1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job Exit Interview: Bite my tongue or let it all out?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I agree with Clemson. Be honest, but be constructive about it. You have no idea what may be going on behind the scenes. As a 20-year HR professional, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve waited for someone to FINALLY tell me the truth “on the record” so I could use that to make the push that’s been needed. Often times, I know what’s going on, but without being able to have valid data to back it up, my hands were tied. I’ve been able to use a quit to get a GM moved out, as it was the final straw that I needed to convince ownership it was time, as they were having a negative impact on the business is multiple ways.

quikie, Hotfoot and bacolmm like this.
  2. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Last job. 3 people left the same position, all only lasted 6-10 months, all giving the same feedback on why they were leaving and what the problem was. Nothing changed. Attitude from mgmt was 'Well, we just need to find better people'. Have to know if management just doesn't care, or really doesn't know. This place didn't care. When I left, I just told them I have a better opportunity in a hard-to-find position, and there isn't anything they can offer me to convince me to stay. Then I put up with 2 wks of my boss trying to tear apart and undue all of my work to discredit me at work, but that just screwed themselves over when someone had to try and redo everything later.

Current place, bunch of people left in a short period of time with the same complaint. Upper management removed problematic person and found someone who would correct the issues. This place cares, which means if I had a complaint, there's a chance it would be worked on without me having to quit. It's a nice feeling.

3. racerx43

racerx43 Well-Known Member

If it helps your team/peers as you leave, be polite and factual and help them understand where they can do better for those that remain. If it’s your boss (as the problem statement) consider making it more generic- its a small world and any harsh words may come back to you. It’s cool to say “we see things differently” or any other way of saying you are here and they are there... hope this helps

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Imma agree with the wee bastard.

Leaving this company will be a relief of all the anxiety, pressure and aggravation it has caused you. You owe them nothing, including a frank airing of the conditions that caused you to leave. Thank them for the opportunities you were afforded and wish them well.

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

"I really enjoyed working here but I have what I hope is a really great opportunity. So I wish everyone here good fortune and hopefully I am right on the decision about the new opportunity."

Anything else and you are being a moron.

6. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

And I just found out what I'll say. Thx guys!

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

:crackup: all kidding aside just make it about your new opportunity and how you hope you are not making the wrong choice.

I worked with a guy once who him and his VP were worse that oil and water (a little of both were at fault IMO). When laid off he was all "I am going down to tell him off" I suggested to the coworker if he really wanted to get under the skin of the VP be polite and ask for a letter of recommendation. The entire group cracked up until they realized I was serious. I told him not only will that grind him more but you will get a smoking good letter, he did :beer:

It is not all about burning bridges. It is all about your reputation as a professional. You never know who else hears about you complaining and how distorted it might get. Smile, tip your hat and ride off.

The.Johnner, beac83 and DmanSlam like this.
  8. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

LoL...
    So they offend rocks.

rd400racer likes this.
  9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

When I depart from a job, it's been my policy to work until my last day, and at quitting time toss any of my personal stuff in a box and walk out. Done.

motoracer1100 and sheepofblue like this.
  10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

11. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

If I'd have been drinking coffee when I read that last line I would've sit it all over my computer! Thanks for the laugh!

Circacee and rd400racer like this.
  12. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

This is some funny stuff

I view letting it all out at your exit interview as analogous to the Cortez burning his ships story, it forces you to move forward and never look back. All depends on what your intentions are.

13. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Go out like a gentleman. Say good bye..be done. Walk away clean.

sharkattack likes this.
  14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Also depends on who is at the exit interview and the size of the company. If the exit interview is with one of the people that is the problem (or the problem is immediately above them in the chain of command), just drop it for sure. If it is with someone from HR that could implement changes, you could politely and professionall let them know there is an issue.

15. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

It’s been close to 2 years since I left a job of 20+ years that was so toxic I got to the point in the a.m. I’d have rather eaten a bullet than keep working there. By the grace of whomever, I received a call asking if I would please jump through the hoops to get where I’m at now, and figured nothing to lose at that point. Got through all the clearances and here I am alive and kicking. For years leading up to the moment I would leave out of that last place,I always envisioned it would be in a mushroom cloud of glory. Instead , I worked up to my last minute just as productive as ever with my boss still trying to give me more money and another promotion.......but after 120+ years in business, that place was set in its ways....good and bad, but heavily leaning towards more bad than good and unwilling to adjust for the better. I would just shake hands before you clock out on your last day, and leave respectfully.

DmanSlam likes this.
  16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Fuck 'em.....Adios.....:moon:.....Buh bye.

17. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

My last day at my current job is Friday. I Can’t wait to never come back here as an employee again but the owner is a great guy and will give the shirt off his back. It’s a good company but just one of the most boring jobs ever and not for me. For awhile I thought I was going to burn my company shirts, but now I’m just gonna throw them away and I just spent $200 on some ribs and BBQ for the guys in the wire mill and gonna have a thank you lunch with them tomorrow. Should be fun but leaving Friday is going to be a huge weight off

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What's next?

19. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Next Monday starts 10 days in a row of flying. Then may put some days in between but gonna Finish Com single, multi, then Cfi asap. Will pick up flights here and there with some of my old music industry contacts that have some light piston twins and also have a few corporate contacts too but will be flying as much as possible until I hit 1500.

Flying in the airlines is the goal.

HPPT likes this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Rough time to get into the business. I hope it works out.

ChemGuy and Steak Travis like this.