way to get your mind focused on crap that’s bothering you :)

groundhogday likes this.
  15. I’m pretty sure after news of my epic fishing last night gets out sponsors will be calling. I had my scale in the other boat so no weights on anything but in a bit under 3hrs (inncluding about 20 min on phone). 6 hybrids, 5 large and 4 spots. It was like spawning season. Plus 4 very big crappie tha I wasn’t planning to catch

groundhogday likes this.
  16. groundhogday

Learning a new technique is therapeutic in itself. I get what you said a few pages back about fishing spinners and cranks getting boring. Using soft plastics, and using them for finesse fishing in particular, is a whole new learning experience for me. Makes it more interesting and rewarding when I get it right.

17. Yes indeed. I pre made a bunch of leaders in 15lb flouro this morning, trying not to lose anymore big ones. I’m going to take the ranger out tonight and see what happens. I’m only bringing 4 rods (well probably 8 but doubles of each). Drop shot, Carolina, top water with a Zara spook painted metallic purple with a bit of white. No idea but why that particular color seems to work at night over black and a chatterbait. I’ll bring a bunch of other stuff but I have to be desperate to re tie on the water. Made up a slightly different drop shot hook with swivels. It’s in between a #1 circle hook and an offset but not quite the bend of a wide gap. It sits perfect in the water and I actually made a little template for it so I can make more. I actually have to clean a couple reels and swap bearings this afternoon. It’s always funny Fishing with someone new when you have ceramics in. They look at you stange as it sounds like your reel is going to grenade when you cast but you can throw a fluke 50 yards :)

18. groundhogday

Loud bearings save lives?

19. Well this is why I keep coming back fishing, caught 1 under 2lb, lost a decent size one right by the boat and 2 crappie what liked the Ned rig.

20. Scotty87

Any info or how-to guides available on swapping those bearings?