1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jodi arais trial.

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Black89, May 7, 2013.

1. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Is this bish who banged her bf then while he was taking a shower stabbed him slit his throat and shot him in the head going to get off? Jury deliberated 13.5 hours today. Jury of peers is garbage I wouldn't trust half my peers to bag my groceries.

2. ton

ton Arf!

i'll save my outrage for the verdict.

i'd be astonished if it's an outright acquittal, but i wouldn't want to be on a jury that has to deal with the nuances of 1st degree, 2nd degree, manslaughter, etc.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

This case shouldn't be that tough.
    Surprised they didn't finish deliberations on the walk back to the room.

4. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

the judge's charge to the jury must have been a nightmare to listen to. Lots of "If this, then you have to do that..." kind of stuff for people too stupid to avoid jury duty.

5. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Why on earth would you put them down? That's like putting someone down for voting.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  6. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

I was the foreman on a 1st degree homicide jury in February. I too was worried about my fellow jurors, but was pleasantly surprised how serious they took the case and their arguments during deliberation. We were provided the jury instruction in a binder to reference. It made things a lot easier for us when deliberating to just go down the list of requirements to convict the defendant of the crime and answer yes or no if the requirement was met. Then discus the charge as a whole after answering those questions. It took us a day or day and a half to reach a verdict.

I get that people don't want to take time out of their lives to serve on a jury and that it can be boring at times, but if people don't, then our justice system will collapse. I'm glad that I did my duty and served on a jury.

7. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

The same people who avoid jury duty are often the very ones who demand justice. Gotta love when people want community but refuse to participate in that community.

8. Black89

9. klebs01

Since when have jurors been able to ask witnesses questions?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know they're allowed to review all the evidence and the like but re-questioning witnesses doesn't sound right. That and it's also one of the oldest jokes I've seen on the net (there's a whole list of questions like that floating around attributed to lawyers).

11. klebs01

I agree, about it being a joke, wasn't sure if Black meant it that way though. In the trial I was part of, we could not review evidence or transcripts, and had to rely on our recollection and the notes we took during the trial. We were provided a pencil and a small notepad that had to stay in the court room at all times. The notes were all we could use during deliberations.

Did have several funny moments though. One where after about 45 minutes of testimony from the state firearms expert, the defense attorney go him to admit all he really did was read the casing to determine what the caliber of the casing found was.

Had another one when the defense was trying to offer an alibi of being at an auto parts store and that they supposedly had a receipt. The prosecutor was questioning about how there was no actually receipt, when in runs what may have been a family member waiving a piece of paper in the air that was supposed to be the receipt. We were quickly rushed out of the court room so the judge could deal with that one.

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

That would seem to be a worse way to arrive at an informed decision.

13. tanks95

tanks95 Well-Known Member

Innocent.

14. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

I get pissed when friends call me for advice about how to avoid jury duty. "Die or move to another county. Seriously though, its an important responsibility as a citizen. You have to go." That's usually met with stony silence. :D

It is a total pain to put your life/family on hold to attend jury duty. But you should see some of the jury pools that are called in. And of course there are always a number of folks who try to weasel there way out once they are called in. Its pathetic.

15. Black89

we will find out at 4:30!

16. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I dont know what your state does,but my state only pays something like $10 or $15 bucks a day and my work pays nothing for jury duty. I dont know about you but I cant pay my bills or feed my family on $10 bucks a day so yea I am getting out of jury duty, you may have my seat!

17. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Yeah, its like $15 bucks a day here, to cover parking and lunch.

Lots of non-working poor enjoy jury duty, and at the other end small business owners hate it.

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have been called several times. I only ask off if I get called for criminal court. Because my job entails working closely with the DA, Solicitor and Judges, I am always struck. It is a waste of time and money for me to sit there.

19. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I was under the immpression that employers have to cover your salary while on Jury duty?

If not...that makes it pretty easy for people to get out of a trial.

I was on a Federal Jury about 13 years ago. Trial lasted two weeks. I lost some overtime, but my base salary was paid...

I would do it again if asked. Small price to pay to be an American.

20. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

Guilty of 1st degree!